PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ebay machine

J Tiers
02-10-2008, 01:18 AM
This was posted by another person over on PM, but deserves to be shown here.

I know what it WAS, but what it IS is quite different.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150211358094&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I won't comment on whether it was worth the work, but it sure is interesting.

JCHannum
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM
That does look like a Companion lathe that has been upgraded with parts possibly from other lathes as well as shop made from castings. I have not seen a taper attachment that size before.

I don't see anything particularly amateurish about it, and at the time it was made, it was probably the only way the builder could get a lathe. There were not a lot of small machines available, and money was tight. It quite obviously was worth the work to someone.

Rudy Kouhoupt had a series several years ago on a shop made shaper he had aquired. It was a small bench sized machine made from castings. It was probably 30's vintage or possibly earlier. In those days of no TV or websites to waste their time, people actually could actually be creative and make functional tooling. In many shops, during idle periods as when a lathe was taking a long cut, the machinist would occupy himself by making tools and tooling from bits and scraps. Similarly, a pattern maker could make a pattern and mold and make a casting from the end of a pour. This was acceptable in most shops.

I have several very nicely made bits and pieces I have aquired, and prefer to use them when possible over manufactured items as it is a connection with the maker.

I also have little doubt that salesmen from tool manufacturers cruised the shops for ideas to incorporate into their lines and that many of the tools common today were the creation of one of these people.