PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm knackered.

John Stevenson
02-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Last week I posted about getting the DRO as I was down that way.
I was out collecting books and magazines. In fact I did two trips last week to collect some mags to save them being dumped.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/mags1.jpg

So today set too to sort and pack in volumes these Model Engineers. These are the volumes from the 1950's

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/mags2.jpg

Bit blured as the lighting isn't great but these are the 1960's with a few 1970's sprinkled in, sat in the conservatory ready to be sorted.

The 70's, 80's and 90's are still in the Donald until I can some room to sort them.

Brain has gone into shutdown after sorting these first in decade, then volume, then issue order then duplicate copies, then catalogue them.

It's far more fun reading them but I'm banned.

rockrat
02-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow. I couldnt get all of those sorted WITHOUT reading them as I went. But that would make it 2010 before they were all sorted out.

Good luck~

rock-

JRouche
02-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh!! Magazines.. I thought those were bricks of confiscated cocaine!!! JRouche

IOWOLF
02-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Well I'm knackered.

I hope it didn't hurt.

KiloBravo
02-16-2008, 10:56 PM

Now I know how you are retiring at 42 :D

andy_b
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM

i'm not as upscale, i thought it was marijuana. :)

andy b.

Dawai
02-18-2008, 12:47 AM
John S: <Well I'm knackered.>

Sprecken die Americano Englis?

oldtiffie
02-18-2008, 01:11 AM
John S: <Well I'm knackered.>

Sprecken die Americano Englis?

Nope.

He is "Sprecken die Anglo Englis".

A lot of words in common use (by "common" people?) in OZ are derived from or directly from "English as she is spoke" in the UK.

Just as well John didn't say he had been "de-knackered" or "back from the knackery"!!!

These links might help.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knackered
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knacker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_words_not_widely_used_in_the_Unite d_States

from which are derived:
knackered: (slang) exhausted, originally 'sexually exhausted', perhaps derived from knacker's yard

knackers:
(colloquial) testicles ("Ouch, she kicked me right in the knackers")

knacker's yard
premises where superannuated livestock are sent for rendering, etc. (glue factory). Sometimes refers to the same for vehicles, a scrapyard (US: junkyard)

A.K. Boomer
02-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Wow, its almost like your preparing for something? Hope you didnt get any bad news from the Doc, whats Up with all the cleanliness SJ:p :)

Dawai
02-18-2008, 07:54 AM
<def:After shagging that bird, I was extremely knackerd>

I jus don kno what up wich that kinda talkin, spit.. ya kno when I wes pokin fun at my cousin she tooken it all serious like and puffed up real pregnant., Spit.. She wes cumplainin about me crushin her cigerattes and all the time she was breedin all the kinfolk here in tobacoo road. Hackk- Pooie, spit some more tuberlocis up or a chunk of my lung.

(amended) I sold a HUGE Impala convertible to some "brothers" recently with no necks. BIG ole black boys. I had to talk to perhaps 200 young black boys here in the south on the phone.. sentences like , "any ho's in the truck?" (white translation is "any holes in the trunk?) Sheet-man I'be comin afta the ride..

I have enough trouble understanding normal speech, My poor finn wife, I could talk real hillbilly and she'd start breaking coffee cups.. she learned proper kings english and it ain't nothing like HILLBILLY speak.

Dawai
02-18-2008, 08:06 AM
AK, we each born into this miserable world are bound to die.

Some sooner than others, some happier than others. Some content with the manner in which they lived, others to go on and burn everlasting.

I hope all you outlive me, I hope I enjoy life a long time more.

Norman Atkinson
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
David,
Divvent drop yor dottle on the proggy mat!

And dear chap, if you want to go Second Person Singular-
Divvent thee thou me.

Aah naa!

Keep tite ahad, bonnie laad

Wor Norm

John Stevenson
02-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Well at least Airsmith was understandable.......................

Dawai
02-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Lay tight and level the stones in the tower of Babel..

Say What???

Norman Atkinson
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Of course, I was far from OT! In fact, I was recalling the language of one of the greatest engineers- the other Stephenson, George. He and his son built the first decent steam locomotive and a succession of bridges. I am never too sure about the 'Geordie' which was the miner's safety lamp ascribed to Davy.

Oddly, I was recalling the language spoken a mere mile from his cottage- and where I was born.

Kna's nowt like, daft bugga!

Norm

dvideo
02-19-2008, 03:01 AM
the funny names assoicated with steam engine parts.... could be they said what the part name was... and it just sort of took a left hand verbal turn....

My dad used to listen to all the technical names.. boiled it down to variants of "thing-a-ma-jigs....".... Some the thing-a-ma-jigs he worked on were nuclear... so it's a healthy, cautious thing to do - to respect those old Scottish names... things that might pop and hose out a lot of steam....

--jr

Norman Atkinson
02-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Dvideo,

The origins are not Scottish. I was writing of Tyne and Wear and especially Tyneside. Many of the local words are 'pitmatic' rather than industrial as mining came first and the means of hauling coal was a second thing.
Here we have a mixture from peoples who came from worked out mines ie lead mining in Cumberland and the Pennines and from farming and when you say Scottish, you really mean French and Norse.
Heaping wrath on myself, the Scots haven't much of a language but Gaelic is only spoken in the Highlands and Islands. What is spoken is Early French from the Alliance Francais and words like Kirk or Church are Norman( no). Haggis is simply the French for minced. I digress but there are corruptions because people couldn't read or write- and remain so!

Unquestionably, it is a huge subject.

Just to add a bit of spice, this Scottish thing of tartans and fancy kilts and all that sort of thing is modern- and invented by the English, many of whom were German monarchy.

Retreats - a French word- retrait to a safe haven

GKman
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
David,
Divvent drop yor dottle on the proggy mat!

And dear chap, if you want to go Second Person Singular-
Divvent thee thou me.

Aah naa!

Keep tite ahad, bonnie laad

Wor Norm

Kinda' what I was thinkin'.:rolleyes: