PDA

View Full Version : Thread Wires......

smiller6912
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
OK, I know what they are and how they work and I can read the chart and do the math, but, how do you hold the dang things in place while you measure. I know that I did this 40 years ago and I don't remember having to hire someone to hold the wires but, I just am not getting it.
Is there an easy way, what do you do?

sconisbee
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
a lil dab of grease to hold the top two wires, and hold the other underneath, or buy one of the wire holders from J&L and the like (way too expensive if you ask me, for repated measurments multiple parts ect i have held them and attached tape to one end so they are held one side loosley then just slide them on to each part that needs it....for the most part i use the grease trick tho

Oldbrock
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Get some kids plasticine and stick two one side and one the other. Try to set them as close to pd as possible, works for me. Peter

Oldguy
02-12-2008, 02:19 PM
"Get some kids plasticine"

I think that's modeling clay for those of use who only speak US English.

Glenn

Forrest Addy
02-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Good ol' duct tape. take a piece about 3/4" wide and 1/2 work cirumference long +1". Stick a half inck on one wire on one end and the same with the other two on the other about one thread pitch apart so it looks like this

---[-tape=]===.

Fold the tape over so there's no stickum showing and the wires stick out the end. The wires are now inescapably gripped. You only have to lay two wires on one side of the thread bend the tape in a half curcle and one on the other and measure. The connecting tape makes a handle. If you want to get real fancy stick another piece of tape on the other end to make a complete circle but only if the work is arranged so you can pass the tape/wire circle over the end and down its langth.

lazlo
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Forum search is your friend :)

We just had a looonnnnggg thread about how to hold thread wires last month.

AchieT
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
:confused: hmm i was taught to use those modeling clay or rubber bands to hold it in place while i do the measuring... but i think the clay works better

tattoomike68
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
rubber bands work fine.

Forum search is your friend

We just had a looonnnnggg thread about how to hold thread wires last month.

Thats a worthless answer, do people post that crap just to add to thier post counts? Where is the link mr.search friend?

That answer "USE the SEARCH" is rude, if you are not going to help just dont post. :D

BadDog
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I disagree.

It's all part of educating newcomers.

Many non-computer/net types never even realize there is a search till it's pointed out. Then they forget till it's pointed out some more. Eventually, as with most of us, it becomes a habit to search first. The OP wasn't blown out of the water or spoken to rudely at all. And I for one, if I posted without finding an answer, would very much appreciate a "heads up" that it's been covered "recently" so that I could just leaf back through the pages. I wouldn't presume to tell someone who was nice enough to point that out to me that they should expend MORE effort to actually give me the link! :eek: And yes, I have had cases where I couldn't form a productive search string, and got this very response, much to my delight...

lazlo
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Thats a worthless answer, do people post that crap just to add to thier post counts? Where is the link mr.search friend?

OK Mike, just for you, I'll do the leg-work for smiller :)

Holding thread wires w/only 2 hands (http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=26577)

In that thread we talked about grease, scotch tape, silly putty, sticky tack, and my favorite -- sticking the ends of the wires in the black electrostatic foam that chips are shipped in.

But Airhead's post #15 is a classic:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=319402&postcount=15

pcarpenter
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Hey-- that last posting from airhead in the link you sent makes a pretty good case for the value of a micrometer stand.

IOWOLF-- file that one away :D

Paul