PDA

View Full Version : OT AVG vs. Avast

rws
02-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I've been using the free AVG at home. So far, I haven't had any problems, that I know of!

In talking to a fellow at work, he tells me Avast is a more detailed program, has much more virus definitions, and is also free.

Anyone have any experience with Avast?

Thanks.

lazlo
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I recently tried both AVG and Avast!, and they're not quite up to the standard of the purchased anti-virus software.

I was using McAfee Corporate (which I get legally from work) -- it's a completely different product than the retail version, but it still takes a lot of resources to run.

I'm currently trying Avast!, but both Avast! and AVG have terrible (amateurish) interfaces. Avast!, for example, has a male voice that announces each time it updates the virus templates. Setting up default search directories is done with a weird check-box interface, and with the default setting, everything is turned off. More importantly, I'm getting a lot of false positives with Avast!, especially on the email scanner. The other annoying thing is that the free version of Avast! doesn't let you schedule scans, so you have to remember to manually scan your machine.

AVG allows you to schedule scans, but they put the daily virus updates on an intentionally slow server (to you have pay to get the "fast" server).

AVG seems to have a lower detection rate than Avast! on most reviews I've seen, but Avast! has a higher false positive rate.

On the positive side, they're both fast and take a lot less resources that the purchased virus scanning software.

daryl bane
02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been using Avast for about 4 yrs now, and have not had any problems. I also use Mozilla which doesn't hurt either. I go to some pretty iffy sites :), and haven't picked up anything , so I guess its doing its job.

SGW
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I gave up on Norton a couple of weeks ago (my subscription expired) and started using AVG free. I have no complaints, at all. Updates may be on a "slow" server but it seems plenty fast enough to me. If it's a problem....schedule the update to happen automatically at 2am or something. It took me a little while to get the e-mail scanning to work correctly, but the help forum and FAQ on the AVG website got me going without too much difficulty.

No experience with Avast! though, I'm afraid.

ckelloug
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I recommend f-prot from iceland as it gets consistently good review in the Virus Bulletin Tests which cannot be said for Norton and some of the other consumer grade AV software. It's inexpensive, and the license allows you to use it on all your personal computers. A long time ago, it was one of the only mainstream antivrus programs to get rid of the monkey virus which had infested the computer lab when I was in college. Only wierdness about is that they charge your credit card in the monetary denomination of icelandic kronauer.

They also have a free dos version which you can download in a pinch to clean up a machine when "friends" ask for help.

Regards all,

Cameron

Lew Hartswick
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I've been using AVG free for a couple years now with automatic
updates at 0900, or when ever I turn on the computer after that,
and it only takes several seconds most of the time. Ocassionally
there will be a large download that takes maybe a minute. I have
DSL with about a 1meg rate. I've never picked up any viri but then
I don't habituate the kind of place that they mostly come from. :-)
...lew...

rws
02-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I appreciate the replys. I had Norton before the AVG, and it all but choked my PC. What do they have in that program that slows down the PC so much? No problems of that kind with AVG, I was just wondering if Avast would give better protection, but since I'm doing OK so far, maybe I'll just stay with AVG.

Tim S
02-28-2008, 08:16 AM
I have AVG on my computer and just installed Avast on my wife's. I like both maybe Avast better due to the slow update AVG does everyday. It's not near as slow as my computer is when running on Norton. I don't understand why it's so bloated ether.

You can turn the voice on Avast off. I think I used the help function to find where.