PDA

View Full Version : O.T. - Electric Stents?

Weston Bye
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
As many of you know, I had a stent put in back in May. All has gone well, but I have had occasions of minor pain in the chest region. Doc says the heart is OK, but keep the nitro handy. The pain followed no pattern or reason and was never bad enough to cause me to consider the nitro.

I am happy to report that it disappeared after I stopped carrying my cell phone in my shirt pocket.

This makes me wonder if the phone antenna, close-coupled to the stent, was inducing some small current in the metal stent that was irritating the surrounding tissue.

Has anybody ever heard of this? I have found nothing like it on the web.

Certainly, my experience is anecdotal evidence and perhaps even placebo effect. Maybe later I will go the scientific route and experiment by putting the phone back in the pocket and watch (feel) for symptoms.

Lew Hartswick
02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
As many of you know, I had a stent put in back in May. All has gone well, but I have had occasions of minor pain in the chest region. Doc says the heart is OK, but keep the nitro handy. The pain followed no pattern or reason and was never bad enough to cause me to consider the nitro.

I am happy to report that it disappeared after I stopped carrying my cell phone in my shirt pocket.

This makes me wonder if the phone antenna, close-coupled to the stent, was inducing some small current in the metal stent that was irritating the surrounding tissue.

Has anybody ever heard of this? I have found nothing like it on the web.

Certainly, my experience is anecdotal evidence and perhaps even placebo effect. Maybe later I will go the scientific route and experiment by putting the phone back in the pocket and watch (feel) for symptoms.

As an also stent "wearer" and an electronic engineer I doubt it.
BUT! it never hurts to verify, verify. If it wasent serious try it again
and see.
When the phone is not "ON" it shouldn't be radiating any RF so I
can't see any mechanism to cause the phenomenon. Try it with a
"pocket" FM radio.
...lew...

kendall
02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
No knowledge of stents, but I have a metal sliver buried deep in the meat of my hand, and if I get it too close to transmitters and some electric motors it stings pretty badly.

So if it's metal, I'd say highly possible.

I don't know if it's frequency, power, or modulation that does it to my hand, but I tend to be left handed around radios and running motors.

Ken.

Weston Bye
02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
...When the phone is not "ON" it shouldn't be radiating any RF...

Cell phones, when ON but not in use, keep up a periodic dialogue with the network - keeping the network up to date on who is where - for potential call routing. If the cell tower is nearby, the phone just uses low power. If the signal is weak or intermittent, the phone can use up most of the battery in a day transmitting at high power just to maintain contact with the network - even if I never make or receive a phone call.

dp
02-26-2008, 09:06 PM

I discovered that, too. I always felt fatigued from time to time with no exertion involved. One day I decided to stop putting my Treo in my shirt pocket and the problem ended. I'd spoken with my doctor about it and he said there's no relationship, but I can reproduce the problem by putting that phone in my pocket.