PDA

View Full Version : OT: Satellite Dish

motorcyclemac
02-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Sorry for the detour. I have a few questions about sat TV. I have Directv now and Hughes for the computer. Hughes I am generally happy with. Directv doesn't make me quite so happy. I started out with Directv newly installed with a Tivo. The Tivo went teets up and I ended up with them sending me a DVR. Come to find out the Tivo didn't die...Directv software doesn't support it anymore. The Tivo was wonderful. The DVR isn't nearly as good a unit as the Tivo...inspite of the bullcrappola they promised. Now I have had to swap out the DVR 3 times in as many years. They start by killing off the cooling fan in the back....and then they overheat and DIE. I don't get it. The location where I have my TV is really a very clean environment and I have a Honeywell electro static air filter in the house...so the air is clean. I have checked this last DVR often to see when the fan was to crap out....and it did....last week.. So here I go again. They keep sending me DVRs that say 'refurbished' on the back. I am laying down $60 and change a month for sat TV and it is starting to be a PITA. Do any of you use Dish Network? Are they any better or ....same crappola with a different name?

Thanks
Mac.

tattoomike68
02-13-2008, 03:05 AM
I have cable DVR and pay over $110 a month for the works and they darn well make it right. I do own a few web sites so I download some big time data everyday. (no phone)

Now we started with the MOXI and it was so nice, the programers were the best, later when the Moxi's died from overheating and the fact they are a computer they went to this cheesy Motorola thats lame and wont even let me use an external hard drive.

Im going to buy a new computer.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4212865&JRSource=become.datafeed.HP+M9180F#productTabDetai ls

Then make a wireless media server out of this box im using now and hook it to this..http://www.nextag.com/SONY-GXDL52H1-52-LCD-585552168/prices-html

that my plans..

So I get more with cable but pay way more..

pcarpenter
02-13-2008, 12:16 PM
I have Dish Network and had one of their standard definition PVR's from the beginning (7 years). It still works and is now in my shop as we signed up for HD service and have a DVR (new name, same technology) that is an HD receiver for HD service. It too works great. I am largely a happy customer.

Do be aware that your electrostatic air cleaner is a static generator. I would keep it far away from any electronics. They also produce ozone which in the end can make you feel tired. Its O3 and your body takes it in as though it were O2, but cannot use it. Its one of the components of photo-sensitive smog like they have in the big cities. It also can deteriorate rubber products.

I went to an allergist a couple of years ago for the first time. They gave me a brochure on avoiding dust and it involved mostly reducing the number of "soft" surfaces where dust mites can grow. The brochure was put out by some organization of allergists and interestingly enough, they specifically stated that they didn't particularly recommend these air cleaners. My guess is that the ozone produced defeats the value of the dust removed.

Paul

rws
02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry for the detour. I have a few questions about sat TV. I have Directv now and Hughes for the computer. Hughes I am generally happy with. Directv doesn't make me quite so happy. I started out with Directv newly installed with a Tivo. The Tivo went teets up and I ended up with them sending me a DVR. Come to find out the Tivo didn't die...Directv software doesn't support it anymore. The Tivo was wonderful. The DVR isn't nearly as good a unit as the Tivo...inspite of the bullcrappola they promised. Now I have had to swap out the DVR 3 times in as many years. They start by killing off the cooling fan in the back....and then they overheat and DIE. I don't get it. The location where I have my TV is really a very clean environment and I have a Honeywell electro static air filter in the house...so the air is clean. I have checked this last DVR often to see when the fan was to crap out....and it did....last week.. So here I go again. They keep sending me DVRs that say 'refurbished' on the back. I am laying down $60 and change a month for sat TV and it is starting to be a PITA. Do any of you use Dish Network? Are they any better or ....same crappola with a different name?

Thanks
Mac.

I started with Directv, it did OK for about a year, then the trouble started. Whenever so much as a cloud came over, I would loose one channel. Always the same channel. Made a call, bitched about it being new (they wanted to charge for a visit). Tech guy came out and said something up at the dish went bad (he said "these things go bad all the time"), replaced it and all was fine, for maybe a month. Same thing keeps happening. Any cloudy weather, rain or snow would drown it out. I had Tivo then, and it worked OK. Once my contract was up, I switched to Dish Network. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I have only lost a signal maybe once in over a year, and I mean it was raining BIG time. This came with a dvr, and it works just great. I do pay about $64 for the service, but it is reliable.

I'm seriously thinking on going with Wildblue for satellite internet. I had Hughes once upon a time, and it sucked as bad as Directv (Hughes used to be Direcway). Plus, Hughes is very pricey on the hardware, Wildblue isn't.

steverice
02-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I have had the Dish network for 8 years or so. No problems, heavy rains have snuffed the signal maybe 4 times (only for a second or two).

Same DVR for at least 5 years, it works overtime all day everyday.

Easy to use guides, great customer service.

jacampb2
02-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I had directTV for a few years, signal quality sucked, I lost signal every time there was a storm. I switched to dish network with a DVR, loved it, but the DVR (510) failed 3 times, every time was a hard drive failure. The third time we wanted to go to a 2 tuner DVR they had, I think the 522, They would not allow me to upgrade and I have to say that their customer service is abysmal. I finally went as far as to order cable TV and called to cancel the dish. Their cancellation department is much more helpful and offered to give me the new DVR, and 3 months free service to stay. I canceled the cable install and kept my dish.

I am now looking at HD options, and I have to say it looks like direct TV has better programming and prices. If the direct TV transmission technology has not improved though, I will never go back to them. I do, however, intend to threaten dish network with cancellation again to get their HD stuff. The only complaint I have about the dish network DVR's are although they have the capability to do USB and Ethernet transfer, the software is crippled and cannot use the interface. Evidently the new HD DVRs from dish can have the USB enabled for external drive support, but it cost's an additional $40 to turn it on. The ethernet is still listed as "for future use" where the direct tv DVR can act as a media relay for your computer multimedia.

Anyhow, after having DVR, there is no way I would go back to ordinary TV. I do not watch a lot of TV, but it is very nice to be able to record the programs I like and play them back, sans commercials, any time I have free time.

Later,
Jason

retusaf99
02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I've had DirecTV for the past 5 years or so, DishNetwork prior to that for maybe 3 or 4 years.

I switched to get new receivers, and the programming looked better at DTV.

Seems the best deals are always for new customers. Any experiences with going back to a provider? Are you always an old customer, or do they really care?

Doug

mochinist
02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
I've had DirecTV for the past 5 years or so, DishNetwork prior to that for maybe 3 or 4 years.

I switched to get new receivers, and the programming looked better at DTV.

Seems the best deals are always for new customers. Any experiences with going back to a provider? Are you always an old customer, or do they really care?

DougI had dish with a dvr for about four or five years, got an HD tv and wanted to upgrade to an hd receiver with a dvr, they wanted me to sign a contract which I didn't have before and pay something like 2 or 3 hundred bucks, which I thought was insane since I had never had a long term contract with them before and had paid every bill ontime. I tried every trick I could talking to managers and all that and couldnt get them to budge so I told them to stick it and I went with the local cable service for a year. After the year was up I waited till I saw one of those specials they offer and I signed back up with out a long term contract and they waived the fee for the receiver. Pretty dumb on their part if you ask me :)

motorcyclemac
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I am running out of patience with Directv and the dying DVR. The signal isn't that good...for 64 bucks a mo..... thanks for the input guys. I will let ya know just for the heck of it...how it all goes.

Thanks
Mac.