PDA

View Full Version : Bigger is better...but can be costly!(bandsaw)

torker
02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh boy.. Got a new blade (pricey bugger @$65)(was the only one in town) for my Wells bandsaw and got it cutting. Using a 6-10 bimetal the ol' girl just sings through the 1X4 flatbar and 3" rounds). Umm.. until something twisted the vise a weee bit. Then it went to hell. New blade now has most of the teeth ripped off it. Have to wait for over a week for a new one now.
I'm pretty sure I had the blade way too tight also. I'm used to my lil' 4X6 that needs the blade tightened so it sings. This saw... the tensioner has far more power and it can twist the front wheel causing the blade to run too far off the wheel. (Is there a "Rule of thumb" for tensioning the blades on these bigger saws?)
Lesson learned... get a new machine.. take it easy til you learn the quirks or it'll cost ya! :(
Russ

wierdscience
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Russ,the bigger machines have much better guides which do most of the work.The simple way to set tension is to run the guides apart to their maximum opening(largest width the saw will cut) and then tighten the blade until it takes about 10 lbs of force to deflect the blade sideways by hand pressing in the center.

mochinist
02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
That'll teach you to just buy one

Herm Williams
02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Been there did that, found two problems, not enough lubricant and the vise not set tight enough. The lub and the brush that removes the sawdust from the teeth can let swarf be dragged thru the material and buildup enough to break a tooth. When one tooth breaks the following teeth are destroyed. Check feed pressure, speed, tension, lub, and clamping. Let us know what you find.
re

HTRN
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
That'll teach you to just buy one

I have a theory that bandsaw blade life is inversely proportional to the number of spares on hand - you only have the one, and suddenly that blade has a life expectancy of 10 seconds.:rolleyes:

HTRN

mochinist
02-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I have a theory that bandsaw blade life is inversely proportional to the number of spares on hand - you only have the one, and suddenly that blade has a life expectancy of 10 seconds.:rolleyes:

HTRNlol truth

garyphansen
02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
The answer is band saw blade coil stock and a blade welder. Gary P. Hansen

quasi
02-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Torker, buy a used portaband off of ebay for a very useful backup for your horizontals.

interiorpainter
02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Destroyed a rough saw in thin wall stainless tubing doing a welding job.
Only 1 blade and the other mistake... crunch.
Finished the job with about 5 or 10 theeth:D Bump bump bump..

beckley23
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
One thing I've learned about bandsaw blades is that you have to break them in. Reduce your speed and feed by half for about the 1st 300sq inches, and you should be OK, then go to the recommended speeds and feeds. I didn't break in a blade once and had the same experience you did.
Make sure your other adjustments are correct. Coolant will greatly extend the life of the blade, although it can be messy at times.
Harry

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 06:58 PM
If you ain't heard from Sir John then hang on! But then again, he might still be busy with problems of his own :D