PDA

View Full Version : Using KoolMist 77 on aluminum

wshelley
02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi guys. I bought a KoolMist system with the 77 concentrate. Mixed at the recommended ratio and set up to cut lots of 16 gauge aluminum rings (for chainmaille) with a 0.008" slitting saw. I've been using WD-40 in a gravity feed system but wanted to try KoolMist. I'm pretty sure it was adjusted correctly, barely visible mist, felt cold on a finger tip, and just a hint of condensation. So far so good.

Run the coil into the saw, pressure required was a lot higher than normal, with almost a sticky feeling. Looked at the first dozen rings and the cut quality was horrible with aluminum smeared though out the cut and huge burrs on the out feed side of the cut. The blade was completely covered in aluminum. Obviously something isn't working well.

Switched back to WD-40, the blade cleared instantly and feed pressure dropped to normal, and cut quality went back to near perfect.

So, is the 77 the wrong coolant/lubricant? Can I use WD-40 in a KoolMist? Seems a little heavy bodied for it? Any other suggestions? How about ethyl alcohol in a KoolMist (no smoking allowed ;-)

Thanks,

Ward

Evan
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
For a cheaper mix than WD40 use stoddard solvent (white spirits) and ISO32 mineral oil (compressor oil) in perhaps a 50/50 mix. You can vary the ratio for best results. Ethanol will work well too. Ethanol is the best for cooling as evaporation of the liquid carries away a lot of heat.

wshelley
02-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Evan, have you tried any of those in a KoolMist? It seemed to have a very low suction and took several minutes for the system to prime and start actually misting. It seems that the higher viscosity would make that worse?

Ward

Evan
02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
No, I don't have a mister. Right now I have straight air for chip clearance and am squirting in a small shot of WD40 equivalent product every few tens of seconds. A mister is on the list. I would think that an air brush gun would make a decent mister unit. I have a Paasche VL1 that I am going to try.

hitnmiss
02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I use the koolmist on my mill, mixed as recommended. I haven't been terribly impressed.

I've found wd40 to be much better too.

The koolmist works okay when the mill is cutting for 10's of minutes so I don't have to babysit it with the Wet Dog.

lane
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I use cool mist systems at home and at work. But only for steel . Just WD 40 in squirt bottle works better for Aluminum.

mochinist
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Misters suck for slitting, stick with the wd-40 or a cutting oil put on with a brush.

Becareful with the brush and if you do screw up and get it caught, let the damn thing go, a new part is cheap compared to the fingers.:rolleyes: