PDA

View Full Version : Me DRO's died [ R.I.P. ]

John Stevenson
02-08-2008, 07:14 PM
I have a Bridgeport 2J here fitted with a Heidenhain 2 axis DRO that died today on the long scale.

Pulled it to pieces and it's damaged beyond repair. Choices are now to get a new long axis scale to fit the display, read rare, old and expensive or dump the whole lot and update to a new unit.

I'm in favor of the latter, doing a search I can find a complete two axis setup with choice of scales up to 37" for 350 UKP which is a good price here.

Or they do a 3 axis unit, again with choice of any three scales for 400. The machine has a caliper scale on the quill and I am satisfied with that but for an extra 50 quid I could put a scale on the knee.

Here's the link.

http://www.onyx-dro.co.uk/3MX.htm

It looks like a Sino but the buttons are not quite the same, Has anyone got one of these or the handbook for one ??

I'm not interested in getting one from abroad as I need this yesterday, can't do much this weekend other than research but I can jump in the Donald and bob down and fetch ne on Monday.

Bguns
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
What no Gas axe? :)
Or those round things with scratches on them..... :) :)

Life would suck if a DRO died on me (don't have one yet though).. One of these days....

Might be worth a quick run through here :

http://www.kellysearch.com/qu-product-363.html

Someone has a Dusty New Old stock one sitting on a shelf...

That model could be a problem up here for me, only rated to 0 C. :)
It is still -20 F here brrrr.

Sparky_NY
02-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I have the same setup. A bridgeport 2j with a old heidenhain dro, pos-e-touch model. I believe heidenhain has current scales that are compatible with the older units. Also, scales turn up on ebay time to time.
Which scales do you have? 503's?

Your Old Dog
02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
clumsy bastard.............

paybacks a bitch ain't it :D

trukr
02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
poor choice of words on my part. I see how it could be misinterpreted. I purchased the Heidenhain DRO on ebay several years ago thinking i would be able to repair it. Could not find any display elements to replace the burned out ones so never did anythig with it. Ended up buying a new Jenix.

Timleech
02-09-2008, 04:02 AM
http://www.onyx-dro.co.uk/3MX.htm

It looks like a Sino but the buttons are not quite the same, Has anyone got one of these or the handbook for one ??

I'm not interested in getting one from abroad as I need this yesterday, can't do much this weekend other than research but I can jump in the Donald and bob down and fetch ne on Monday.

John

I think it's their 'budget' display. I've got one of their
DROs on my CVA, it's definitely a Sino but it was bought before they brought out the budget version.
This link takes you to their Sino branded displays

http://digital-caliper.co.uk/digital_display.php

I've got the manual for the lathe version.

Tim

John Stevenson
02-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Trukr,
Just read your post and it is queer.

YOD,
Nice one :D

Well I'm going to see what travels I want and ring them but they probably won't be open today.
The Budget option will be fine as it streets in front of the 1/2 thou 30 year old Heidenhain tha's on it and I know the Y axis can have fits at times.
Upside is I spotted one of these older Heidenhain displays on Ebay a few weeks ago and it stuck at 15 all week and I was going to buy it as a spare but it made 85 at the death so that at least may be some clawback.

This company is about an hour away from me and I have to go within 5 miles of them on Monday anyway, not being jewish trying to save 7.00 postage :D but it's no contest.

Also not bothered about the knee display but for another 50 again it's no contest and if a get the Z scale the same as the X if it packs in after the warranty I can loose the Z to keep X going.

I am dead in the water without the DRO on this machine as a lot of what I do relies on incremental moves and I don't have time to piss about with converting metric measurements to use on an imperial machine.

I'll keep you posted.

sconisbee
02-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I have the lathe version of that console and a set of scales for one of my lathes, granted it was an import from ebay and not that company but the kit looks the same, and i've been thoroughly pleased with it the manual that came with mine was 80% gibberish tho:rolleyes: All in all i would buy another at the drop of a hat, and look forward to finding out what the one your looking at turns out like as i really should replace the one on the mill soon.

Timleech
02-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Trukr,
Just read your post and it is queer.

YOD,
Nice one :D

Well I'm going to see what travels I want and ring them but they probably won't be open today.
The Budget option will be fine as it streets in front of the 1/2 thou 30 year old Heidenhain tha's on it and I know the Y axis can have fits at times.
Upside is I spotted one of these older Heidenhain displays on Ebay a few weeks ago and it stuck at 15 all week and I was going to buy it as a spare but it made 85 at the death so that at least may be some clawback.

This company is about an hour away from me and I have to go within 5 miles of them on Monday anyway, not being jewish trying to save 7.00 postage :D but it's no contest.

Also not bothered about the knee display but for another 50 again it's no contest and if a get the Z scale the same as the X if it packs in after the warranty I can loose the Z to keep X going.

I am dead in the water without the DRO on this machine as a lot of what I do relies on incremental moves and I don't have time to piss about with converting metric measurements to use on an imperial machine.

I'll keep you posted.

I'll be interested to see how you get on.
The heidenhain display on my Elliott mill died, I got a secondhand display off ebay & almost immediately the Y scale died. There have been quite a few displays coming up on ebay but no scales. I reckon there's probably a component on the scales which is reaching the end of its life about now.
I've given up now with the heidenhain.

Tim

John Stevenson
02-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Well an update on this.

Rang Onyx up on Saturday morning and no answer which didn't suprise me so leave it until Monday to check stock.

Saturday afternoon the guy rang me back to se what I wanted, turns out he has everything in stock so make arrangements to collect on the way to Essex on Monday.

Find the place from his directions with no problem and collect, I head, 3 scales, 3 covers and big bag of brackets, bolts, screws, etc

Set to on Tuesday and get the X and Y scales fitted, X was breeze as the table is flat at the back and 3 holes lined up anyway.
Y was a bit more trouble as it wouldn't fit the Heidenhain brackets but a few tapped holes, spacers etc and it went on.

Z on the knee is going to have to wait a bit, not had one before so not missed.
Reader head was a straight connect up, the manual is in Chinglish and take a few readings before everything is clear.
set the resolution and directions and it's all working fine.

First job was fitting an encoder onto an existing bracket so used the 1/2 function to find the center of the original hole and bored it out with the boring head then put the 3 holes in using the PCD command.

Wowee cooking with gas now and looking for jobs to do on this.

It also has a 200 position memory according to the book but can't see what use this is because even with both shoes and socks off I can only count to 19.

Willy
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
John you'll have to drop your knickers and multiply by ten!:D

sconisbee
02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
It also has a 200 position memory according to the book but can't see what use this is because even with both shoes and socks off I can only count to 19.

Sounds like a sweet rig, will have to add that to my shopping list to replace the ancient newall on the mill scales are fine but the head isnt the best, though at least its repaired now, doubt i could find anything to just replace the console...

Anyway about that 200 position memory. The mTech i put on my lathe before xmas has the 200 position memory, and i have yet to figure it out, although i kinda understand it. Might be of use during runs of the same parts but maybe not, i checked and mine does indeed goto 200.

pcarpenter
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I once contacted Newall in the US (the are a UK company) and their customer service was very good. The fellow was very helpful. You may find that servicing what you have is a good choice. Don't get me wrong--I have one of the SINO dro's on my lathe and am quite pleased. Still, its no Newall....and the nearly bulletproof Newall stainless steel tube scales are above par. The Newall DRO I have is the rather simplistic Topaz model and its for my Bridgeport mill.

paul

Bruce Griffing
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
John-
I know this is too late, but 2 months ago when I was in Singapore I called this guy up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meister-TOP10-3-Axis-Digital-Readout-3-Scales-Mill-DRO_W0QQitemZ140207372628QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41939Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a DRO from him and carried it home on the plane. He said he has replacements for existing scales, including Heidenhain. If you want to use what you have left of your old system on another machine, it may be worth contacting him.

John Stevenson
02-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bruce but it's at least 30 years old and I'll be chasing problems.

It's had a good run for it's money given it's only a 1/2 thou reader and just two axis.
It can't even go on a lathe accurately as it doesn't have the diameter function.

Tim has a couple of these and his are slowly dying on him.

Time to move on, but thanks.

sconisbee
02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
The Newall DRO I have is the rather simplistic Topaz model and its for my Bridgeport mill.

I'm waiting on an email back from newall about the posability of using a new console with these scales, what i have now is at a guess the old version of the topaz its a digipac5 very basic but good and the scales work perfectly. im hoping that they will say yes it will work with one of our newer displays, and hopefully it will work with a console with a few more functions as the digipac 5 doesnt even have a 1/2 function:(
If al else fails ill go the same route as John