PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone buy harbor freights extended service plan?

snowman
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I bought my 7x12 horizontal bandsaw today (25% off!) and they were trying to guilt me in to purchasing the plan. For $130 I could get two years of coverage.

Of course, I chose not to, but I'm wondering if anyone does.

BobC
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I recently did for a 220v MIG welder HF sells. I think it was $30 for two years but I wonder if it was worth it. Most consumer advisors say purchasing the extended warranties are generally not advisable.

smiller6912
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
"Clark Howard" says: Extended warranties are the most expensive insurance policies that you can buy. They are almost a pure profit item for the seller.
If you feel that you want one, it is generally possible to get a rider on one of your existing insurance policies (home owners) for pennies on the dollar of what store extended plans cost. And then, it's usually only advisable for fairly expensive items.
If it gives you a "Warm-Fuzzy" felling to buy an extended plan and you can afford it, by all means do it, that is what it is for.

snowman
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Anybody dealt with HF for replacement parts? Just curious.

IOWOLF
02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I did for my Grinder, when the stones got down at 11 months, I took it back and said I want a new one, I got a new one, with new wheels.
The one and only time I did it and it was for that reason.

rockrat
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Anybody dealt with HF for replacement parts? Just curious.

Had a pipe threader that had one chaser that just was not right. I tried to fix it but I think that the inserts were ground parallel instead of tapered. Anyhow, I took the chaser back to HF and the fellow walked out to the floor and pulled a new one out of the box and gave it to me. Told me that if it didnt work to let him know. It worked and I'm happy.

But it does make me wonder how much it costs them for the tools and what the markup is. Some times with the tool cost, import costs, a sale and then a cupon on top, there just cant be much profit left. But we all know they dont do it for free.

rock-

lazlo
02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I bought the extended warranty for the HF "Purple Gun" (their HVLP paint gun).

It was definitely worth it -- like a lot of Harbor Freight's stuff, the purple gun only lasts about 3 painting and cleaning cycles, and I must have replaced it 5 or 6 times during the warranty period.

The warranty just consists of you brining in the old item to the counter at your local Harbor Freight, preferably with the tri-fold warranty sheet they give you when you buy it. You just exchange the old item with a new item on the shelf, and you don't even fill out any paperwork. Completely painless.

snowman
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Actually, the warranty for this item included them coming to my house and repairing or replacing. Something about once you go over 500 that's how it works.

lazlo
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, that's impressive Snowman!

JRouche
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Actually, the warranty for this item included them coming to my house and repairing or replacing. Something about once you go over 500 that's how it works.

I never have. I also have never bought anything of any real expense from them either.

For the lathe, would you really want the counter clerk or back warehouse guy coming to your house and fiddling with it just to say"looks good from here".

Guaranteed they are not gonna know a fraction as much as you do. So at that point you just are gonna need a repair part cause you will have already had the problem diagnosed before the cash register operator came.

Its not like buying a Haas lathe and getting a service package to boot. JRouche

snowman
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
That's what I told the register guy...I gave him the "I'm a machinist, I'll make the part" schpeil. I think it's the same as the Grizzly saw for parts anyway.

I was surprised as heck with them though. I went in yesterday with a coupon that expired yesterday and they couldn't sell me one because they couldn't get to it (truck had just came in). I asked to speak to a manager, told him that I had went through all kinds of trouble to borrow a truck...blah blah blah....he just said, "I can give you another ten percent off tomorrow"...my mouth shut, I wrote his name on the sale ad and said I'd see him tomorrow. Went from saving 105 to saving 175, so I can't complain too much. I was surprised how quickly he offered the discount though. I didn't even get to get upset.