PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw bearings

kjbllc
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I want to make a new guide system for my bandsaw, it is wood but I guess the metal bandsaw bearings are the same more or less. I have made part of it and now I am looking for some bearings. NOt exactly sure what to call them. are they thrust bearings? I have a lot of room for them with what I have in mind so size is not a big problem, I guess the only thing would be the mounting hole, it would be nice to be something common thread to get and tap. thanks if you can help, not sure if this is off topic or not.

SGW
02-26-2008, 02:37 PM
If you're doing what I think you're doing.....

You can get ball bearing races, relatively cheap, in either inch or metric dimensions, from places like www.mcmaster.com
I've not heard of any bearings with a tapped center hole (not to say they may not exist) but your best bet may be to use something like a shoulder screw (also available from McMaster-Carr). Or just a regular bolt with washers would probably work okay for your application. You certainly won't be able to tap a hardened bearing race yourself.

pcarpenter
02-26-2008, 02:46 PM
In most of the guide systems I have used, the two side bearings are held in place by a sort of shoulder bolt whose body is turned eccentric. You just rotate this bolt to bring the bearings in to just touch the blade from each side. As I recall, the shoulder bolt then locks in place with a jamb nut on the back side.

Edit...the shank of the shoulder bolt is turned *round* but eccentric with reference to the threaded portion on the end. This means as you thread it in, it moves the bearing arround in a somewhat eliptical path. The bearings are just a standard shielded radial contact ball bearing on my saws. They probably should be sealed bearings...but either way, there is nothing special about them.

Paul

kjbllc
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
yes, I didn't explain it well, the tapping is for the block that I will attach it to, not the bearing. thanks I will look in carr for the bearings.