PDA

View Full Version : What else does this Cincinnatti dividing head need?

bob ward
02-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Don't know much about dividing heads, but the present price on this one is attractive. What's in the photos is all that is for sale. It obviously needs a chuck, but does it need rare and expensive bits and pieces to make it a viable unit?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110224487667&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Oldbrock
02-21-2008, 01:33 AM
The only obvious thing you need as well as the chuck is a footstock. If the dividing head isn't too big for your mill you will be very pleased with it. You will find a quality tool under that rust. You might find you will need another dividing plate in the future but if you need a special circle you can look up Gingery's directions for making it in his dividing head instructions. Peter

John Stevenson
02-21-2008, 04:17 AM
The plates are reversable and there will be another set of holes on the back.
Should be two plates / 4 sides and it depends on what is fitted as to how useful.

Chances are it's the most popular plate and the hight count has been lost.

We make Cincinnati plates and hardly ever sell the lower count plate unless someone buys a head with no plates.

Tail stock is missing but they are crude compared to a lathe tailstock.
I have seen them made out of a big lump of angle iron and a bolt for a ram. Crude, ugly but works.

JoeFin
02-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Would be nice to have the tail stock if you could find one.

Also if you want to make worm gears or helical cut gears you’ll need the change gears that go from the table feed to that shaft poking out the back of the dividing head.

Hate to sound like a self promoting SOB, (but you did ask what goes with these heads) but I have a set, never used with all the gears still wrapped in paper from the factory, in the factory box. Wouldn’t take less then $300 usd. because they are impossible to find

rantbot
02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
What does it need? Probably a crane. All the Cincinnati heads I've seen were very heavy, and for that reason alone not so popular for home-shop applications where we old guys have to do all our own lifting.

JCHannum
02-21-2008, 07:59 AM
rantbot is right, it will weigh a jillion pounds. They were made for the large Cincinatti machines and will overpower most smaller machines due to their weight and size.

It is a universal head, and is missing the gearset. You won't need them to use it, but it adds more, unecessary weight.

lazlo
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Like Jim and Rantbot said, the Cincinnati heads are heavy, and big -- quite a bit larger than the Brown & Sharpe and all the clones.

That Cincinnati has spent some time outside -- there's a lot of deep rust...

Alistair Hosie
02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I bought a set of John's plates they are well made and not expensive.I have been really pleased with mine.Alistair

Charles Ping
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
How about one of these:
http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/wiki/index.php?page=DivisionMaster

Full explanation here:
http://www.jeffree.co.uk/divisionmaster.html

Gets rid of all those "wrong plate" moments

Charles

pcarpenter
02-21-2008, 05:42 PM
What about the use of a dividing head of that size on say a Bridgeport mill? I realize it may still be even a bit big for a mill of that size and would not want something that would deflect the table, for example. The reason I ask is that smaller heads seem to go quickly and for a pile of money.

I originally wanted to hold out for a smaller one so I could even use it on my 12" shaper to cut gears with home ground tools, but these larger heads are often more available.

Another smaller alternative I suppose is to just get a maybe 6" rotary table with the dividing plates and the tailstock. It doesn't tilt like a dividing head, however.

Paul

boslab
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
grey paint and love, i'm sure it'll get both
mark