PDA

View Full Version : newby seeking advice

genejohnson
02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I have the oportunity to purchase for $350 a Craftsman model 109-212176 metal lathe. 6" swing, 12" centers, all change gears,drill chuck, live center, 3 jaw chuck, key and backplate. It is missing the tool post rocker, motor mount and correct motor pulley. I have asked the seller for some photos. If everything is as he says, is it worth the $350. Gene

JCHannum
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
The 109 Craftsman lathes were made by AA, not Atlas, and are lighter duty lathes than the Atlas 6" machines.

They have an epicyclic backgear built into the drive pulley that can be problematical. They are capable of metal turning, and have a following. I see them in this price range, but I would not recommend one, as much better machines are available for a few dollars more.

Tin Falcon
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
gene: IMHO that is a bit high for a 109 I have two of them in the basement and have yet to realy use either one to make anything . The two I have both came with four jaw chuck . I do hope at some point to get them working . the tooling for them IIRC is 0 mt the same as sherline and the sherline chucks will fit as well . the problem is the tooling is expensive and hard to find on the used or import market.
I have a 7 x 10 Grizzly and a 9" SB that get the use.
Tin

mwechtal
02-14-2008, 09:12 PM
gene: IMHO that is a bit high for a 109 I have two of them in the basement and have yet to realy use either one to make anything . The two I have both came with four jaw chuck . I do hope at some point to get them working . the tooling for them IIRC is 0 mt the same as sherline and the sherline chucks will fit as well . the problem is the tooling is expensive and hard to find on the used or import market.
I have a 7 x 10 Grizzly and a 9" SB that get the use.
Tin
Sherlines are 1MT in the headstock with a 3/4" - 16 thread and 0MT in the tailstock.

Mike