PDA

View Full Version : OT? - Shop Tips on FRETS.COM

Frank Ford
02-26-2008, 07:55 PM
My Web site, FRETS.COM has just turned ten years old, so I thought I'd celebrate by adding a new section. It's a growing collection (375 so far) of simple shop tips, from plain ordinary common sense oldies to new stuff, some of which I've actually thought up myself.

While not exactly a strictly metal working resource, there are items for home shop types, luthiers, crafters, and all kinds of folks.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/ShopTips/tiplist.html

Hope you enjoy 'em. . .

Mcgyver
02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Frank, I've always enjoyed your site, thanks for having it available

dp
02-26-2008, 08:48 PM
It's one of my favorite stops, Frank - for a number of reasons. Your inventiveness is inspiring and you do fine work frugally. Congrats on your 10th!

BobC
02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm having some difficulty displaying the page properly from the link provided. However, since first finding your web site, I have always enjoyed reading about and viewing the many useful tips found there. Thanks for sharing.

JRouche
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Frank, your site has always been a must see place to go. I think for everyone on this board. Great site..

Ok, off on my tangent again.. I have been trying to push for a "Projects" sub group, to no avail :) This (Links) would be another one, and very useful IMO.. A "Links for hints and tips" sub group..

I know, I know, I know.. Folks dont like seeing a forum over run with sub groups. I agree, a forum could be over run, but on the flip side it can be under run also. And I think this forum is.

Not to be negative but I dont see any participation from the owners. No feedback or interaction. Granted, they are a business supplying us with a page to discuss our hobby, thank you very much.

But the forum needs some additional management. A way for the members to poll on specific items like "would a sub group be useful"?

I think a sub group with just links and only links to outstanding sites such as Franks would be very useful to the new member or new to the hobby beginner. Easy to find information..

NOW.. Frank, I am so sorry to infringe on your original post to express my opinion but it directly applies to you post. JRouche

darryl
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
First thing I looked at since it's timely for me was the air blow gun. I bought one of those, though I didn't think I'd like it- but I do. We did a test before buying it- threw it to the floor numerous times in the store to see if it would break. It didn't. Now I wish I had bought a few more.

aostling
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Toilet paper, hint #216, is going to get implemented tomorrow!

Wayne02
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Very helpful site, thanks Frank.

matador
02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Great tips,Frank.I've only read up to no.30 so far,but will go back when i have more time.
Just as an aside to the toilet paper tip,here's a related one.When painting a bike,car,or other metal object,when you've finished sanding,put a piece of toilet paper under your hand,and run it over the finished area.For reasons I don't know,you will feel any irregularities stand out.I was given this tip 40 odd years ago by a painter,now long gone.

AussieChris
02-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Frank, that's brilliant - so many great ideas.

Chris,
Brisbane Australia.

ps. No wonder they're called "rare" earth magnets - it's because you've got most of them in your shop!

38_Cal
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I was taught to use a clean shop rag or silicone cloth when evaluating a used gun in the gun store, to help see if there were any ripples, dings, or whammies in the barrel before buying it for the business. You can usually feel irregularities that can't be easily seen when you've got the cloth between the fingers and steel!

David
Montezuma, IA

hornluv
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Great page, Frank! I'll have to spend all day tomorrow looking at it instead of working. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but the aforementioned tip on the blow gun is number 007 (DUH DA, DA DAAAAAAAA). I also like the tip on diagonal cutter selection (number 087). A neat trick with dikes is to fill in the void by the cutting edges with silicone. When it's cured, slice it down the middle with a razor, then when you cut a piece of wire it doesn't go zinging off into the ether, or worse yet, someone's eyeball.

Stuart

BadDog
02-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I've always loved your site Frank, I found it when I first started this hobby.

However, that page has some major issues when viewed in my browser. Each line is cut off, showing only the top 25% or so of the text. Changing text size has only a marginal effect. Looking at the source, seems the problem is with your table row defs...

john clements
02-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks, Frank. Great site just got even better.

John Clements

smagovic
02-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Frank, I very much admire and appreciate what you are doing for us. Your site is both an inspiration and an open book from which I learned a lot. I am there every week. Many thanks. Vic Smagovic

Norman Atkinson
02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Frank,
I am in the UK but can't get the proper titbits either.
Would you kindly have a look to see what can be done.
Meantime, my thanks for taking so much time to help others.

Cheers

Norman

Your Old Dog
02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
I am unable to see the Emperors cloths!! The top paragraph comes out fine but the list is gibberish. But, as I read along it appears I'm the only one with the problem?

I save off any image that even remotely interest me and my shop image file has a lot of your tips in it Frank. Thanks for taking the time.

John R
02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
YOD, you are not alone. I got the same image as you did.
John R

dwentz
02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Frank,

Your site is great. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this info, and your insite with all of us. I also keep my daughters guitars in shape, and your site is always the first place I go when I am researching something.

Thanks again!

Dale

TheAndroid
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm having some difficulty displaying the page properly from the link provided. However, since first finding your web site, I have always enjoyed reading about and viewing the many useful tips found there. Thanks for sharing.

I am also. I am using MSIE 7 under Vista. It appears that the table row is only 13 high and that is causing the text and links to crowd over each other. Is there a particular reason why you set the table row height at all? It should render okay without that.

Thanks.

gld
02-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I've always loved your site Frank, I found it when I first started this hobby.

However, that page has some major issues when viewed in my browser. Each line is cut off, showing only the top 25% or so of the text. Changing text size has only a marginal effect. Looking at the source, seems the problem is with your table row defs...

I see the same thing.

Bill in Ky
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Frank, I really like your site, I have it bookmarked and look at it often. I have used some of your tips and made some of the projects you show.
Bill

Frank Ford
02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Just got to the computer this morning. I don't know how the table cell heights got stuck at 13, but I think I have 'em cleared now.

I'm a Mac-only guy, so I often get tripped up by not knowing how things will display or work in the PC world.

DR
02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
When I go to the site I get a bunch of dots and dashes which look like Braille graphics. If I click on one it brings up the shop tip.

Anybody else seeing this?

topct
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I see them just fine.

TheAndroid
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Just got to the computer this morning. I don't know how the table cell heights got stuck at 13, but I think I have 'em cleared now.

I'm a Mac-only guy, so I often get tripped up by not knowing how things will display or work in the PC world.

Frank, you're AWESOME! One more thing, it looks like the table column for the text has a fixed width also. That's making the text sort of "scrunch" up into several lines like a spreadsheet cell which is too thin.

Thanks for all the hard work. I'm not nitpicking, I really am trying to help.

balddave
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
would just like to point out that on #124, the calculator is showing 666, maybe frank is trying to say something...

but i agree with all very useful information and site there, thanks a bunch

BadDog
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I posted this on Chaski, but figured I would put it here too since my initial response was here...

I would just change line 37 from

<table border=0 align="left" cellpadding=5 cellspacing=0 style='border-collapse: collapse;table-layout:fixed'>
to

<table border=0 align="left" cellpadding=5 cellspacing=0>

You don't need the style stuff for this page...

mlucek
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Frank,

I found your site a couple of years ago and keep going back to it to find out how you do things so well ! Really liked your "how-to" about repairing a tuning peg assembly.

So, KUDO'S to putting all your tips together. HUGE help for a newbie like myself !!

I just read #109 about threading a nut on a screw before cutting/grinding it down. Must have been fate cause I used that exact trick 2 weeks ago while grinding down a small screw to size :)

THANKS !!

Mike

hornluv
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Frank,

I've been going through them all and the link to number 097 is faulty. You've got the end of the url as 097.097 instead of 097.html. When I changed it, it brought it up fine. Once again, great site!

Stuart

hornluv
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Also, clicking the link for #146 brings you to #147

Michael Moore
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Frank, your sock/handle tip is for when the handles are slippery. I've used that for when handles weren't slippery enough. For example, a lathe handwheel with the handle sticking out that is solidly screwed in and doesn't rotate. I find it hard to get a smooth and even turn holding on to the metal handle but if I put the sock (or a finger off an old glove) over the post it gives the same effect as having a post that rotates freely.

thanks for putting all the tips up!

cheers,
Michael

ptjw7uk
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice site,
Bet you cannot go in your workshop if you had a pace maker - all those magnets!!!
Peter

laddy
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
AttA Boy Frank!!!!!!!!

tiptop
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Frank you really do have an impressive site. I have been looking at it for quite a while off and on myself. not to steal your thread but what is your opinion of Ovations. A good friend of mine has a couple from the twenties or thirties, has had them re-nickel plated and really likes them? Keep up the good work on your site, it is inspirational.

Frank Ford
02-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I have been looking at it for quite a while off and on myself. not to steal your thread but what is your opinion of Ovations. A good friend of mine has a couple from the twenties or thirties, has had them re-nickel plated and really likes them?

?? Ovation is a bowl-back acoustic guitar first made in the mid 1960s. Do you mean "Orpheum" banjos? They date from around 1900 through the early Depression years. Nice old time instruments.

tiptop
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Frank now I am confused, not being a guitar player. I will have to call my friend and find out.

Too_Many_Tools
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
EXCELLENT site....thanks for the effort Frank...it is appreciated.

TMT

Hal
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks Frank for taking the time and effort to post all the helpful hints.

Do yoy have a counter on that site to see how many time its been viewed?

Hal

Too_Many_Tools
02-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Frank, your site has always been a must see place to go. I think for everyone on this board. Great site..

Ok, off on my tangent again.. I have been trying to push for a "Projects" sub group, to no avail :) This (Links) would be another one, and very useful IMO.. A "Links for hints and tips" sub group..

I know, I know, I know.. Folks dont like seeing a forum over run with sub groups. I agree, a forum could be over run, but on the flip side it can be under run also. And I think this forum is.

Not to be negative but I dont see any participation from the owners. No feedback or interaction. Granted, they are a business supplying us with a page to discuss our hobby, thank you very much.

But the forum needs some additional management. A way for the members to poll on specific items like "would a sub group be useful"?

I think a sub group with just links and only links to outstanding sites such as Franks would be very useful to the new member or new to the hobby beginner. Easy to find information..

NOW.. Frank, I am so sorry to infringe on your original post to express my opinion but it directly applies to you post. JRouche

I suspect that the owners of this site have decided on a handoff approach.

I thank them for that...for most part it works.

I shudder to think of this site turning into the train wreck that PM is becoming...having the moderator whine about his credit card problems should remain an unique PM trademark. ;<)

As for the sub group idea...good idea.

TMT

tiptop
02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok Frank, now that I started this, I guess I should finish. I got a hold of my friend, thank goodness, to save a little face anyway. These two guitars were made by the Dopyera brothers in the style of national steel guitars with single resonators in the 30's. Not any where close to what I thought. I just like the sound when they are played. Sorry to take up so many posts with my ignorance. Jay:)

BobC
02-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Page problem has been fixed, at least for me. Thanks, Frank.

JRouche
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I suspect that the owners of this site have decided on a handoff approach.

I thank them for that...for most part it works.

I shudder to think of this site turning into the train wreck that PM is becoming...having the moderator whine about his credit card problems should remain an unique PM trademark. ;<)

As for the sub group idea...good idea.

TMT

And I am not for the look here to change to something like the CNC Zone (which I love) which has a sub for "which nail cutter to use, cnc nail cutter that is".

And I really like the idea here where we all, new and long standing users basically run the joint. Shows you what type of membership we have here, some of the best, self regulating..

I would just like to see some of these VERY important posts be accesible with easy srcolling through some shorter postings.. This group moves so quickly that this post will be on page ten by the end of next month.

Im thinking about the newcomer that joins up and hasnt been following along. I want them to see all the great projects or good links quickly. Sure, there is the search engine but if you dont know what you are searching for then its easter egg hunting..

What about all the projects from 2005. If you didnt know Joe Green posted a great article on Die holders you may never see it..

Ill keep on keepin on. Only cause I think its worth while.. Such a wealth of knowledge has been relegated to pages fifty and beyond.. JRouche

Oh, sorry again Frank..

aostling
03-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I started to throw the empty one away, but then I thought there must be some use for this bathroom soap pump in the shop. Any suggestions? (not you, IOWOLF)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/SNC10004.jpg

BadDog
03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Im thinking about the newcomer that joins up and hasnt been following along. I want them to see all the great projects or good links quickly. Sure, there is the search engine but if you dont know what you are searching for then its easter egg hunting..

What about all the projects from 2005. If you didnt know Joe Green posted a great article on Die holders you may never see it..

You could do what I did in a forum I moderate. I created a "sticky" and locked it. "Great" threads got links (with short summary) added to the sticky as a post. No new forum, but an index of "great posts". Gotta lock it though, or folks will start adding any random junk including useless noise like "Yeah, that's a great one!". If the readership things something should be added, they can email/pm the "owner" of the thread (the moderator) with proposed threads. No harder on the moderator than having to move threads to a locked forum, and no extra forum issues.

Joel
03-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Ironically, similar ideas have been proposed many times in the past - but I guess y'all never saw them. :D

BadDog
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Actually, I've proposed that before...

dp
03-01-2008, 03:05 PM
It is interesting what comes out of Frank's list when it's sorted by title. There's several categories of things that leap out.

b2u44
03-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Frank,

Congrats on the 10-year anniversary. Your website has been a priceless source of information and inspiration throughout the years. Thank you for maintaining the site and sharing your knowledge.

--Ben

JRouche
03-01-2008, 08:37 PM
You could do what I did in a forum I moderate. I created a "sticky" and locked it. "Great" threads got links (with short summary) added to the sticky as a post. No new forum, but an index of "great posts". Gotta lock it though, or folks will start adding any random junk including useless noise like "Yeah, that's a great one!".

Exactly!! Would be sooo nice to have a couple locked sub groups. I wouldnt expect the owners to have to be responsible for the task though. They are pretty busy. But we do have moderators here? No? John S. is one I believe.. JRouche

JRouche
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Ironically, similar ideas have been proposed many times in the past - but I guess y'all never saw them. :D

Yep, its an ongoing issue. And just because its been overlooked before doesnt mean there still isnt room for improvement. Its not a dead horse yet, just a lil lame :) JRouche

Joel
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I have suggested in the past that we simply use the little used Networking forum for this purpose. Perhaps we could get by with just a sticky stating something to this effect:

Please post only helpful tips, hints, important links, etc. Leave idle banter and unnecessary chatter elsewhere so the information contained here can be quickly and efficiently sorted and utilized. Make sure the title clearly describes the information contained in the thread. If some portion of the information is found to be in error, please edit your post and correct the information.

And while I am at it, thanks Frank for posting your site, and big thank you for your outstanding contribution to this forum.