PDA

View Full Version : Bought a shaper! Need Vice Advice!

JSGAuto
02-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone,

A 7" atlas shaper just followed me home! Pics will follow soon.

I can't wait to try it out, but I need a vice for it first. I was looking through the Enco catalog and there is such a selection! What would be the best vice for this application? I also would try to keep the price reasionable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

Bguns
02-09-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.harpritsan.com/Castings.html

pgp001
02-09-2008, 07:19 PM
When you say you need "Advice", what you really need is a "ViceAd".

Someone on here might just have a spare, but I very much doubt it, they seem to be as rare as hens teeth, I was lucky mine came with its original vice.

Have you tried on the Yahoo site for Atlas.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Atlasshaperandmillingmachineusersgroup/

Phil

Al Messer
02-09-2008, 07:33 PM
In a pinch, you can "strap" workpieces to the table since the Atlas, unlike the South Bend, has "T" slots in the bed.

LastOldDog
02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
In a pinch, you can "strap" workpieces to the table since the Atlas, unlike the South Bend, has "T" slots in the bed.

Equipped my SB with a large fixture plate to accommodate Te-Co hold downs, Mitee-Bite, other odd clamping challenges. It is extra length and width, can mount a spindex, rotab, or small dividing head, registers on the slots on the table for repeatability on recurring jobs. Also, my shaper came with one 'side wing' for a greater platform size. I made more from weldments, heavy angle, also from ENCO angle plates cut down to size, then ground square again. Many other components available from the Bridgeport and surface grinder too.

Clamping and fixturing is limited only by one's imagination

Lloyd

IOWOLF
02-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Man, dog, you have made a career out of the hobby shapers adaptations.

Your Old Dog
02-09-2008, 10:29 PM
LOD, sure like to see some pics of your setup. Those sound like great ideas.

Tin Falcon
02-09-2008, 11:16 PM
If you have the time and bucks the casting kit is likely the way to go. Original shaper vises can and have gone on ebay for more than the cost of a shaper without a vise.
Mine came with a cheap $15 import drill press vise it workd but have to be carefull because the movable jaw likes to push up on the work piece throwing it out of sqare so I use a piece of hex stock in between.
Tin

JSGAuto
02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I was afrade of the real thing being expensive.

The casting part is nice, but being I don't have a mill, that would be challenging to get set up.

How about just a regular machinist's vice? Is there a half decent affordable one that would be reccomended for this?

Thanks
Jim

JSGAuto
02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/JSGAuto/machine/atlas.jpg

Bguns
02-10-2008, 12:10 AM
You should be able to do the machine work for the vise on the shaper ....

JRouche
02-10-2008, 12:32 AM
That looks like a very nice shaper!!!

I was looking for a vise for my lil mill and found a couple of small brown & sharpe vises for a good price. They are not shaper vises but whats nice about them are they are small but stout. Low profile. I already had a vise for my Logan shaper so they never got used there but the size is right.

I think I may need to sell off my shaper unfortunately. Just need the floor space. Not looking forward to the day I have to do it. Part of the family.. I am envious of you guys with all the floor space!!! Drives me nutts. JRouche

ammcoman2
02-10-2008, 09:17 AM
The vice for the SB is almost identical to the one supplied with the Ammco. I believe there are drawings in the Yahoo shapers site for the vise.

As you mentioned, a 4" low profile vise will get you going but make sure it is well built (hefty) on the moving jaw side. The Wilton
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=890-8816&PMPXNO=3463214
or equivalent will work.

Good luck with your new toy - it is going to hypnotize you - he he.

Geoff

LastOldDog
02-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Man, dog, you have made a career out of the hobby shapers adaptations.
Uh oh, you're on to me. Yes, I acknowledge the accusations of being anal on some of my 'hobby' projects. However, it is a HOBBY. and as such, whatever sparks a fire is good enough for me.

IOWOLF, I do not expect you to understand. Although, many of these endeavors are fixtures and special tooling that will remain with the individual machines for a hundred years I hope.

The next owners, and hopefully several others in the future, will have a plethora of special trick resources to make many jobs easier and perhaps even 'tip the scales' in deciding whether to attempt a challenging machining operation. I shant bore you with details.

New thought: I do look for your suspiciously 'tongue-in-cheek' sarcastic cynicism, it adds a subtle edge to the thread subject matter. Keep the faith.

Mike Burdick
02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
JSGAuto,

This isn't an answer to your question but since you have a shaper you might find some of this information helpful...

http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/shaper_columns.html

kruszert
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I have the same shaper and the same problem! I bought a 4" Palmgren low profile swivel vise and have made an adapter plate. Welded studs in to bolt the vise down. The plate is held on the shaper table using the T slots. I coutersunk holes for 1/4" flat head bolts, bolted the plate down then bolted the vise to the plate. I just finished it a few days ago and have only played around making a few light cuts. I am just learning how to use a shaper so I haven't really challanged the vise by making heavy cuts but it seems to work fine so far.

Of course by adapting a vise this way you lose some clearance over the correct vise set up but for me this wasn't a problem.

Reggie

Al Messer
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Tin, try using a piece of round drill rod instead. This is the trick the "old timers" used to keep things bottomed out in the vise.

Al Messer
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Reggie, I think that you have got the right idea. Congratulations for coming up with it. I was going to suggest a Micro-Mark drill press vise, but it does not have the ability to swivel as yours does.