PDA

View Full Version : I really don't get it?

Your Old Dog
02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I have no special love for cars so why is it everytime I get near on of these I get a firm on?

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/41456/2104604810102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2104604810102651310rHOAka)

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/25853/2408502310102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2408502310102651310xfaAIe)

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/12257/2650458640102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2650458640102651310FxrEHr)

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/36723/2131714780102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2131714780102651310rMTnDk)

IOWOLF
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Yep , I'm woodin' up also. :)

smiller6912
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
'cuz it's the badist assed car ever built.
I've often told mommy-dearest that when I hit the lottery, I'm gonna' get me a Harley and head out 'cross country lookin' for one of these........
Carroll Shelby is my hero

dan s
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
I would prefer A Hertz special myself.

531blackbanshee
02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
proof of manhood.

j king
02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
do the same for me..2 years ago I was ready to buy a factory 5 kit and build one.Then I realized that you cant secure the car without a roof and if it rains you will get soaked.The convertible tops look terrible.Worse that terrible.That did it for me.now I look and think that I am too practical.Dang it!

Forrest Addy
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I could buy one those little scooter cars out of petty cash but Id rather tool around in my rusty 1970 Chev pick-up. Chicks like rust, dents, exhaust smoke, gray hairs, fat, bad breath, and poverty.

mikem
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Shell Valley Motors in Columbus, Nebraska, builds kit copies of the cobra and I think that they have a website if you want to drool. It takes jeeps to get me drooling.

A.K. Boomer
02-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Forest, you just made half the guys on this site blow geritol all over their monitors ------ Bad Addy ----- Bad bad Addy:D

topct
02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
If anyone knows where there is an original small block, with Weber carbs, I will pay $350,000 for it.

bhjones
02-08-2008, 04:26 PM
The car in the photo is a "new" version of the car. While I'm sure it's a wild ride, if $$ was no object I'd rather have an original or one built to original specs. This car is no "427" cobra with that little 4 liter motor in it.

Mad Scientist
02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
The Cobra is the current hot car in the kitcar world, with numerous manufactures to choose from. Add a little ingenuity and not all that much money (relatively speaking) and you can build a replica that will run circles around an original.

Personally I prefer the styling of an old MG.

Alistair Hosie
02-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I would like to drive around town (not log distance) one of those round fronted 50's American pick ups they look cool.Alistair

oldtiffie
02-08-2008, 05:00 PM
I have no special love for cars so why is it everytime I get near on of these I get a firm on?

Maybe you need a firmware upgrade/update?

Roy Andrews
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
these cars do it for me to. they make a hard top that looks ok and will keep you out of most weather.

Rookie machinist
02-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I could buy one those little scooter cars out of petty cash but Id rather tool around in my rusty 1970 Chev pick-up. Chicks like rust, dents, exhaust smoke, gray hairs, fat, bad breath, and poverty.

If it's only "petty cash" can you buy it for me:)

Dawai
02-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't know about the "smallblock with webers" but I set the valves on my magic motor last night, been in 8 vehicles now.

"Race Engine Design" machine shop stole the good rods when they shot-peened them and cleaned them. I'd say they are racing somewhere. (hard to trust machinists)

1972 chevy 4 bolt main 350ci block bored 030 over
steel crank turned .010 under,scat rods, badger flat top pistons, no dish cut,Comp cams mild cam/lifters, factory (stinker) heads with new valves/rockers/balls and sig erson springs/keepers/screw studs. Demon carburetor, Holley red elec fuel pump, Weiland intake, HEI Billet tuned distributor, Stainless small tube headers, Mt valve covers, orange paint.

Body? I have been looking at the 77 chev 4wd w/granny to break it back in. it won't be fast. It had rippled every body it has been in and actually used. It ain't supposed to run that good. It may not this time. The magic may have been in the rods that got stolen.

It was in,
1957 chev truck
1965 impala station wagon
1972 Nova (totalled)
1969 Camaro? (not sure I ever started it)
1969 chev stepside swb (sold without engine)
1959 sedan delivery (dumped a HD engine through the rear glass on take off)
1982 olds cutlass calie (was diesel, only cranked in car)
1980? Monte Carlo (only in there a week before totaled)
1965 El Camino (went 160mph)
1977 Monza Spyder w/iroc 5 speed. (got me laid off after I passed bosses viper)
1941 chev one ton dump truck (never started)

Monza got the valve springs since it was acting tired from abuse it got a kit. Only tougher engine I have ever saw was a 327.

Mac1
02-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Chicks like rust, dents, exhaust smoke, gray hairs, fat, bad breath, and poverty.

Joe Diffie had a hit song about the chicks and pickups.

Well I got my first truck, when I was three,
Drove a hundred thousand miles on my knees
Hauled marbles and rocks, and thought twice before
I hauled a Barbie Doll bed for the girl next door
she tried to pay me with a kiss and I began to understand,
There's just something women like about a PickUp Man
When I turned sixteen, I saved a few hundred bucks
My first car was a Pickup Truck
I was cruisin' the town and the first girl I seen
Was Bobbie Jo Gentry the homecoming queen
She flagged me down and climbed up in the cab, and said
"I never knew you were a Pickup Man!"
You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill
and I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille
I got an eight foot bed that never has to be made
You know if it weren't for trucks we wouldn't have tailgates
I met all my wives in traffic jams,
there's just something women like about a Pickup Man
Most Friday nights, I can be found
In the bed of my truck on an old chaise lounge
Backed into my spot at the drive-in show
You know a cargo light gives off a romantic glow
I never have to wait in line at the popcorn stand,
'cause There's just something women like about a pickup Man
A bucket of rust, or a brand new machine
Once around the block and you'll know what I mean

BobWarfield
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I drove mine into work one day and saw the new kid on the block was there, so I parked next to it to compare the lines:

http://www.thewarfields.com/img/FrontCobraViper.jpg

http://www.thewarfields.com/img/RHSCobraViper.jpg

http://www.thewarfields.com/img/RearCobraViper.jpg

The original lines are still classic. Mine has a 427 side oiler and a Top Loader. It is a Contemporary kit. It's the second Cobra I've owned. The first had a really nasty aluminum headed side oiler that was just way too much. The present car is more fun to drive.

Someday, I plan to CNC a throttle body injection system for the side oiler. I have done some drawings of such systems:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/CADDrawings/351CEFI/Perspective.jpg

Topct, I'm not sure you're doing the owner any favors even at that price. But, if you're serious, here's where I would go look for one:

http://www.thewarfields.com/MRYRaces2004a.htm

Cheers,

BW

Your Old Dog
02-08-2008, 08:27 PM

You know Forrest, at first blush I was going to argue but as I think about it, I've seen a lot of foxy looking women hanging on to the hairy smelly arm of some butt ugly dudes. You hit it on the head :D

I had a pretty well heeled client when I was engraving guns. He owned a Porsch. It was time for a raise but he rejected them from the company that he owned for tax purposes so he took out his raises in perks. The Porshe was sold to by the Cobra. Boy did it look funny on my street full of side-by-side duplex apartments in Joe Lunchbucket neighborhood! He told me it went like a raped ape but that his Porshe was a much nice handling car. He said his Cobra....and I'm quoting here.." handles like a pig compared to the nimble feel of the Porshe"

The car in the photo is a "new" version of the car. While I'm sure it's a wild ride, if $$ was no object I'd rather have an original or one built to original specs. This car is no "427" cobra with that little 4 liter motor in it.

Anything that will get my arse from parked to 60mph in 3.2 seconds has enough motor for me. The only thing the 427 will do for you is buckle knees when setting at red lights !

Bob, I can imagine you get your moneys worth from that rig every time the light turns green :D

Guido
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Ford collector cars? This one followed me home from LA, piled in a uHaul trailer. Previous owner(s) had various ideas on making it into a racer, while running out of time/money/interest. Car was a hulk, but no rust. About 16 months in the making, sparetime. '87 Turbocoupe drivetrain. Fun, fun, fun.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/mustangtwo.jpg

G

BobWarfield
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
You know Forrest, at first blush I was going to argue but as I think about it, I've seen a lot of foxy looking women hanging on to the hairy smelly arm of some butt ugly dudes. You hit it on the head :D

I had a pretty well heeled client when I was engraving guns. He owned a Porsch. It was time for a raise but he rejected them from the company that he owned for tax purposes so he took out his raises in perks. The Porshe was sold to by the Cobra. Boy did it look funny on my street full of side-by-side duplex apartments in Joe Lunchbucket neighborhood! He told me it went like a raped ape but that his Porshe was a much nice handling car. He said his Cobra....and I'm quoting here.." handles like a pig compared to the nimble feel of the Porshe"

Anything that will get my arse from parked to 60mph in 3.2 seconds has enough motor for me. The only thing the 427 will do for you is buckle knees when setting at red lights !

Bob, I can imagine you get your moneys worth from that rig every time the light turns green :D

They do handle like pigs when compared to Porsches. But, you get more friendly waves from all kinds of folks and more Smiles Per Gallon than any other car I've owned.

Git 'er pointed straight before stepping on the loud pedal and then just hang on for dear life. Then turn around and do it again.

Cheers,

BW

bhjones
02-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not a single brand kind of guy though most of my daily drivers have been GM brands. In the muscle car area I'm a big 68-70 Road Runner fan (an early girlfriends dad had a 69 1/2 440 6 pack car that left an impression), but with the pony cars the early Mustang Fastbacks are at the top of my list (close second is the AAR Cuda).

Very cool choice for a motor. I love seeing them, but there is a LOT of 289/302 motors in these cars. I'm waiting to see a worked over SHO motor in an early Mustang.

Ford collector cars? This one followed me home from LA, piled in a uHaul trailer. Previous owner(s) had various ideas on making it into a racer, while running out of time/money/interest. Car was a hulk, but no rust. About 16 months in the making, sparetime. '87 Turbocoupe drivetrain. Fun, fun, fun.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/mustangtwo.jpg

G

pntrbl
02-08-2008, 10:26 PM
'87 Turbocoupe drivetrain. Fun, fun, fun.

Turbocoupe as in Thunderbird Turbocoupe? You got a 4 cyl in there?

SP

BadDog
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
My first "real car" was a '70 340 Bara"cuda". $70 Delivered with no motor or trans, front seats in the tied closed trunk, hood through the rolled down drivers side windows... I was 15... and the Cuda was an ex-campaigner with a 5.13:1 spooled Dana 60 (all that was left of the drive train) that had run behind a trick Hemi (so I was told). I got a 340 Magnum out of a wadded up 340M Duster and was on my way to teenage Nirvana after 9 months in my Grandfather's basement going through every system. It was an absolute GAS up to 1/8 mile when it ran out of wind red-lined at 6k (too low gear), but what a blast!

Next up was a '72 L82 350/350 that came to me with 4 different sized tires, a wheezing motor now devoid of the fuely bits, and 7 cracked paint jobs. A year later and she's sporting a "modern" 2 tone based "Silver Anniversary" paint scheme (stripped - then silver on top, midnight blue on bottom) with all new polly bushings, dropped 2", new fiber high rate rear spring, "Stockcar" style steelies, low profile 50s all the way around, ground effects, and a tricked out "B&B" HP small block with a red line at 7500. Crashed that one at 135 (slowing down from a top speed pegged at 160), which is why I have so much trouble with my legs now (cut one off, spent a year in a wheel chair). No insurance, so the car was a total write off, but a guy who had raced me bought the scrap for $1000 at auction even just to get what was left of the motor (which came out in the wreck with the bell housing still attached).

After I got out of the hospital, I needed something to keep busy, so I started sniffing for a project (still in a wheel chair). Found a low mileage '66 GTO setting in a horse pasture. 64k miles, faded original paint, never wrecked, all the go fast AND luxury options, even had the Ralley I wheels in the trunk. $600 and a chainsaw to cut the trees down that had grown up around it, and in my Grandfathers basement it went (drive basement in by the way). With both legs still in casts, I rebuilt the entire brake system, suspension, pulled the blown (original) 389 and dropped in a hot 455 ($200 donor Grand Safari station wagon) with the tripower (what? That's just a stock 389! Missing a bit, must have a fowled plug. How much we putting down on this race?? <evil grin>). Left leg was the one cut off and put back on, and I knew it would be a long time before I could drive a stick (if ever), so I swapped in a Th400 at the same time. Lots of fun, and it got me out of the wheel chair faster than the doc ever though possible.

So yeah, I "get it". The SCs have given me wet dreams for years. I was actually thinking I might start a kit project since I got rid of my Rock Crawler Buggy. But I've had my share of automotive history, and I have lots of fun with my 500 hp 800 ft/lb chipped Crew Cab Silverado that runs 14.6 quarter miles (4WD launch is a handful!!!) on street tires and can pull 15k gross up a 6% grade at 80 in OD while still getting 15 mpg (13 on the hills IF I keep it in OD), and 19.5 unloaded...

HTRN
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
The FE motor has undergone a renassaince in the last 10 years. Virtually everything ever made for them, up to and including SOHC heads is available as a reproduction. Dove is one of the big names for this kind of stuff, but Edelbrock and others are getting in on the act. Shelby recently started making Cast Iron blocks, and even Ford is getting in on the act. Using techniques like siamesing the cylinders and long stroke cranks yields numbers that would have had the original engineers bug eyed: 532cid is doable(at least with the GenesisFE block).

Add in EFI(Edelbrock makes an EFI manifold) and hyd. roller cams, and you've got a 750HP, 600+ ft/lb torque monster that will idle at 800RPM and run on regular gas.

HTRN

Guido
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
pntrble-----------
2.3 litre, as in 140 cubic inches, turboed, 5 speed T5, 8 inch differential 2.8 ratio, way to steep. Same drivetrain as an SVO. 2.3 drivers can opt for 32 mpg at 65 mph, or tickets up in the 134 mph range. The TCoupe was third fastest for '86, behind Corvettes and 302 HO Mustangs. A Taurus SHO v6 would be fun, but might not fit twix the shock towers without a bunch of butcher.

Fox body SVO set up for Buttonwillow track.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/svowr0.jpg

If you're up to it, we're familiar with a rust free '67 FB resting in your neck of the high desert. Most all of the pieces are there if someone wants a resurrection project.

G

Forrest Addy
02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Every man has to have a first go fast car. Mine was a 59 TR3 that I put a 1962 aluminum Olds V8 into with lots of badass parts. By the time it was done in 1966 it was a 375 HP Corvette killer. Think about it 1900 lb and 215 short stroke cubes. It would turn 9000 RPM. I drove it for a few years, loved it, got bored with street cruising, and grew up. Sold it. It's in Tennesee someplace last I heard.

Tim Clarke
02-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Well. Drinking a couple brewskis. Cobras turn my knob, for sure. Yup, they're cool. Had the chance to go on the local cobra tour, in oregon, a couple years ago. I was driving the rescue rig, also known as 'the sag wagon'. The local group likes to spend a couple days every summer touring the backroads in Oregon. When something barfs, like a fuel filter, or a waterpump, out in the dingleweeds, one needs a trailer. I was the guy who provided the support. The first night, at a eastern oregon motel, we ran across 2 guys out traveling with their new corvettes. Pretty sexy rigs, also. They came over to our group and asked: Geezeus, whatta car, whattarethey? The answer was, Cobras, original, and replica. One guy says, Humph. My corvette'll do 140MPH. The answer was, So What?

These cars look like speed, if the design is over 40 years old.

TC

pntrbl
02-09-2008, 01:13 AM
2.3 litre, as in 140 cubic inches, turboed,
I call them 2.3's Pinto motors Guido and I know them well! My best motor turned 8 grand twice a lap on a 1/4 mile dirt track. Think adult bumper cars. :)

As a matter of fact the hot ticket was the bottom half of an intake from a turbo motor. The rules said no aftermarket intakes but if it had a Ford casting number it was legal by me. The matching D-port head never came on a Pinto either. An adapter to mount up a 500CFM Holley and you were good to go.

Here's a a pic of me and the Evil Pinto after winning a feature.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/EvilPinto.jpg

Got $175 for that win but Jeez, it took a $400 set of Hoosiers to do it. The best way to make a million out of racing is to start with two .....

Thanx for the offer on the 67 FB BTW, but would you believe I've got a 68 coupe I've owned since 1980. Spun the tires in it leaving the church after getting married. Brought my babies home from the hospital when they were born. Someone will get it after I'm dead.

SP

J Tiers
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
3.2 to get to 60?

Slow.

Saw in the paper a day or two ago a little article in the auto section...... Some Italian car for 1.6 million a pop. 1K HP, 230 mph, 2.6 to 60, looked good, but maybe not quite as good as the Shelby.

Gets good mileage (for a crazy car), not that an owner would care...... IIRC, 9 city and 12 highway...... Every bit as good as a 12 second quarter GTO.

Your Old Dog
02-09-2008, 10:56 AM
As the thread is still going, here's two more shots. Note that the 460 is 20lbs lighter than the 427?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/39563/2793056900102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2793056900102651310bQSliX)

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/41505/2711562730102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2711562730102651310sKwIOx)

HTRN
02-09-2008, 11:18 AM
As the thread is still going, here's two more shots. Note that the 460 is 20lbs lighter than the 427?

Nope - the FE motors weigh 625 pounds, the 427"cammer" weighed 680, and the "385 series"(429/460) weigh 720.

Linky (http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html)

HTRN

pntrbl
02-09-2008, 12:23 PM
HTRN, you must know them old FE's real well. I've got an old 65 F250 with a 352FE in it I use around town for hauling or whatever. Stout old truck but the FE sure doesn't stand for fuel economy!

SP

Peter S
02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I've seen Cobra and Shelby mentioned, but lets not forget the originator and builder of the car (AC in England). Though nowdays of course there are no doubt many different companies turning out replicas. In NZ one of best is (or was) made by Graham Berry - very nice, tube frame, aluminium body, $$ etc. A friend has one of the not-so-nice replicas - fibreglass and based on another cars sub frame. This type of replica has the disadvantage of very small pedal space, I had to remove my boots to drive it. Still looks nice though, just don't drive it too far.

HTRN
02-09-2008, 01:45 PM
HTRN, you must know them old FE's real well. I've got an old 65 F250 with a 352FE in it I use around town for hauling or whatever. Stout old truck but the FE sure doesn't stand for fuel economy!

SP

Actually, my thing is vintage Chryslers, specifically ones that take sparkplugs through the valvecovers.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Emoticons/thumb.gif. My friend Tony got me down that path - he is/was heavily involved in Goodguys, and like any addict, tried to drag his associates down the same path.:D All it took was the sound of Blown 426, idling on a fat mix of nitro, and I wanted, no, I NEEDED it. Of course, about ten seconds later the little voice in the back of my head whispered "Dude, this stuff costs 35 bucks A GALLON, and you'd kill yourself doing this". Add in the fact that I'm really on the wrong coast for Vintage Fuel(mostly in California), and it put paid to that dream. Then I started thinking "Hey, there's no reason I couldn't campaign an Alky Altered in the fast brackets" and then because if you're gonna do an oddball car, you might as well have an oddball engine(especially as Dedenbear makes a superstrength Powerglide case with a modular bellhousing) so it became a matter of what engine to choose - I would have preferred a 392 Hemi, but the only modern block available was a solid, something that wasn't appropriate for something in the mid 8 second bracket.. So I started researching other motors, and then I got the bright idea to use an EFI equipped Cammer motor.. Unfortunatley, it never got out of the planning stages, as I decided that although I really like racing, I don't like it enough to eat Ramen everyday.

And yeah, "Fuel Efficiency" is not what they do too well.

HTRN

motorcyclemac
02-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Forest, you just made half the guys on this site blow geritol all over their monitors ------ Bad Addy ----- Bad bad Addy:D

Coffee...out my nose....Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Mac.