PDA

View Full Version : HF tool chest. Opinions?

Virgil Johnson
02-22-2008, 08:09 PM
The big red monstrosity ( 90320-5VGA) is on sale at a price that is cheap enough to make me consider it. 299.00. Anyone own one? Is worth dragging home at this price? Thanks.

wirewrkr
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Chinese made (hence the price), but SERIOUS heavy gauge steel, thicker than my old snap-on airport box.
More like the gauge used on the old MBC boxes when they still made boxes. If I needed a box, that's what I would buy.
I just built my own, wanted to for years.
Robert

02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
I have both the top and the bottom, They are well made the drawer slides work great no dragging in when loaded to the top.

I got mine about a year ago, they were both on sale. I think its a good buy...

Rookie machinist
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
As long as the drawer slides seem heavy enough to support what you want in them. I have never owned a HF unit but did start tool collecting with a imported off but did not have good luck. From what the others have said they are using a heavy gauge steel, so it sounds like it may be a good deal.

kendall
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
I check them out every time I'm at HF, and they seem nice and solid.

If it's any indication, that's about the only thing I've never seen broken at the local store.

Still trying to figure out where the 5th drawer is on that 5 drawer cart they have.

Ken.

Your Old Dog
02-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I have a used Kennedy machinist chest and I'm not terribly impressed with it. Sounds like the Harbor Freight may actually be more substantial then the Kennedy.

PSD KEN
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I have the top and bottom boxes, surprisingly well built considering their source.

Yep, Kennedy's do not hold up, my circa 1963 model is showing signs of wear in the drawer slides!!

gregl
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM
If it is the one I think it is, it's a generic that comes in with other names on it as well, including Excel. Pep Boys also carries it. I bought one from Excel in Los Angeles and have been very happy with it. I think it is much better than the stainless ones sold by Costco. I wrote a review of mine on dieselstop.com but they've overhauled the site and I can't find it at the moment. The sheet metal is heavier than most, the drawers slide easily. Again, if this is what I think it is, I think it's better than the earlier model they carried. The only issues were: the bolts holding the casters on were not tight enough, the top lid was slightly bowed at the front to poor technique on the bending brake (only noticeable to a perfectionist), and the drawer lock rods were binding. But considering the price, these issues were minor and easily dealt with or ignored.

Your Old Dog
02-28-2008, 06:29 AM
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and looked yesterday at what I think is the tool chest your described . It had "General" written on it. I thought it was a tremendous value if you could get it for your price. I found it much more substantial then my Kennedy machinist chest and nearly on par with my Craftsman box but it has a little smoother rolling drawers. I'm thinking about getting one for myself. The top chest was just as nice but nearly cost as much.