PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford Manifold Gasket Leaking

madman
02-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Is this a job that could be repaired by cleaning the affected area with contact cleaner and pouring in some JB Weld epoxy? Or is this idea too hacky to try? Any comments or suggestions?

torker
02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Intake manifold? Is it cracked or something? Or is coolant running out between it and the heads? If it is...I know it's cold there but it's got to come apart to fix it right. And use silicon sealer around the intake ports.

GKman
02-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Exhaust manifold? Friend had a 460 in a motor home. Exhaust manifold shrunk more than 1/2 a bolt hole lengthwise and sheared studs of course. He found that they were notorious for it and installed stainless headers. Good luck.

Sparky_NY
02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
You didn't mention intake or exhaust manifold but I am going to take a guess.

Ford 460's had a well known problem with exhaust manifolds. They break off the rearmost mounting bolt. This happens because of expansion and contraction and the clearance holes in the manifold not being large enough to accomidate the expansion. When the bolt shears off you get a exhaust leak and noise in time.

This happens a lot in motorhomes, the engines work hard and get hot commonly. The most popular fix is a Banks Power pack kit, which includes stainless steel exhaust headers and entire exhaust among other things.

Earlier Chevy 454 engines also had exhaust manifold problems. They would warp and then leak at the gasket. Same common fix as the ford. I had this happen to me.

I bought a ford 460 motorhome in the fall and did some reading on common problems. That is when I learned of the broken exhaust stud problem. Those "in the know" look for that on any prepurchase inspection.

Sparky_NY
02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Funny, you were typing that reply as I was typing mine. Great minds think alike.

Exhaust manifold? Friend had a 460 in a motor home. Exhaust manifold shrunk more than 1/2 a bolt hole lengthwise and sheared studs of course. He found that they were notorious for it and installed stainless headers. Good luck.