PDA

View Full Version : morse taper repair

kjbllc
02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
A couple of the morse tapers have scoring on them, what is the best way to fix that, (the little nibs that are raised up)?

SGW
02-14-2008, 11:18 AM
If external (a center, or whatever), a fine file, judiciously applied, ought to do it.

If internal (a socket), get yourself a Morse taper finishing reamer and lightly ream the socket until it's clean. Places like Travers www.travers.com and MSC www.mscdirect.com sell "quality import" Morse finishing reamers for pretty reasonable money.

JCHannum
02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
What Steve said, but apply the reamer very judiciously. If the female taper of a tailstock or spindle has lumps or bumps, first try a light touch with a file or stone. A reamer will quickly deepen a taper, and especially on a tailstock, can lead to other problems.

Oldbrock
02-14-2008, 12:09 PM
You know in your first post you showed a drawer with a bunch of tools. could you lay them out and let us see exactly what you have. I see two drill chucks, some hss toolholders and at least one parting off holder plus some items of which I'm not sure. I presume the tapers are on the drill chucks-maybe not. Peter

kjbllc
02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
here is a more detailed pic of what I have.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/kjbllc/mytools.jpg

I also found a live center with my stuff, and some large drill bits with an adapter for the morse taper. The larger of the two chucks I am not going to use.

I see the chucks are not in this pic, I will have to get that later.

I think there are boring bars in there, what do you put them in to bore?
thanks.

matador
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE= what do you put them in to bore? [/QUOTE]
They look like the type used in a boring head:http://littlemachineshop.com/Products/Images/480/480.1266.jpg
In the lathe,it would be fitted on a morse taper arbor in the tailstock.

SGW
02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Re: the Morse taper adapter.
I assume it's a Morse #3 to #2 adapter, for the headstock.

pcarpenter
02-14-2008, 03:41 PM
The boring bars I am familiar with do not go in the tailstock. The tailstock would not allow for a means of adjusting cut.

A boring bar holder is in order. You can make one that replaces the whole toolpost. However, in your picture is at least one Armstrong boring tool holder....with a boring bar in it.

Paul

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
Re: the Morse taper adapter.
I assume it's a Morse #3 to #2 adapter, for the headstock.

yes, that is what it is, it fits the tailstock and I have not tried the headstock yet, as the chuck is on there.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 07:51 AM
The boring bars I am familiar with do not go in the tailstock. The tailstock would not allow for a means of adjusting cut.

A boring bar holder is in order. You can make one that replaces the whole toolpost. However, in your picture is at least one Armstrong boring tool holder....with a boring bar in it.

Paul

Ok I see it now, good thing it wasn't a snake.