PDA

View Full Version : They don't get cheaper than this.

IOWOLF
02-09-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

BXA for $13.00 among others.

lazlo
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Holy crap, I'd pay more than $13 for a scrap of A36 and the mounting hardware (to make my own)! :)

RobbieKnobbie
02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I just ordered one of the $12 ones (same holder minus the groove at the bottom) and I'm impressed for the price. I'm probably going to order one or two more before that sale ends.

On the other hand, I also ordered one of their center drill sets ($5) and they weren't so good. Each point needed to be resharpened and brought back on center. As I sharpened them I kept saying to myself 'five bucks... five bucks...'

J Tiers
02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm

We just had a discussion where a couple guys keep yelling that "you get what you pay for".....

What sort of consistency do you get for $13?

Interesting that the steel must cost a lot less where those are made..... Probably India.

Frank Ford
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I bought 20 of the AXA plain holders - they're Chinese and seem every bit as consistent as any others I have. Ten bux each makes them compelling, I think.

chengdave2003
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I bought four AXA's and three fit very nicely, the other had to be slighly opened up in the root of the dovetail. Just a couple of minutes on the mill with a dovetail cutter. At $9 and $10 each, I'd do it again in a heartbeat....

pcarpenter
02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Its like there's a long echo in here. I think there have been at least two separate threads on just this topic (tool holders from CDCO) in the last week.:rolleyes:

Paul

BobWarfield
02-09-2008, 11:46 AM
LOL, I thought JRouche had gone over the top on that other thread he ordered so many. I got 5 thinking I'd have spares. Shoulda listened to JRouche--stuck tools in the 5 and then wished for 5 more!

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Tooling/P1010185.JPG

Herm Williams
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I purchased from another source, same price range, after breaking one screw I ordered a box of screws from McM and replaced all of them. Works great for the price.
re

PaulF
02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi,
I just purchased 2 BXA holders from CDCO.
They are well made, However to lock them down you have to put another 1/3turn on the lever. That makes it point toward the machine head, on the operator side mind you and not a problem yet.
So I assume the dove tail is slightly wider than the Aloris I have.
PaulF

brucepts
02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Do you all have a tool holder "fetish"? LOL

BobWarfield:

Do you have any info on that neat looking tool height gage with the level in it?

HTRN
02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I think most of the suppy houses sell them, I know MSC does(they sell two versions, one for regular lathes, and one for slant bed machines).

HTRN

John Stevenson
02-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you all have a tool holder "fetish"? LOL

Moi ??

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/toolholders.jpg

No never.............

jkilroy
02-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Mr. Stevenson, er Sir Sudspumpwater, that pic is even more impressive considering that you built that system to your own design correct? Could it be assumed you made all of those holders? Do you just run stock off in long lengths and then cut to size for the holders?

Your Old Dog
02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Mr. Stevenson, er Sir Sudspumpwater, that pic is even more impressive considering that you built that system to your own design correct? Could it be assumed you made all of those holders? Do you just run stock off in long lengths and then cut to size for the holders?

Don't egg him on. He'll start getting delusions of adequacy :D

I was tickled pink with the 9-12 tool holder kit I bought from CDCO and the 10 extra holders. Coming from a lantern style holder I find it amazing to be able to change holders in the blink of an eye or remove a bit to touch it up on the stone post haste. I can honestly say I think the setup has improved the look of my work quite a bit.

HTRN
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
YOD, nice sig update.:D

HTRN

John Stevenson
02-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Don't egg him on. He'll start getting delusions of inadequacy :D

Too right.

Yes it's my own design and was built before the advent of these import holders.
Mine is arse about face in that the holder has the open dovetail.
I purposely did it like this as the closed dovetail can only be done with a dovetail cutter but the open one can be done in a long length with a 60 degree horizontal milling cutter doing one pass and then turn over and take another pass.

I normally mill a 18" to 24" long piece of bar down on the big old horizontal mill, it will remove this in one pass then as you worked out, they are cut off as needed.

I have three machines all with the same size toolpost and they can all share these holders.
I don't regret doing these as it's paid back many times but if faced with the same challenge today I'd buy the type shown in the pictures above.

I also make my own tools for a lot of applications.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/Tools.jpg

This is actually a spin off from a paying job.
One of my customers sends boring and facing machines out on hire to the oil fields and rigs.
They go out with 5 different type tools and tips depending on the job, always supplied new.
When they come back the tools are always missing and it pissed him that even though they were chargeable 4 of them would have been unused and probably 70 a pop so I offered to do him some cheaper versions.
So once the program was written for the CNC it was no great shakes to get about 12 of each tagged onto the order and hardened and blacked at the same time.