PDA

View Full Version : Question for Evan re: engraving tool

snowman
02-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Evan,

On your engraving tool, did you actually spin the tool while using it? If you spin, how fast for RPM?

I see nothing to keep the engraving "bit" from stopping when pressed on, while the barrel would continue rotating.

If you are spinning it, do you rely on the pressure from the spring to keep the bit from spinning in the barrel?

Here is evan's picture so that other's know what I am talking about.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics3/springtoold.jpg

Your Old Dog
02-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Evan's usually up on the West coast before I get up on the East coast at 5AM. He's likely in the sack now. If you're in a hurry, I think his original efforts did not use a spinning but. He was going to try it later at ultra high speed if I remember correctly. If you caught his first post the bit was not moving.

Evan
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
I've tried it both ways. I thoughi it might help to burnish the scratch by spinning it. I didn't see a difference. There isn't anything to prevent the tool turning but there is enough friction that it spins with the body. The point of the tool is carbide and is highly polished using diamond dust mixed to a paste with oil. I drilled a dimple in a brass block and then used the drill press to turn the point in the diamond paste. To finish polish I used some paste on a stick of wood and "drilled" it with the point.

The amount of diamond dust used is tiny, about the amount that can be lifted with the end of a toothpic. You can probably find some at a lapidary supplier. I haven't found anything else that works to polish carbide to a mirror finish.

BTW, I don't sleep. Well, never more than a couple of hours and on no particular schedule. Many 24 hr periods I only sleep 2-3 hours.

aostling
02-16-2008, 11:28 PM
BTW, I don't sleep. Well, never more than a couple of hours and on no particular schedule. Many 24 hr periods I only sleep 2-3 hours.

I'm guessing you have been awake for about 400,000 hours. That's about what a "normal" man of age 70 can claim. So you are older (and wiser?) than you think.

darryl
02-17-2008, 01:58 AM
And in those 400,000 hours, you have eaten 25 tons of sugar, drank 200,000 gallons of water, passed 60,000 cubic feet of methane, bla bla bla- :)

Evan
02-17-2008, 02:47 AM
So you are older than you think.
No, I think I am older than you think. I feel like I am 70 most days instead of 58.

I finished my engraving table with the exception of drilling a hole pattern for clamps. I'm leaving that until I see what would be the best pattern to use. The table is sturdy enough to serve as a general use table and is marked out in 1 cm squares. I have always liked the decimal systems of measurement and learned it young as my father was a science teacher and researcher.

The table is sized to the same size as the X/Y envelope of the machine.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics3/engtable2.jpg

Note that it had a lot of pre-existing holes as the center 7075 portion was previously used as a milling table on my lathe.

Here is a piece I did recently for the company that has been giving me big chunks of Lexan to play with. I shall have to redo it as the machine crapped out with perhaps 5% left to do. The company logo is engraved in Lexan using the tool shown in the original post (actually one like it). The logo image is converted to a raster scan image and then the tool scans across the work and varies the pressure on the tool in accordance with the black to white gray scale values of each pixel. The run time for that particular piece was about 7 hours using Turbo CNC. It looks as though Mach III may cut that time in half because of the look ahead.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics3/engtable3.jpg

I forgot to mention that the reason it quit near the end is because I left a clamp handle sticking out in the back and it blocked the Y travel.

John Stevenson
02-17-2008, 04:12 AM
I forgot to mention that the reason it quit near the end is because I left a clamp handle sticking out in the back and it blocked the Y travel.

:D :D Also quits if you let spanners fall over the edge of the table and lie on the ways, or so someone tells me, I wouldn't know :rolleyes:

Your Old Dog
02-17-2008, 07:18 AM
:D :D Also quits if you let spanners fall over the edge of the table and lie on the ways, or so someone tells me, I wouldn't know :rolleyes:

Clumsy Bast................... ah the hell with it !

Well that might have something to do with why you're more productive then any 5 men I know!

Weston Bye
02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Evan,
Be careful; the candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long. Studies seem to associate lack of sleep with shorter life. (of course, studies have been conducted that indicate hazards in all manner of normal, natural, wholesome activities also) May your life prove the studies wrong, but be careful.

Evan
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
It's not optional. I have fibromyalgia. The primary symptom (or possibly the cause) is the near total inability to go into stage 4 deep sleep. For me sleep past about 2 to 3 hours at one time is impossible and lying in bed is a waste of time.

Weston Bye
02-17-2008, 11:18 AM
It's not optional. I have fibromyalgia. The primary symptom (or possibly the cause) is the near total inability to go into stage 4 deep sleep. For me sleep past about 2 to 3 hours at one time is impossible and lying in bed is a waste of time.

Understood. Adjust the rest of your life to compensate. Your retirement was probably a good step. Just don't overstress and burn yourself out in overachievement. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself, though.