PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best turnkey plasma table?

carlquib
02-27-2008, 01:53 AM
I have a bunch of parts to burn and was thinking this would be a great excuse to get a plasma/oxy cnc machine. Who makes the best bang for the buck cnc plasma table. There could be some assembly involved but I don't have time to build one from the ground up. I was going to just make guides again and do it by hand but then I started thinking about what a great excuse I have to get a new toy, er tool. I have looked at the torchmate system, plasmacam, and several others but don't know enough about the different systems to intelligently pick a machine.

-brian

macona
02-27-2008, 02:21 AM
I would say Hypertherm or Esab. Both very good systems. I prefer the Hypertherm Plasma power sources though.

carlquib
02-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks Macona, I didn't know that hypertherm made cnc plasma table systems. I have a hypertherm power source so I am interested in a reasonably priced (mostly hobby use with occasional small production runs) cnc plasma table. Preferably something that can handle an oxy/acetylene set up too. Like I stated in my original post I would like something that is mostly turnkey. I just don't have time to do a ground up assembly. If I am going to do this I need to get it running by the middle of March.

-brian

carlquib
02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Anyone else have an opinion on a plasma table?

macona
02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Hypertherm bought Centricut and now brands them with their name. In fact I went to work on a cutting table at BPA today that had a Centricut control.

Look for a used machine at an auction or the like. New I think is going to be a bit spendy. OK, really spendy. Thats why people make their own. A basic low end Esab control is about $13000 if I remember correctly.

Another option is to find a shape tracing (bug eye) burner and retrofit it to CNC control. There are a lot of companies out there still using optical tracers. Those aint cheap either. A refurbed tracer head is about $4000.

Mark Hockett
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Torchmate makes a good system, http://www.torchmate.com/. My friend has one and has been making a living with it for a while, http://www.deluxeiron.com/ , Check out his gallery.

torker
02-28-2008, 12:08 AM
I've been looking into a CNC dual table also. The ready made ones are pretty pricey.
I'm still reading etc in my spare time (HAHAHAHAHA) so I can take a stab at building my own.

jacampb2
02-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a friend who has had a plasmacam table for about 6-8 years. He has had 0 issues with it, and recouped his investment in the table and plasma cutter inside a year, and he only does the plasma work in hsi spare time. I am pretty sure he told me it was around $10K with the Hypertherm Powermax 1000.

He has burned several parts for me off my cad drawings, and they have all been spot on.

Later,
Jason

carlquib
02-28-2008, 01:53 AM
I will have to give plasmacam a closer look. I have read mostly good stuff about them. The only bad is that is is all proprietary so you are tied to their stuff. The price sounds right though, and quite a few people report a lot of hours running with no problems.

-brian