PDA

View Full Version : dro for my bridgeport

davidh
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
is this a satisfactory unit for my hobby 9 x 42 bridgeport mill ? anyone have experience with these ? im a basic rank amature machinist that would really like to have a dro. i called accurrite (sp) and they gave me part numbers that would cost nearly $1000 for xyz readout. too much for my limited use.

thanks in advance for the info. . .
davidh

smiller6912
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I saw this one on eBay yesterday, I Don't know what you are looking for but this looks interesting......
http://cgi.ebay.com/SimpleDro-3-Axis-DRO-for-large-vertical-mill_W0QQitemZ320216451294QQihZ011QQcategoryZ92150 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

davidh
02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
too big, i have a 9 x 36 table. . . anyone else? ? ?

pcarpenter
02-13-2008, 06:12 PM
David-- you will probably get more replies if you actually tell us what you were referring to by "this" in your original post. I am guessing you just forgot to include a link or something??

Edit-- you also indicate its a 9x42 in the first post and then indicate its a 9x36?? You are not making it easy on people trying to help out :-)
Paul

lane
02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Accurrite is one of the best unites made . Along with Anilam as far as i am concerned.

mochinist
02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Newalls are accurate and tough as hell, pricy though

davidh
02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
dumb are i. here is the web site.

http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

i thought my milll had a 42 in table but i re-checked it and its only 36. maybe i just don;t deserve one of these dro;s.

i know acrurite is one of the best but the $$$$ are pretty much beyond me.

so here i am, asking again, does anyone have any experience with these ?

and again, thanks much.

davidh

davidh
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
oh crap, the site went to the home page. . .
the item in question is the 30001 altho its for a 42 in table i think i can make it work. . . if they are decent and do what i expect .

IOWOLF
02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I do , I do, It is a good setup if you like 0.00000 resolution.:eek:

Though A.K. would disagree,:rolleyes:

pcarpenter
02-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah...you may want to search on sino and dro here as this has been a topic a couple of times very recently.

I have one on my lathe. I have a Newall that came with my used Bridgeport. They are top notch in my opinion, but I just couldn't afford one for the lathe. I am pleased with the Sino (from CDCO) DRO.

If you want a brand name, one of the Anilam models is in the Enco sale flyer and I think they started out at around $8xx if I recall. Likely yours will be one of the lesser expensive due to the short scales.

Paul

KiloBravo
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Yes, I shopped around and finally bought one from CDCO. I have bought plenty of his stuff and it seems of decent quality. I am a home shop guy and saving a few hundred on a DRO was worth it for me. Jenix is probably the next step up but about $200 more. I have not installed my DRO yet bought the quality looks good.

My $0.02, for what it's worth :)

Regards,
Kevin

Wirecutter
02-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, well I'm a little out of line here - I sprang for a Newall and installed it myself. It's probably worth more than the old Bridgeport it's on, but I love love love it. I can't speak for the other brands, but most have the same or similar features, so you definitely want to get a DRO of some sort. At that price, it's a lot less risk than I took.

-Mark

SGW
02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
It looks as though you can buy the scales and the display individually, so if there isn't a "package" that's just right you ought to be able to make one up.

Measure your table travel, X and Y, and be sure the scales have sufficient travel to correspond. Scales don't like being run off the end. Also, be sure the overall scale length will fit on the table.

KiloBravo
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I have sq column mill and ended up getting the 12" scale for my y and the 24" for my x axis. I just emailed Frank at CDCO and he was happy to give me whatever scales I wanted. Just make sure you specify the overall length of the scales. So for 12" reading the scale length is 17" OAL, for a 24" reading the OAL of the scale is 29". This was fine for me because my table is a 9 1/2" x 21".

Regards,
Kevin

davidh
02-18-2008, 02:31 PM
yesterday i had a long talk with myself and decided i needed to get power feed for the bridgeport first. so i ordered it from cdco alongwith a couple other things.
the dro will come next month if $$$$ is still available.

good info from you folks,. thanks for the input.

davidh