PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport (Induma)

El Cazador
02-16-2008, 12:41 PM
As this question demonstrates, I'm very new to machining. I was cruising through the want ads and saw a Bridgeport with "Induma" attached to the name. What does it mean??
Vic
Redlands, CA

IOWOLF
02-16-2008, 12:52 PM
It is a Clone, Made by Rice eaters.
But some of the quality may be still there.

El Cazador
02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
That may explain the asking price. Interesting thing is that it has "Bridgeport" on the head. At least the seller identified it. Thanks.

crrmeyer
02-16-2008, 03:59 PM
As this question demonstrates, I'm very new to machining. I was cruising through the want ads and saw a Bridgeport with "Induma" attached to the name. What does it mean??
Vic
Redlands, CA

Made in Italy, not the far east. I have heard goo things about them and they seem to sell for cheap since they do not have the BP name. From what I have heard, parts are still available.

http://www.induma.net/home.htm

Charles

IOWOLF
02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
What, they don't eat rice in Italy?

jkilroy
02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
They eat pasta in Italy, not rice! :D

interiorpainter
02-17-2008, 05:52 AM
How about risotto!
They are one of the biggest rice producer in Europe and eat it as a side dish just like Americans eat chips.
Over here the do not go that cheap. Induma and chips as well.

Forrest Addy
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
"Bridgeport" is to turret mills what "Kleenex" is to facial tissue and "Levis" to jeans. It's a brand name become generic.

Geeky guy in a flannel shirt with burned out chip holes down the front, a row of implements including a caliper and a 6" scale in his shirt pocket, and shoes that sound like studded tires on pavement when he walks: "Hey, I hexed a batch of bolts on my Grizzly Bridgeport last night."

"Turret mill" is the correct generic name for the ever popular "Bridgport style" mill but common use overwhelms lexicographical orthodoxy. (Say that three times quickly)

Rookie machinist
02-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I like using my bridgeport to machine some billets:)

JCHannum
02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
It is not entirely out of the question that someone has installed a Bridgeport head on an Induma base. This is not a totally rare occurence, and would explain Bridgeport on the head.

If the price is right, it would be worth a look.

Bill Pace
02-17-2008, 11:26 AM
------ use overwhelms lexicographical orthodoxy. (Say that three times quickly)

Did you hurt your tongue gettin that out, Forrest??

So, anyway, back to the OP's question --- wasnt/isnt Induma an independant name totally aside from Bridgeport, and as mentioned made in ....Italy?? --And, Im thinking it generally gets pretty high marks?

Kinda sounds as if its like Forrest says, the "Bridgeport" part is just thrown in to remind everybody its a "milling machine"

torker
02-17-2008, 11:54 AM
I like using my bridgeport to machine some billets:)
Geez! Did you have to say that? Now I'm all agog(and jealous) and have to go out to the shop and make me up some billets too. I WAS going to watch the Daytona 500 :D

lane
02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Induma is a Itilian mill Very much like a Bridgeport Not made any more. But very nice Have one at work. Probley a BP head own Induma body.

IOWOLF
02-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Geez! Did you have to say that? Now I'm all agog(and jealous) and have to go out to the shop and make me up some billets too. I WAS going to watch the Daytona 500 :D

I'm gonna make some Bullets for the both of ya.:eek:

torker
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Jay... just make damm sure they're billet bullets ;)