PDA

View Full Version : Intro an a few questions....

TheAndroid
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Hello everyone! I am relatively new to machining but read everything I can get my hands on and am excited to try new things. I'm in the Dallas area but my shop is in Keller. I have a Lathemaster 9x30 lathe and a Zay square column mill.
I caught the bug after inheiriting my Dad's tools. He was a general machinist for several years. I never was really interested in the trade until I started holding those tools. The ability to measure 1/1000th of an inch is probably where it all started for me.
I have been looking for plans for a machinist level. It seems to me that if the base is flat and square, it should be a simple thing to construct. With a good base, the level portion on an adjustable stage is all that is left. Any ideas?
Also, where do you guys in Dallas get your material? I have been getting A36 from Liberty Metals, but that machines like oatmeal. I have recently discovered Metal Mart and Metals 4U, but I'd like to know if their prices can be beat in the area. They are awfully proud of their inventory!

Thanks.

Joel
02-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the site Android!

I just get most of my steel from the local steelyard. For aluminum I go to Trident, but it can be had for much better prices from the recyclers. There is one local to me, but Garland Recyclers has yielded me much good stock in the past. I get drill rod and such from Enco, and anything unusual I normally order out from one of the online companies