PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP wizards needed!

cybor462
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I have been trying to get my system 100% after my little problems. I dumped Norton and have gone with AVG which was suggested here. It seems to be the right move. The only problem I have now, it has popped up in the last week or so.

When I turn the computer on, it stalls at a light blue screen which is right before the password screen. Sometimes it stalls when it says on the screen windows starting up.

It stalls and I am forced to use the button on the computer to shut off and restart. Some times it will then start ok or not. I have found that if I shutoff the wireless router (this pc is hard wired to it) it will start ok after I shut down and restart.

I am sure it is software. I performed the PC Doctor testing of hardware and it comes up OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

hitnmiss
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Mine's doing about the same thing. IT guy at work said to run a free registry cleaner from download.com. It found several pages of things but it still has the same random problem you describe.

My motherboard is pretty old, maybe 6 years. Sure hate to have to rebuild it.

kendall
02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
open up explorer (not IE) and check in folder options in the tools tab, then to view and check to see if 'automatically search for network folders and printers' is turned on, if it's on XP will sometimes keep looking for them.

Ken.

mochinist
02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Mine's doing about the same thing. IT guy at work said to run a free registry cleaner from download.com. It found several pages of things but it still has the same random problem you describe.

My motherboard is pretty old, maybe 6 years. Sure hate to have to rebuild it.Im far from a computer expert, but I have been told more than once that those registry cleaners inevitably do more harm than good. Its probably time to just do a fresh reinstall of xp.

cybor462
02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
open up explorer (not IE) and check in folder options in the tools tab, then to view and check to see if 'automatically search for network folders and printers' is turned on, if it's on XP will sometimes keep looking for them.

Ken.

Yep mine was turned on, I turned it off and will now see if it makes any difference. I have now encountered a new problem. It seems Comcast has made major changes to their online storage (I use it) and now it will not work.

Any others have this problem? If so anyway to get around it?

tattoomike68
02-10-2008, 01:11 PM
Windows XP gets buggie after a while here is how I deal with it.

I have an external hard drive that I back up my web sites and pictures and important stuff on. I keep it unhooked and powered down when not in use. I also keep a copy of my drivers on that hard drive. 80 GIG HD I paid $50 for it.

When the machine start acting up I just nuke it and put XP pro back on it. I dont run any virus scanner or firewall other than the hardware router.

The xp pro install takes about 40 minutes and aftwards my box boots in less than 40 seconds. The box runs fast with no scanners or firewall.

So my advice is back up your data and nuke it and reinstall XP, it will run like a new machine again.

If you dont want to nuke it try running crap cleaner on it. http://www.ccleaner.com/

rgbai
02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
try this. This also works as a system checkup. This is how you would perform this IN windows XP.

1.) Click start
2.) Run
3.) type 'CMD' then OK
4.) in window type 'cd c:\' to change to C:\ prompt if not already there
5.) at c:\ prompt type 'sfc /scannow' WITH YOUR WINDOWS XP DISK IN DRIVE!(Don't type these ' ).

It will varify your system against the disc and copy any files to their correct home if they are corrupt or missing. I hope this helps you or any other reader.

JS
02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
This also works . LINUX

or

2 drives one for the XP and the other for programs and files .

And keep a back up drive for XP.

I just cleaned up a computer 2/8/2008 . The owner is not very computer friendly . Four years of crap never been cleaned ....

kendall
02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Yep mine was turned on, I turned it off and will now see if it makes any difference. I have now encountered a new problem. It seems Comcast has made major changes to their online storage (I use it) and now it will not work.

Any others have this problem? If so anyway to get around it?

I got rid of comcast a few months ago. too many outages and costs kept climbing, it was certain that either late February or early march, I'd have a week or two with no access, then again in october I'd get knocked down to slow dial up speed for a few weeks, and all through the rest of the year I'd get slow or no service at random times Finally got tired of it. DSL gives me roughly the same speed at half the cost, and so far no headaches, always works.

The network folder setting -MAY- have been running because of the online storage, didn't think about that with my first post.

However if it wasn't working before that they may have changed the address of the online storage and the 'network' is looking for it in the old location. If you can still see it then I don't think that would be the issue but it's possible.

Ken.

aboard_epsilon
02-10-2008, 03:34 PM
think your hard drives on the way out

these are the symptoms that go before it finally buggers up all together ..

may go on for weeks until one day it wont get past the black screen ...gives you a choice o trying to fix the trouble ...

it fixes it ...only for the fault to return a few weeks later ...

then you get the choice again ...only it cant be fixed ...and its new hard drive time.

next time you get past it ...

do the check disk for errors and fix routine ...

be warned though

Microsoft's idea of fixing errors is to delete vital files sometimes ...and this will bugger the drive up ...so you would have to format it .

formating may give you another year ..cause it then ignores bad sectors.

so save all the files that you want to save now ...before you loose them ...bacxk them up to discs or a plug in hard drive .

all the best...markj

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Before you put a brick through the screen try this. Run scannow /sfc on it. You "may" need your original copy of XP handy as this utility normally rest on the disk and isn't loaded with the software. It has saved my bacon many times. It's a utility from XP that double checks the registry files and makes sure everything is at it should be. If you add and delete programs a lot it is possible to contaminate the registry by stuff left behind that could have been scrubbed.

here's a link. Just Google scannow /sfc if you want more info.

http://www.compphix.com/windowsfileprotection.html

I run it when my computer seems to be running slower than normal and it normally makes a big difference. Wouldn't hurt to defrag the drives if you haven't done it for awhile.

cybor462
02-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Good stuff. I am so stupid when it comes to Windows anymore. SO much stuff can go wrong and cause problems.

I will first do a backup. I run one once a month and I am do. After I will try a few things you guys mentioned. I installed Tax Cut software around the time it started and the software was crap. I got a refund and uninstalled it. This could be the trouble. Sounds like a few of your ideas will determine that real quick.

Comcast did an upgrade on their servers and everyone is mad. I guess they caused tons of trouble for many. I use them to host my pics for ebay and now they do not work. I need to get fixed right quick too.

Thanks fellas for the help. I will post my results if I have any.

Jim

airsmith282
02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
i have been repairing computers for years now ..for my self and as a business an when windows gets cranky the best thing is to back up the importante stuff and nuke the drive , keep in mind if you get even 1 bad secotor on a format then the drive is toast and will mess up alot so pray for no erros on a format then just reload and go ,, also avg is the best for AV and windows xp fire wall is ok and so is a router fire wall.. not that firewalls really work at all but its ok to run the 2 of them and have no hassels at all and dont forget to do all your xp updates before you start putting programs back in the system,,,,

cybor462
02-10-2008, 10:47 PM
i have been repairing computers for years now ..for my self and as a business an when windows gets cranky the best thing is to back up the importante stuff and nuke the drive ,

My only problem, and I still do it after being burned, I have most of my software as web downloads. Most I have no clue how to get it again, many will not allow downloads after a time period. If I blow away the drive I lose all this software.

I know better but I am also in a hurry so when I need software I download it rather than get the cd.

So I have to make it work.

I am backed up but I do not trust that either.

cybor462
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks YOD that scannow seemed to fix it. SO far so good

Your Old Dog
02-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Great, glad to hear it! It's worked magic for me damn near everytime I've used it.

cybor462
02-11-2008, 09:29 AM
I may have been a little hasty thinking it was fixed. It did it again today. I have been getting closer to the cause. It seems it may have something to do with microsoft netframework. I will keep at it.

aboard_epsilon
02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
go to

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

and get an update ..

the net framework i think is optional ...so never updates on its own ..

all the best.markj

macona
02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
This also works . LINUX

My solution is I am installing OSX on my PC. Ill run windows through VMware. Just waiting for a new MB so I can use my old coreduo processor I pulled out of my mac mini when I upgraded it last week.

Evan
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
The dot.net framework is optional however a lot of software requires it to run. What it is is a large run time library of functions that the software needs to operate and allows the actual program to be much more compact because it doesn't need to include those functions in it's own code.

I have not yet seen any boot problems that could be traced to it.

Right click on My computer and select Properties. In the properties sheet select Advanced. Pick the Startup and Recovery item. Then uncheck the box that says 'Automatically restart'.

This will prevent XP from doing an automatic reboot in the event of a problem. Instead it will present the XP version of the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). However, the XP BSOD sometimes actually contains useful troubleshooting information.

A problem during the initial startup can be either a software or a hardware issue. Go to http://memtest86.com/ and download the ISO bootable image of the tester and use your CD burner software to make a bootable CD. Then boot the machine from the CD and let it run for a few hours to see if any problems show up. If they do you have a hardware problem. Even just one single failure means that something is wrong.

That should keep you busy for a few minutes. :D

cybor462
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Evan, I thought it may be related to net framework because my system has been trying to install those updates for days and they keep failing.

I will try your suggestions next. I feel it is software since I get it stalled at the blue screen and hit and hold the power button on the computer and it re starts and usually will go to the password screen and then will boot. If it were hardware I do no think this would be the case. It is like Windows tries to load something and when I reboot it bypasses and continues.

Does this sound possible?

Evan
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Sure it's possible. But get the hardware test done first. The memory test doesn't just test memory, it checks the power, motherboard CPU and the ram. They all have to be working right for it to pass. Memory problems are not uncommon and can cause the exact symptoms you describe. So can other issues but the hardware test is easy and free.

cybor462
02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Evan..ran the test and it was error free. I see my system keeps trying to update the net framework from Windows update and each time it fails. This must have something to do with it.

I looked at Microsofts web and there is a load of info on this. I spent hours reading and am more confused now that when I started.

tattoomike68
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Windows update is a virus if you ask me. Disable it , reboot and never use it again, you dont need it at all.

Its the problem not the cure. :eek:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm

cybor462
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Its the problem not the cure. :eek:

That is the truth. The only problem security updates are the most common. I hate Microsoft products totally but they have us by the gonads! Most business use them and many tie that into what we have to use. Most of my online banking requires IE to access. I hate IE but I am forced to use it.

I still have problems and do not want to think of formatting. That sends shivers down my spine.

aboard_epsilon
02-12-2008, 11:57 AM
how about trying system restore

try a restore to before you had the problem ...

you can go back months

all the best.markj

cybor462
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
System restore will only go back to the point I installed the AVG virus suite. It does not fix the problem. Net framework is the trouble I am all but sure now. Programs are not running and I get the .Net framework error messages.

I will be calling Microsoft and HP (HP computer) later today or tomorrow.

cybor462
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Ok looks like I got it.

First if any of you guys have .Net framework trouble email me and I will send you a cleaner and the good files. The cleaner will repair and clean the registry and then you install the 2.0, 3.0 then 3.5 update (I have those if you need them) and WOW it works.

Now that was one of my troubles...

The next was good ole Norton.. I was tired of their conquest of the world and went with AVG. To my surprise(yeah sure) it left all kinds of junk in the registry that was causing trouble like interest used to, compounding daily.

I uninstalled all the goodies it left behind. Many would not uninstall. Then I ran CCleaner and cleared it out. Still some where left. I then went to msconfig and used selective startup and stopped the last of the norton crap from starting. Now all I need to do is stop them for good. I know there is a way just can't remember. I am sure one of you guys can tell me how to edit the services to stop them. I did it years ago but forgot. That is all I need to get it permanent. Right now select start is doing it but I want it to be right.

Anyway it boots up first time every time and I did not format!

Wowza!!! I did it. Adrian, I did it!:rolleyes:

aboard_epsilon
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
start up in safe mode

and delete files with NAV or norton or simantec in there names

all the best.mark

robert
02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Try this--Norton removal tool.---RG

pcarpenter
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
One problem with using scannow with your original XP disk is that it may have replaced files with old ones from the original disk....files that might have since been updated through one of the service packs or hotfixes.

I would be sure to run Microsoft Update (similar to "Windows Update" but updates other MS products besides just the OS) to insure that you are up to date. Many of the fixes that come out replace operating system files with newer versions, and often this is done to plug security holes.

Paul