PDA

View Full Version : Rockford 9" by 36" mill.....

66glide
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
One HP, single phase, powerfeed on X-axis not working (works manually). Newbie who knows nothing needs to know if it's worth considering and how much is it worth?? (I know that's a tough question without seeing it, but....)

JCHannum
02-08-2008, 08:23 PM
It is probably a Rockwell, not Rockford. They are a very good machine. I have one and am quite satisfied with it.

They made two versions, a strictly vertical and a horizontal that was usually also fitted with a vertical head. They are very simple machines, and one of the main benefits is they can be easily dismantled into smaller pieces which are easily handled, making it possible for one or two people to install in a location not easily accessed with a larger machine.

The combination machine is worth a bit more, but prices generally run from $1000 to $2500. Condition and accessories of course will make a difference.

brucepts
02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
It could possibly be a Rockford. I have a circa 1950's or 60's 9x36" Rockford sitting in my shop looks like a mini BP, very well built machine for it's size. It was sold as Rockford, Hedwick, and Logan Model MV-100

Did you look at the powerfeed? Any ideas of why it's not working? My mill had a powerfeed and it was not working also. I'm missing some parts to mine. I finally saw one on ebay the other month and was able to see what I was missing so I can now make something up for the engage/disengage lever.

66glide
02-08-2008, 11:12 PM
No, this is on Ebay in California. I'm in central Canada so shipping may be too much to handle but....if anyone is interested, I think its currently at $56.33!

rantbot
02-09-2008, 03:18 AM
That looks like no Rockwell or Rockford I've ever seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-9-x-36-VERTICAL-MILLING-MACHINE_W0QQitemZ140205607389QQihZ004QQcategoryZ12 584QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

brucepts
02-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Yup thats the same mill I have sitting in my shop, Rockford, Hedwick, Logan all sold it. Made by Fenlind Engineering CO, Rockford Ill.

Motor sits in the base, has a variable pulley setup mid-way up the column to control the speed with a high-low gear box. Belts run up the column to a splined jackshaft that runs front to the head which is all gear drive. Adjustable speed power downfeed quill. Head tilts left/right 90*, but it does not "nod".

Nice little milling machine!

A.K. Boomer
02-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Nice discription brucepts, Id kill for that kind of RPM range (80 to 3720)

What a different layout, id like to see it disassembled :)

Spin Doctor
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
What a different layout, id like to see it disassembled :)

Me too, especially if the pieces were going down my basement stairs.

A.K. Boomer
02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Check out the hight --- it would be very comfortable in most basements,

actually 2" shorter than the hoe, and twice the RPM coverage, take it away, its making me feel bad:(

Spin Doctor
02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
On second thought, myself I would have to pass. With no turret on the column it would be a major PITA for me to use. Using it would give me major backaches I think. One thing about the 6x26 Knee mills is although they are not as capable they do have the ability to have a spacer put in the turret.