PDA

View Full Version : New Guy in Sacramento Area.

gnm109
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Hello to all,

I spotted this site a week or so ago and thought it might be something I would enjoy.

I've been a motorcyclist for many years and most of my tools have been acquired as the result of maintenance and modification of bikes, usually Harleys. I'm a Home Shop person for sure as I seldom take anything anywhere to have it fixed or machined but rather do it myself.

Some of the tools that I've accumulated over many years are:

1. 1994 13X40 Enco Gapped Bed/Geared Head lathe, (Can we say Enco here? :) )
2. Harbor Freight Mill Drill with lots of cutters, end mills, R-8 collets and end mill adapters and a nice big vise.
3. Lincoln SP175 plus 220 MIG on C02.
4. Miller Syncrowave 200 TIG/Stick machine, liquid cooled with Bernard 3500SS.

I'll be lurking mostly so as to sort of find out what's going on. I love to weld also so I'll be watching for things to which I may contribute.

Thanks for listening.

gnm109
Sacramento County,California

Your Old Dog
02-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. Your shop sounds a lot like many on the forum. We do have a few professionals on the board but they supply us with good answers and we supply them with amusement! Chime in anytime you think you can help someone with a problem or having one of your own.

gnm109
02-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Welcome to the forum. Your shop sounds a lot like many on the forum. We do have a few professionals on the board but they supply us with good answers and we supply them with amusement! Chime in anytime you think you can help someone with a problem or having one of your own.

Thanks. I will do that,

Regards,

gnm

JoeFin
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Glad to see you here

I'm in the Sacramento Area too.

There is another guy I met on the PM forum who is cramming GSXR engines in Quad frames - must be interesting

Sounds like your shop is getting pretty well rounded in capabilities. I do a little performance work for the Drift crowd which my son enjoys. Be sure to give me a holler if your short on some thing.

BTW: How do you like the sinc wave? I use an older Sine Wave machine made by Miller sold under the name of Airco.

gnm109
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Glad to see you here

I'm in the Sacramento Area too.

There is another guy I met on the PM forum who is cramming GSXR engines in Quad frames - must be interesting

Sounds like your shop is getting pretty well rounded in capabilities. I do a little performance work for the Drift crowd which my son enjoys. Be sure to give me a holler if your short on some thing.

BTW: How do you like the sinc wave? I use an older Sine Wave machine made by Miller sold under the name of Airco.

Hello,

The Syncrowave is probably more than I need for the limited amount of welding that I do but I decided to make a change last summer. For close to 15 years, I had a Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 TIG/Stick which was fine on stainless and mild steel, great on any type of stick but rather tough to use on aluminum.

So I traded it in at a local dealer mainly to get somethng that had a touch of square wave capability on AC for aluminum. I've been quite pleased so far as the arc is noticeably tighter and smoother than the former sine-wave machine. I would say that, in general, I'm able to do smaller weld patterns with the Miller. The SW 200 also has a nice feature on stick called DIG. It provides a background voltage so that when you finish an arc, you can start again without sticking. This effect is most noticeable on 7018 rod. It makes starts and stops far easier.

While the SW 200 is less flexible than the equivalent inverter machine it's only about half the cost and I can't justify spending any more.

On balance (pun intended) I recommend the SW 200 since I can now do a decent aluminum weld whereas before it was hit or miss. This is not to demean the sine wave machines as I've seen wonderful work done on those but I suspect that technique might have something to do with it. LOL.

Thanks for the response,

Regards. gnm :)

lane
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
WELCOME Dont Lurk Jump right on in the water is fine.