PDA

View Full Version : Heading of ----'Wished I'd thought of that'

Guido
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Have a whole library under that heading.

Small, tubular device loaded with thermostatic valve, connecting the hot side to the cold side of faucets in the lavatory farthest from the hot water tank/heater. Adjustable timer turns on a small pump, located at the water heater, say 7 AM. Pump moves hot water through the hot water supply line, through the valve, displacing cold water back to the water supply. Thermostatic valve closes at preset temp, providing for nice hot water at the hot spigot and cold water ready at the cold spigot.

Timer turns pump off in hour or so, after shave and bathroom duties completed.

Saves on wasted water going down the drain while waiting on hot water for washing, shaving, shower, etc. Pay out at about 200 bux.

For recognizing this idea/application/market, I hope some guy is living the good life on a Hawaiian beach.

G

dewat
02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
On one of the DIY TV programs they installed one of those, you're right, good idea.

winchman
02-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I remember seeing one that worked by gravity without a pump. A timer opened a solenoid-operated gate valve on a separate line coming fron the hot water spigot back the the water heater tank inlet. The cooled hot water at the spigot started flowing back the tank as hot water filled the line to the spigot.

The return line was always lower than the supply line, and the hot water heater was in the basement. That's probably necessary for the system to work effectively.

Roger