X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luke55
    • Oct 2004

Static problem

I run a a cotton wheel on my 8in grinder. Got lot of static discharge while polishing. The grinder is well grounded to the electrical circuit. Also try to gound it to an earth ground rod. The only way I've found is to ground myself to the grinder. I hate that solution.

How to solve that problem ...WITHOUT GIVING HANDS TO INCOMERS. NOBODY TRUST ME NOW.
    thanks Luke
  • chipmaker4130
    • Oct 2006

Hi Luke. Did you try mounting a grounded pickup bar or wire across the edge of the wheel? If you use a guard, it's as easy as bending a length of solid copper wire to fit around a guard screw and extend across the outer periphery of the wheel as close as you can get without touching it. If it 'whips' the wire lightly that's fine. If you don't use guards, just mount the wire some other way and in a spot you don't use for buffing.

Gordon
    Southwest Utah

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
      • Aug 2002

Stand barefoot on a metal plate connected tothe grinder pedestal.
      Static wont build up then.
      ...lew...

Comment

• boslab
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Luke55
        I run a a cotton wheel on my 8in grinder. Got lot of static discharge while polishing. The grinder is well grounded to the electrical circuit. Also try to gound it to an earth ground rod. The only way I've found is to ground myself to the grinder. I hate that solution.

How to solve that problem ...WITHOUT GIVING HANDS TO INCOMERS. NOBODY TRUST ME NOW.
        thanks Luke
        your shoes, get some antistatic ones, they leak the charge away, are you polishing plastics? charge gets quite high with acrylic.
        regards
        mark

Comment

• Luke55
          • Oct 2004

Thanks chipmaker work well .
          I now have to make a decent setup
          I'm polishing antique oilers for engines

Comment

Working...
          X