PDA

View Full Version : I've stood alls I can stand I cain't stands no more!

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 06:49 PM
After buying many SR44 batteries for the digital calipers I finally put an end to the routine of changing batteries so often.

This is an AAA and should get me a little better service. I suppose you guys down in Houston and the Florida Keyes don't have this problem but up here in the frozen territories these little batteries get the life sucked right out of them. If this don't work much better the next one will be D Cell.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/6938/2286974550102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2286974550102651310ESIupV)

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/8659/2407649610102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2407649610102651310TJCOoj)

Weston Bye
02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm presuming that you will dress the leadwire or somehow tie it off to avoid snagging it on something.

Why not machine a button cell-like contact? A brass ring shaped like the shell of the battery with a hole through the back for wire passage, a nylon insulator, and a brass central contact button with a stem to solder a wire onto.

Notch the cover to let the wire out through.

Two conductors from a piece of ribbon cable becomes a mini 'zip cord' that would be less prone to snagging.

I like your battery holder.

oldtiffie
02-10-2008, 07:33 PM
After buying many SR44 batteries for the digital calipers I finally put an end to the routine of changing batteries so often.

This is an AAA and should get me a little better service. I suppose you guys down in Houston and the Florida Keyes don't have this problem but up here in the frozen territories these little batteries get the life sucked right out of them. If this don't work much better the next one will be D Cell.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/6938/2286974550102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2286974550102651310ESIupV)

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/8659/2407649610102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2407649610102651310TJCOoj)

Thanks YOD.

Too good.

Too true.

Too obvious.

Too late.

Bu**er it.

I guess we've all had that problem - I've heard about it and had it happen often enough, but this is the first, best and easiest solution that I've seen.

And its so bl**dy obvious once you pointed it out.

I've lost at least 2 digital devices - calipers and protractor - through leaking batteries (NOT the cheapies either!!).

I take the batteries out of each battery-powered device/tool I have in the shop after I've finished with it. I test the batteries ("Tandy" tool/tester) before I put the battery in before each use.

PITA - but its the only way - until this.

This really is one of those "banging open palm of hand on forehead and "Sh*t yeah"" items/moments.

Is getting swarf or coolant or Shop gunk into the battery holder a problem?

aboard_epsilon
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
they should bring them out with solar panels on them ..like the calculators

problem solved then .

all the best.markj

PS ...i also think they should bring out an extra beefy version ,...perhaps 8MM thick

with micrometre anvil pads or what ever they are called, on it.

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
theyt should bring them out with solar panels on them ..like the calculators

problem solved then .

all the best.markj

Ain't that the truth!

Actually the wires are now dressed and a small hole drilled to run the wires through so I could put the battery cover back on it. That photo was just to show guys it is possible to solder in the small space.

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
......Two conductors from a piece of ribbon cable becomes a mini 'zip cord' that would be less prone to snagging.......

Is that multistrand? I'm using 22 or 28 gauge single strand, that's why all the extra wire so that it might last a little longer with the lazy bends in it.

Weston Bye
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Is that multistrand? I'm using 22 or 28 gauge single strand, that's why all the extra wire so that it might last a little longer with the lazy bends in it.

Yeah, the ribbon cable,- the grey 'ribbons' inside a computer connecting the drives to the motherboard - contain multiple conductors. Each conductor is around #26-28 seven-strand wire. Stranded is generally more flexible than solid.

Two strands can be 'zipped' off the edge of an unused ribbon cable. care is needed soldering, and some sort of strain relief is a must, as the wires break most often right at the solder margin.

IOWOLF
02-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Solar, I had one,not enough light in the shop to keep it alive.

Bill Pace
02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Yep, solar didnt cut it at my house either...

I had a little solar powered calculator I keep on the workbench and it gave me fits, til I got like Dog (had had enough!) and replaced with a battery model --- which I had to try 2-3 places to find --- they seem to ALL be solar.

I've got what looks like the same DRO, --which I can never seem to remember to turn off!-- , but I still get quite a good life out of... maybe 5-6months? Course I AM down here in the South...

Speaking of batteries, I prowled ebay for them and bought 50, yes FIFTY, for a PENNY ...so youre saying, yeah but what was the frt, well, even at $9.99 is was still a bargain, 50 batteries for $10, .....and those are the ones I get the 5-6mo life from.

Oldbrock
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Cold? you guys in ny have no idea. try a visit to Alberta today, -40, with wind chill -55

jdunmyer
02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Disclaimer: I've never bought from these guys, but their prices are better than local one-off purchases: http://www.sr44.com

My Mitutoyo 'Z' readout has had the battery replaced once or maybe twice in the 10 years I've owned it. Even my $20.00 caliper goes a year or more on a battery. Now, the Mitutoyo digital mike seems a bit more power hungry, but the 'AAA' Solution wouldn't work for that.

Didn't that long thread on digital calipers talk about battery life? Some of the cheapys don't really turn 'off', even when they say they're 'off'. Actually, I never turn the 'Z' readout on my mill to 'off' anyway.

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey Wes, thanks for the tip. I got a bunch of those ribbon cables from old compukers. I'll see if that don't work better.

If I could have gotten 50 of those SR44 batteries for $10 bucks I wouldn't be complaining as much. $10.00 will get me 3 of them at the drug store. I don't think Radio Shack is any different.

Someone here sometime ago said they actually bought some little led flashlights just to get the batteries for something else!

Your Old Dog
02-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Cold? you guys in ny have no idea. try a visit to Alberta today, -40, with wind chill -55

Yea, that's why I thought they should of given that part of the world to the Indians......................if they'd have it :D

JUST KIDDING !!

lane
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
YOUR OLD DOG their are a set on E-Bay But you might have to fight me for them .

darryl
02-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice solution- done that myself with the clock in the van, the mp3 music player in the van, and one of my old voltmeters-

I figured that a D cell would have more output than a C cell, so in one case I opted for that. Then I discovers that the D is a C inside- if the D don't weigh almost twice as much as a C, you don't get any more bang for the extra buck.

Anyway, I get more than six months out of the mp3 player now, whereas I was getting about three weeks before on the pair of aa's. The clock will run for two years, and the voltmeter still has that same alkaline that I adapted to it.

I was in Costco the other day and saw a package of 'precharged' nmh cells. Part of the pack was a pair of D cell adapters to allow the use of the AA in something meant for the D cell. Same for the C size- why can't we buy the nmh cells sized to suit? Check out the C's and D's in the stores- they are AA's inside and don't weigh hardly any more than the AA's.

Don't bother with a D cell maglight unless you can get military batteries- they are, or at least used to be real D sized alkalines, with D sized innards.

At any rate, here's an idea- why not make an led ring light for the mill, then tap some power from the adapter to micro-trickle charge the alkaline being used for the caliper- or just run the caliper direct from the adapter with a simple two part circuit -

Dawai
02-11-2008, 12:12 AM
I finally tired of installing batteries in the laser cross hairs I have on the mill.. I hooked it directly to the usb cable for 5vdc off the computer. psst.. it's the red and black wires.. 4 wires in a normal usb cable.

I forget to turn it off now. still.

tmarks11
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Check out the C's and D's in the stores- they are AA's inside and don't weigh hardly any more than the AA's.
Yeah, pretty incredible. My wife bought some of those, and I laughed when I saw that the battery capacity of the high-quality AA (2700 mAh) NiMH cells I have was greater then those of the NiMh Energizer-brand "D" (2500 mAH) cells she bought.

I have bought alot of the powerizer brand of NiMH from http://www.batteryspace.com/ , and you can buy true C (5000 mAh) and D cell (10000 mAh) NiMH batteries there (they also have deals on ebay better then on their website).

Weston Bye
02-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Putting a AA cell in a C or D cell housing is somebody's way of keeping energy density low. A cluster of D cells, overheating and bursting into flames is a greater hazard than with AA's. Not that there is a greater chance, just that if it happens the damage will be greater.

Same goes for the battery powered car. All that energy there, waiting to get loose.

QSIMDO
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Now someone needs to mount a small alternator on the spindle to recharge the battery. ;)

darryl
02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Qsimdo, so easy to do. Good idea. Actually, you wouldn't need a battery or power source at all- just a coil of wire, a rectifier, one filter cap, and a super magnet stuck on the spindle somewhere. If there's not enough charge on the cap to start the caliper, just power the spindle for a few seconds, then the caliper is good to go for a minute or two. That idea should be good for the ring light as well, only it would need the spindle to be rotating for the led array to light. Would still need a filter cap, and a simple regulator as well. Hmm.

Ah, but you'd have no light unless the spindle was turning. Might make it impractical. Whatever.

wierdscience
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Granted it only gets down to thirty in the shop here,but I buy Energizer and have no problems for three years or better out of a battery.

That's a good work around YOD,I have heard from several people that some import scales are better than others in battery life I have no clue why.

Is yout battery life any better in the summer?

dewat
02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I've been buying my batteries from the dollar store, the multi pack comes with small ones I don't use but I get 5 and sometimes 10 of the ones I need for a buck.

Paul Alciatore
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
For gosh sakes, if you are using a bunch of any kind of battery, buy them in bulk.

www.digikey.com

www.newarkinone.com

www.mouser.com

or any electronics supply house. You will get much cheaper prices.

For storage, put them in plastic bags, seal the bags to keep out any moisture, and put it in the vegetable draw of the refrigerator. They will last for years beyond the expiration date that way: half way to forever. But in the fridge, NOT the frezer.

Evan
02-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I just want to know why my solar powered calculator turns off automatically after five minutes.

Your Old Dog
02-12-2008, 06:18 AM
I just want to know why my solar powered calculator turns off automatically after five minutes.

I thought most everything hibernated this time of year that far North? ;)

My batteries do much better in the summer then in the winter. As for buying in bulk, I hadn't seen this offered in bulk but, as long as the unit stays in one place I think this will be more convienant.

john clements
02-13-2008, 09:35 AM
A big part of the problem of these devices eating batteries is that (if they are cheap chinese ones) they don't switch off when you hit "off"

They just kill the display not the process. If you dont believe me, zero the caliper and switch off. Now measure some known item like quarter inch rod with the device still switched off. Now turn it on again and it will show .250.

John C