PDA

View Full Version : So if you had a spare $1000.. what to buy?

torker
02-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Really? Every once in awhile I save up a grand.. sorta mad money... and buy something for my shop. Usually end up spending double but it always starts out that way.
Right now I'm in pretty good shape.. 3 welders, decent plasma cutter.
The machine shop side... ho hum... not great. I really need a bigger, better lathe. Got my hotrod mill/drill. My old Ohio universal and the Van Norman with BP head coming this spring. Lathes and mills are out of the $1000 range of course.(I have a plan.. selling my Harley in the spring... buying a better lathe)
I'd really like to buy a good mag drill but that only means one thing... big steel. I'm not quite ready to deal with heavy iron yet. I have an overhead crane I bought but no building to put it in yet. Forklift has them little smooth rubber tires so it won't work in this yard. Still looking for a decent offroad forklift that I can afford.
Just got a good workhorse saw.
Just got the turret lathe.
Got my homebuilt cutter endmill sharpener...works for me.
Lots of sheetmetal stuff.. ring/bead rollers. Small brake, smallish press with dies.
Got mandrel tubing bender and a cheap bow and arrow bender.
So.. new or used... any ideas?
I want my shop to be very versatile. I'm thinking some of the brainpower here may be a good thing to get ideas.
Thanks!
Russ

Forrest Addy
02-22-2008, 08:37 AM
A new jointer.

torker
02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
A new jointer.
Don't need one. I bought a like new 8" long bed jointer last summer when I was rebuilding my house.
Also bought a new tablesaw. Not as good as my Unisaws I had at one time but it'll do for me now.
Where do we sign up for Machineaholics Anonymous?

BigBoy1
02-22-2008, 09:16 AM
How about welding equipment? That is what I'm saving for. I'm getting tired of making all joints held together with bolts or roll pins. I want to be able to make weld joints. I'm currently enrolled in local college's evening welding class so I can learn how to do it.

Bill

torker
02-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Bill, I already have one of the best equipped welding shops in the area. Only things I'd like to add to that.. a big ol' 600 amp engine driven unit for heavy duty gouging and I'd like a good O2/Acet burning table. Still lookin for one of the older ones with the photo eye. Found a 4X8 table out in Saskatchewan but they want too much loot for it. Be ok but add on $1000 or so in gas to go get it. No... not spending the grand on gas...

Your Old Dog
02-22-2008, 09:45 AM
As one museum curator to another. You ever loan out parts of your collection or maybe put them on tour? :D

Actually, for serious answer, lighting. Make all stations convienant to be around with good solid lighting and you'd be spending your coin wisely IMHO. You'll appreciate it everytime you walk up to the machine and turn'em on.

Or, as another idea. How about this. It's looking like it's gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250217435629&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

Evan
02-22-2008, 10:29 AM
More tools, of course.

hornluv
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I'd buy raw stock and lots of it, while it's "cheap". The cost is only going to go up after all. And a decent drill press. Mine is a POS.

Stuart

JoeFin
02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Priority #1 right now is more square footage

Sitting on $5000 now and hoping to pull the rest out of pocket as I go. Adding 600 square ft to the existing 450 should cut cost slightly excepting my taste for what passes as descent shop space has been refined some what.

6" slab with radiant heating run off of solar assisted heating equipment(with diversion valve to heat swimming pool in summer time), 10' ceiling height minimum with at least 1 skylight to add some true daylight to the fluorescent lighting. Piped for air, vacuum, 3 phase, single phase and data

camdigger
02-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Ebay iron worker?!??? 45 Ton C/W dies. Made of gold for a welding/fab shop. Accurate cuts minimal flash. No oxidation or other slag on cuts. Holes to 1" dia in 15 seconds.

2ManyHobbies
02-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Propane forge and power hammer?
Induction heater? (Okay, probably not for a grand...)
Electrostatic paint sprayer setup?

BobWarfield
02-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Get started building a CNC plasma table. You might even get pretty close to finishing it for $1000, and I'd think you certainly could finish it for $2000. You can run your torch on it too. It would be a tremendous complement to your welding business and you could likely do some light manufacturing with it if you think of some products.

Cheers,

BW

Fasttrack
02-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds to me like the best use of the 1000 dollars is to send it to me. I am very good at managing money and would be delighted to spend yours for you.
:D

Seriously though - either keep saving it for bigger equipment, buy tooling or look at getting an ironworker. I love ironworkers. (err... the tools i mean) I'm sure you already have lots of expierence with them and maybe they aren't what your shop really needs but if i had some extra cash lying around and already had the basics, i'd look at an ironworker.

clutch
02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Is there a project you want to build that has been out of your reach? I've been wanting to build a Gatling gun and between taxes, bonus, and overtime, I have the money plus a bit to put in savings. I've been ordering material and tooling for the last week. UPS is getting tired of coming here.

Clutch

SGW
02-22-2008, 03:06 PM
300 gallons of heating oil? :(

clutch
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
300 gallons of heating oil? :(

I'd be out in the shop moving metal if I could afford to heat it.

Clutch in Northern Michigan

LastOldDog
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
. . . Or, as another idea. How about this. It's looking like it's gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250217435629&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

Hi, do you have a 'Buy it now' price in mind? I would like to have it for my SB7

Thanx,
Lloyd

LastOldDog@sbcglobal./net

831.427.0229 day or night

IOWOLF
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
$500.00 for little black dress and Bikini and sexy underthings for Gurl.
$500.00 for setting up a web site to show Gurl in, Or out of above items.
Sitting back and raking in the profits, Priceless.

Fasttrack
02-22-2008, 05:02 PM
$500.00 for little black dress and Bikini and sexy underthings for Gurl.
$500.00 for setting up a web site to show Gurl in, Or out of above items.
Sitting back and raking in the profits, Priceless.

Shameless! :eek:

:D

piniongear
02-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Really? Every once in awhile I save up a grand.. sorta mad money... and buy something for my shop. Usually end up spending double but it always starts out that way.
Right now I'm in pretty good shape.. 3 welders, decent plasma cutter.
The machine shop side... ho hum... not great. I really need a bigger, better lathe. Got my hotrod mill/drill. My old Ohio universal and the Van Norman with BP head coming this spring. Lathes and mills are out of the $1000 range of course.(I have a plan.. selling my Harley in the spring... buying a better lathe)
I'd really like to buy a good mag drill but that only means one thing... big steel. I'm not quite ready to deal with heavy iron yet. I have an overhead crane I bought but no building to put it in yet. Forklift has them little smooth rubber tires so it won't work in this yard. Still looking for a decent offroad forklift that I can afford.
Just got a good workhorse saw.
Just got the turret lathe.
Got my homebuilt cutter endmill sharpener...works for me.
Lots of sheetmetal stuff.. ring/bead rollers. Small brake, smallish press with dies.
Got mandrel tubing bender and a cheap bow and arrow bender.
So.. new or used... any ideas?
I want my shop to be very versatile. I'm thinking some of the brainpower here may be a good thing to get ideas.
Thanks!
Russ
I would spend the extra money on:
1) A bead blast cabinet....provided you have the compressor capable of powering it........or,
2) If no compressor, then get one.......or,
3) A 20 inch disc sander......or,
4) A Makita 1230LS metal saw. This has a carbide blade and only costs $400 so you have some change coming back......or,
5) A good horizontal power hack saw (USA made) So, you may have to save a little more to have this sitting in your shop.
6) My last choice is probably the wisest purchase you can make and at the same time get more return for your dollar...... Buy something for your wife........pg

wierdscience
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Track torch?

Actually I have been thinking of building a gantry fitted out with DC motors for simple straight line and rectangular cuts in the here and now and convert to full up CNC control later as I get time.3 axis cutting would be nice too.Plasma arc for the lite stuff and ox/ac for 5/8"+.

JRouche
02-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Now what I would buy is not what you would buy. You have square footage (jealous) I dont. I have to buy small things..

I really like the two above suggestions cause you are into alot of structural builds. The ironworker and CNC or tracer plasma table.. Dunno if you can get the IR for a grand though. The plasma table could be had for close. Just imagine all the extra jobs you could bid on with that one !!! :)

Oh, and always raw materials for me, its always rising in price. But if you are building stuff for others that doesnt matter.

Consumables are something I always stock up when my Mad Wad is starting to get too thick.. TIG and Plasma consumables for the torches. Tungsten cause Im always dippin (you wont need any tungsten). Cutters for the mill and lathe.

I like the plasma table for you buddy!!! JRouche

john hobdeclipe
02-22-2008, 10:01 PM
A small gas forge, an anvil, and a kiln / oven large enough and accurate enough to allow me to heat treat metals, thermoform plastics, fuse glass, and cook dinner.

We just added a 20' X 40' portico to the front of my shop. The primary purpose is to keep the vehicles out of the elements (read hail storms and new Tundra) but I have about 20 x 15 or so for toys, and I want to put my metal forging stuff out there, whenever I get it.

Torker, is this a contest? Are you GIVING a thousand bucks to whoever writes the best essay?

Ken_Shea
02-22-2008, 10:15 PM
If it was my $1K, believe it would be a small surface grinder I would be looking for.

lazlo
02-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree with that Ken, but he's still running a Mill/Drill. I'd upgrade to a knee mill before I'd get a surface grinder, but maybe that's just me...

Ken_Shea
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Ordinarily I'd agree with that Ken, but he's still running a Mill/Drill.

Wrong, I don't do any milling , window snoop :D

torker
02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
LOL! Some damm funny stuff here guys! Wolfie wins that part of course! Too bad he doesn't know just how good lookin the "gurl" really is :D
Hmmm... Surface grinder...I want, Forge would be cool. Already have the loot sittin in the bank for a 30X30X12 addition to the shop.
Already have a beadblast cabinet...two compressors (5 hp and 7 hp) (all fake hp of course)
Already have a knee mill and another coming.
Just bought a 9X16 Wells bandsaw (I love this frikkin thing)
Yaa... a big drill press would be nice. I'd love to have a 5' radial.
An ironworker. Ya...that would be the real deal for my shop. Cheapest one I've seen up here has gone for $8000.
The CNC or whatever cutting table. Now you got me thinking. I'm thinkin about 30 to 40 hours a week for a month or so .. on the phone with Evan...we'd get one of those figured out :D
Serious.. good idea guys.
And.. Pete Cook has given me the heads up about CNC tables. He's built more than a couple from what I understand.
Now that would make my shop unique around here.
But the ironworker with hole punch...instant cash!
Cool! Now I have some ideas!
And don't tell me to buy lotto tickets. I'd prolly win the million...end up sitting on the couch watchin TV (the ol' lady would love that) and die of boredom in a couple months.
Russ

moldmonkey
02-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Sounds like you are doing pretty well on the machine side. How about tooling? Better cutting tools can make a world of difference in productivity. Better workholding makes setups easier.

If I had a $1000, it would probably go for accessories for the second op lathes.

tony ennis
02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
My nekkid lathe could probably soak up a large part of $1000. If it didn't, the build-out in the basement would finish off whatever would be left.

Peter N
02-23-2008, 06:11 AM
So if you had a spare $1000.. what to buy?

A weekend in Amsterdam...:D

Peter

John Stevenson
02-23-2008, 06:32 AM
The CNC or whatever cutting table. Now you got me thinking. I'm thinkin about 30 to 40 hours a week for a month or so .. on the phone with Evan...we'd get one of those figured out :D
Serious.. good idea guys.
And.. Pete Cook has given me the heads up about CNC tables. He's built more than a couple from what I understand.
Now that would make my shop unique around here.

Russ
Russ,

Seriously it's not hard.
From the pic's you have shown here of projects, you have the knowledge to make the mechanical parts, probably better than any of the commercial ones available who just copy others.

Why not just do a bit of homework and a bit of thought and start to collect parts, mechanical at first, rails, pulleys etc.

Don't copy the profile kits that are out there, they are all the same.
Look to how commercial lasers work. These are mega $$$$ and have to be the most efficient to claw back the return.
If you want more pointers email me.

Once you have enough put say two hours a week aside to do a bit, see if the lady can also throw in a couple of hours.
It soon mounts up, doesn't expend much cash in dribs and drabs and by the time you get to the hard bit, the electronics it will probably have moved on and be easier.

An example of this is Gecko Drives are bringing a 4 axis modular drive out for about $300 all built, plug and play. In development but by the time you are ready it's one less hurdle.

Software is out there but it's getting easier day by day.

airsmith282
02-23-2008, 08:15 AM
if i had a spare 1000.00 id be getting me a milling machine. Which iam hopefully going to be getting at the end of april once the new stock arives. Just hope i get the extra 1000.00 ...I need for the calmps and other tooling ill need and i gota build a new work bench to hold the sucker so 2100.00 is where am at needing .But if all goes well ill have it ,,then i can be more productive

torker
02-23-2008, 08:58 AM
OK guys! Thanks! I'm all pumped up on the roll your own cutting table now.
Darin... the simple gantry table you mentioned. I've actually kicked some ideas around for a simple gas line cutter. Now I have a better plasma machine (7/8" capable)(IF you got time for a nap while cutting :D) and could incorporate that as well.
John... good advice. I like the couple hours here and there bit. That's how I build a lot of my stuff. And I'm always looking for "filler" work for the helper when she runs out of paying jobs.
And what JR said.. the rising cost of steel. For a deal like this... it's got to be heavy duty so the steel is going to cost big $$$.
LOL... now I know where my overhead crane is going to go. Need that to load the table.
Time to start a new thread about the table WE are going to build.
Thanks again..
Russ