PDA

View Full Version : atlas horizontal mill advice

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I just came across an atlas horizontal mill. I didn't take all that good a look at it, maybe 30" tall, 120v, is about all I know, I was bought used about 30 years ago. there is tooling with it, but I have not seen it. Neither of us know what would be a fair price for it. I don't want to cheat him or myself. thanks for any help on this.

Alistair Hosie
02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
We would be better able to help with the aid of a few pics or more information.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok, I will try to get some pics this weekend and more info on it, what comes with it. I have tried some searches on this. The gears are white metal? In a machine that old are they liable to break and not be able to replace them. I see I can get a new one mini for $5oo or so in grizzly's. Would this atlas be of better quality parts? thanks.

wierdscience
02-15-2008, 12:42 PM
They fetch in good shape between $450-550 with a good arbor.Tooling will increase the value of course.

JCHannum
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Wierd is correct, $500+- is pretty much reasonable for both parties. They might run higher at times on eBay, which is typical for many Atlas machines.

The gears are Zamac, which is a zinc alloy. They hold up reasonably well in that application, but may become flaky in high moisture situations. The gears are common the the 6" Atlas lathe and are relatively available. They are a standard gear, and commercial gears can also be modified to work.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 04:58 PM
thanks, I will get over there and see what all comes with it, and what kind of shape it is in and how it all works.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
how does that one compare with the grizzly mini milling machine for $500?

RobbieKnobbie
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM
That atlas Horizontal mill and the Grizzly mini mill are two ENTIRELY different beasts.

no comparison what so ever.

kc5ezc
02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
If the Atlas Horizontal mill has an original vise, rotary table, or set of centers the price will be worth a lot more.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

IOWOLF
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Again, CCWKen will know, :)

Your Old Dog
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Just for the record. I just bought an unused rotary indexing table for that particular shaper for $10.00. In other words, while extra tooling might make it worth more, it's still a 30-50 year old tool. If you gave $700 for a shaper in nice shape with much tooling you wouldn't be screwing the guy in my opinion. While they are still selling, it's to a very restricted audieance.

JCHannum
02-15-2008, 07:26 PM
The Atlas milling machine has been around for 60-70 years. It is cast iton construction. It is a very capable, small horizontal milling machine.

Much information is available here;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

The Grizzly mini mill is an Asian import that has been around for a few years. It is a vertical milling machine.
In 60 - 70 years there may still be some functional ones around.

Specs are here;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

Vertical and horizontal milling machines have some different features that make direct comparisons difficult. Either machine will perform well in a home shop within it's size envelope.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
The Atlas milling machine has been around for 60-70 years. It is cast iton construction. It is a very capable, small horizontal milling machine.

Much information is available here;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasmiller/index.html

The Grizzly mini mill is an Asian import that has been around for a few years. It is a vertical milling machine.
In 60 - 70 years there may still be some functional ones around.

Specs are here;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini-Milling-Machine/G8689

Vertical and horizontal milling machines have some different features that make direct comparisons difficult. Either machine will perform well in a home shop within it's size envelope.

yes I see what you mean there, I will take a good look at it this weekend and find out more and get some pics. He also has a large hedey (sp?) lathe but the head doesn't turn for some reason. thanks.

wierdscience
02-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Would that be a Hendy lathe? If so look at it carefully,those are really stout well built machines.

kjbllc
02-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Would that be a Hendy lathe? If so look at it carefully,those are really stout well built machines.

Yes I think that might be it, he said he was going to start it up and tried the headstock and it was jammed. He ended up heating it up and using a 2x4 to move it some and eventually he could move it by hand, but when it cooled off it jammed again. They are babbet bearings, he can't figure out why it is doing that with the heat and all. I guess my next post will be how much is it worth! I will try to get pictures on it also when I am there. thanks.