PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of DRO on square column mill?

carlquib
02-11-2008, 03:02 AM
I have one of the industrial hobbies mills and was wondering if anyone has pictures of one of these machines or a similar machine that has a DRO. I have one of the quill read outs but would like to get something for the x and y to make it easier to make sure that I don't get caught by miscounting turns. Sadly I have missed more than once by +/- .010, usually when I didn't take the time to layout first.

-brian

oldtiffie
02-11-2008, 05:02 AM
http://www.industrialhobbies.com

ahidley
02-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I have one on mine
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27489

carlquib
02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks Tiffie, that was the first place I tried. Aaron used to have a very good link with pics, I didn't save them and now it appears the DRO notes page is dead. There are a few pics on the site where you can kind of see the scales but I would like a few better pictures. Am I missing something?

ahidley, I looked at the thread that you posted and can see the end of a scale, but how did you go about mounting them and what procedures do you use to make sure that the scale is true with the table? The DRO that I have in mind has mounting brackets for a bridgeport style machine so I am not sure how well they will adapt to the IH mill

Anybody else got an IH machine that has a DRO mounted on it? Mine is the older model not the 12Z model. My original plan was to just CNC it but the cost of a turnkey package has gone out of site.

-brian

KiloBravo
02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
This should be close to what you want.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27220&highlight=rf45

I actually copied the entire IH site to my Hard Drive when he announced he was closing shop. I will see if I have the pics :)

Enjoy,
Kevin

ProGunOne
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
I have the IH mill/drill with 3 axis DRO that was installed by Industrial Hobbies. Unfortunately it's buried on one side of the garage. A remodeling project that just seems to keep growing. :o It will take some digging to get to it. PM me with your e-mail address and I'm sure I can send you some pictures. Paul.

carlquib
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks ProGunOne PM sent.

kben77, that is what I am looking for. I want to see what my options are. If you have the stuff from the old IH site, it used to be under the DRO notes section. I thought that I had the site copied two, but when I looked all I really had was a link to the site and not the actual HTML and supporting files.

-brian

ahidley
02-12-2008, 07:46 AM
I just made some standoffs and mounted it on that. I used a micrometer, it was pretty easy. I did mount the glass tube on the movable surface and the reader on the non-movable surface. The reason for this was that each time the carrriage moved the cable would bend. So if its mounted the other way it will never bend and thus not wear the cable out.

For the z axis I just mounted a HF 6" caliper on the spindle. Thats in the pic too.

It works fine and I'm not gonna change it because I cant see any way to make an improvement. But I'm always open to suggestions.

KiloBravo
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
looks like I have everything but the DRO section. I was probably trying to save space. At the time I did not have a 500 Gig. drive.