PDA

View Full Version : Hero to Zero in a few hours!

torker
02-21-2008, 08:46 PM
LOL! There the Hero was... all caught up on the work running through the shop. Got a pretty good portable welding job tomorrow. Get to see if I taught the gurl how to weld pipe good enough to pull this off.
So.. previously mentioned Hero... had a bit of free time for a change. And a LOT of "On the Go" projects that need caught up as well.
So.. with wallet and phone in hand... start ordering stuff. Got steel ordered for the newer/bigger 20 ton press I want to build.(Picked it up an hour ago)
Ordered collets for the turret lathe (they arrived yesterday)(still got a bunch of tooling on route from back East for it)
Got the motor reversed...everything oiled up...just need tooling. I'll get more done on it tonight.
Ordered all the stuff for the new down feed cylinder for my Wells bandsaw (it all came today) I'll get more done on it tonight.
Picked up O2/Acet bottles for my portable rig...have to build a new DOT approved mounting rig for that. I'll get that done tonight.
Picked up the 6" sch 40 for the job tomorrow. Gotta cut all the pieces to length and put the 30* bevels on. I'll get that done tonight.
Picked up some of that Wizzbang alu brazing rod today. Supposed to be the cats meow for lots of alu repairs. I'll try it out tonight.
Went and picked up the extra safety equipment for the gurl to work on the site tomorrow. Have to assemble some of it yet. I'll do that later tonight.
Have to build a couple quick jigs for holding the vert pipe we're welding tomorrow. I'll do that later tonight.
Started working on the portable boring bar again (finally) Had to pick up more parts for it today. I'll work on it later tonight.
Had to haul more wood up from the big pile... I'll burn that later tonight.
Now don't you just love havin a relaxing day off? It's tonight I'm dreading.
There I was.. all caught up. I don't think that'll be happening again for awhile. Back to Zero :D
But.. oh boy.. do I have some cool projects to work on now!
Russ
BTW... I wouldn't trade this for nothing!

Evan
02-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I expect a progress report at 00:01 hours.

torker
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Evan... pop over for coffee...you could help out for awhile. I'd give you a snowmobile :D

tattoomike68
02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Got steel ordered for the newer/bigger 20 ton press I want to build

20 ton is not much of a press, I would shoot for 50 ton minimum.

Like this but with some meat...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96188

Evan
02-21-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't go outside in the winter if I have a choice. What are you doing still on here Russ? You only have 5 hours left.;)

Seriously, I would like to stop by this summer maybe. It depends on when and if we visit the kids in Calgary. No plans yet, we'll see.

torker
02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Evan.. I'm eating supper (late). Yup..you gotta stop by.
Mikey.. I really want a 50 tonner also. That'll come. I'm just going to enlarge the frame on the old 12 ton (18" wide) I built years ago. Got that new air/hydro jack for it.
Yup... I better git. Like I'm going to get all of this done tonight...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I kill myself :D
Russ

BadDog
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Lot of that "later tonight" business. :D Starting to sound like "tomorrow morning" on a lot of it... and this week end on some, and...

Mcgyver
02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
20 ton is not much of a press, I would shoot for 50 ton minimum.

]

Mike, its HF, you have to invert the numbers, thats an 05 ton press :)

JRouche
02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Dang Russ!!! You sure you want anymore coffe LOL Sounds like you blasted through a good amount of "to-do" projects today.. Makes you feel good at the end of the day and look back. Like ahhh, I got alot accomplished. And you did.

The press eats up alot of steel quick. I built my 50 ton years back when steel was still affordable. Mine is not even close to the quality you have. Rudimentary at best but it is stout and works as needed. Mine uses the semi inexpensive HF 50 ton bottle jack. Its slow going (not air over oil) but does put the squish to parts when needed..

Ok, now I feel like a slouch reading your list of "got dones". Hmm, too dark now LOL Yeah, thats my excuse, and if its daylight out, too cold works well too.

Good job, JRouche

DancingBear
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Mike, its HF, you have to invert the numbers, thats an 05 ton press :)

Then I did good to get the 12-ton model, huh? :D

Walt

speedsport
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
damm, you must have really long nights up north!.

torker
02-22-2008, 12:49 AM
OK.. how did I do...lol!
Got the pipes all cut and deburred.
Loaded the tool boxes for the job.
Built the pipe welding jigs.
Chop and burn a bunch of wood :D
Now the good stuff... played on the new to me turret lathe. What a pile of fun that thing is. I NEED THAT TOOLING! Damm ebay guy. He's pretty slow. Anyway.. I finally got a chance to try out my new to me $200 German turret lathe. I got ripped off... I should have had to pay at least $1000 for that thing. It's very cool.
Got a bunch done for the new downfeed cylider. Had to change more stuff than I thought and now I had a brainwave... I'm going to build a panel that goes behind the front of the vise (off to the side of course) . The panel will house the new speed control and I have added a lever tap to the mess to use as a holding brake. It has a mechanical holding brake but it's very crappy to use it.
This will require more parts than I had here tonight.
Got the new top mount spun on the lathe. Got all the fittings taped up and tightened.
This cylinder is cool. A very worthwhile investment.
Ya.. Mike your right.. i knew I'd never get it all done. Got most of it.
Russ.. (still havin fun for the most part!)

JRouche
02-22-2008, 01:44 AM
I NEED THAT TOOLING! Damm ebay guy. He's pretty slow. Anyway..

Hey Russ. What size tooling does it take. I have a lil emco lathe here that I bought a bunch of tool holders for. They are only 5/8" ID bore (small but what I use).. Ill ship you some of what you can use, shipping only.. I imagine we could get it squeaked up there for not too much. Lemme know. JRouche