PDA

View Full Version : noobs follow rest

dockrat
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
One of the first things I had to make for my asian import lathe was a follow rest as it didn't come with one. It was a pretty intense thing for me as I was (and still am) a total newbie when it came to machining. Read a bunch of books on technique and did a lot of paper layout first then decided to tackle it. Got a couple of 1/2" chunks of mild steel and started making chips. I first turned out a 5"OD circle then bored out the center to 3" ID. for the main body. For the base I used a piece of one inch keystock and then bored out another piece of plate to 5"ID and then cut it to fit between the body and the base. This was one of two critical cuts as it had to be cut to just the right hight to make the center of the body center with the axis of the spindle.
The next critical cuts where in the body circle so as to mount the adjustable plungers so they would line up dead center on the spindle axis also. To do this I installed an 8"x 1/16 Zip cut off blade in my compound miter saw, lined up the cuts. clamped it down, said "here goes nothing" and made the 3 cuts.
The plungers and plunger adjustment screws were petty straight forward except I didnt have a mill at that time and had to make up something to cut the grooves in the plungers (more on that later) Anyhow when all was said and done it turned out pretty good. Ok lets see if I have this photobucket thing figured out

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/followrest2Small.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/followrest3Small.jpg

BTW excuse the welding..first time with my new mig that I had to buy to put it together. I'm getting better now

This is the setup I made to do the milling before I got my real mill. Again excuse the welding. It aint pretty but it works

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP0372Small.jpg

One thing this project taught me was that your always making tools for your tools

Ernie
Ashcroft British Columbia

ptjw7uk
02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats a job well done.
So you have learnt the first lesson in machining - you never have enough tools.
I've found that just to make one tool I need another not that I'm moaning as I just love making and using tools.
Only thing I'm not keen on is the high cost of materials.
I now look around boot sales just for things I can cut up and use the materials. Only wish I had the space for a furnace then I could melt some bits and use em.

Peter

Mcgyver
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
you've done a good job, nice work. I've had to stop so many times to make tooling. Now I'm now making tooling to make the tooling; and it completely escapes what i originally set out to do.

dockrat
02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Peter and yes on the material thing. I wont tell you how many old bedframes I have brought back from the dump just to cut up the angle iron to make rolling tables for my table and mitre saws etc. and the guys at all the scrap yards know me by name :D

pntrbl
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm a noob too and I'd be real proud of that.

SP

BadDog
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Looks very nice, excellent job for all appearance!

torker
02-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Ernie..My Brother from the Motherland (BC) :D.
Nice looking stuff you're building there.
Um...the welding... PM me and I can help you out with that.
Pop over to Cranbrook for coffee in the morning and I'll give ya some free weldin lessons :D
Russ

Fasttrack
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice job! With the welding, make sure you've got sufficient argon flow, clean material and try pushing the gun instead of pulling it. You'll get a little better penetration and a less porous weld. Those were the first few things that came to mind.

Edit - i just saw torker's post ... talk with him ... he's a pro welder!!

lazlo
02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Um...the welding... PM me and I can help you out with that.

LOL! That's the nicest criticism I'm seen here in a long time! :)

By the way Ernie, if you put .... around the image link, you can put the pictures inline in your post.
Or even easier: you can click in the "IMG Link" box on Photobucket, and it will automagically copy the picture link into your cut buffer, and then you can just paste it in your post.

Nice job on the follow rest! Take Torker up on his offer -- he's an artist... ;)

oddball racing
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Don't be put of by peoples thoughts on your welds. Nobody here poked fun! I often tell beginner welders not to worry how pleasant their welds look but to seek quality penetration first. Appearance always gets better with practice. I have seen more good "looking" beginer welds fail than I've seen the ugly. Beginners seeking looks often sacrafice stregnth through poor penetration.
Judging from the rest of you project, I don't think you will have any problem with your learning curve. Nice work.

Forrest Addy
02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice piece of work. I'm glad you included the details of developing the concept (paper layouts etc) and refining the task to suit your skills and resources. It's almost a textbook case in how to make stuff starting from not much.

If you double your accompleisments as you double your experience you'll leave the rest of us far behind.

torker
02-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Don't be put of by peoples thoughts on your welds. Nobody here poked fun! I often tell beginner welders not to worry how pleasant their welds look but to seek quality penetration first. Appearance always gets better with practice. I have seen more good "looking" beginer welds fail than I've seen the ugly. Beginners seeking looks often sacrafice stregnth through poor penetration.
Judging from the rest of you project, I don't think you will have any problem with your learning curve. Nice work.
Oddball. Welcome here. I'm hopin that wasn't pointed at me. When I see some tooling (or whatever) that is subject to high stresses I ALWAYS offer to help out the maker if I can. Someone could get hurt or a good piece could be ruined because of a failed weld.
I don't really agree that an ugly weld is tolerable. Plain and simple...an ugly weld is a poor weld. There is seldom a BS factor allowed. The ones that concern me the most are the hobby guys with their lil' 110V machines. I can weld fine with them and i'm sure you can...but they can't. They are begineers.
I was taught to weld by absolute Nazi instructors. Every weld you did had to be perfect or you didn't move along in the program. I've seen guys (and gurls) stuck on the same weld for a month before they got it.
I've also seen literally thousands of welds fail destructive testing. A few where even mine :D
I stand my ground but will help anyone out that I can. I do this on several other BS'ss that I spend time on. Oh...yippee...I'm a hero :D (thought i'd throw that in before anyone else did ;D )
Russ

Fasttrack
02-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Yep ... Torker is spot on, as usuall. I'm certainly no pro like he is, but i've been paid to do some welding in the past so i'm not a complete failure ;)

Anyhow, ugly welds tend to be the result of bad penetration. But yeah, dockrat has done a nice job and i'm sure he'll be a great welder in no time. And if he's not ... well thats ok too. I've seen some great machinists who never did get the hang of mig welding. Not meant to make anyone feel bad about their work ... if it works, it works!

p.s. i've made welds like that before...;)

p.p.s after another look, i've made welds much worse than that :D

torker
02-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Fastrack...At one time I made a LOT of welds like that :D
Then the Nazis got me...yeesh! (reminds me how much I wanted to kill those bastids and eat their kids and make their mom eat yellow snow) I really really did not like them guys. Course I did later...

abn
02-28-2008, 03:20 AM
Very nice and useful project...well done.

laddy
02-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Looks like a store bought follower rest. Great work! Fred

Fasttrack
02-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Yep ... good point Torker! I wish i could i say i started off as a perfect welder but that was definitely not the case! :D

Are those brass points threaded on or brazed on?

dockrat
02-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Yep ... good point Torker! I wish i could i say i started off as a perfect welder but that was definitely not the case! :D

Are those brass points threaded on or brazed on?

threaded...1/4x20 right thru the length of the finger..the points on one end and the adjustment screw into the top end. had to grind the shaft of the tap to poke her right on thru

Fasttrack
02-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Nice! That'll make it easy to replace if you ever wear 'em out :D

oddball racing
02-29-2008, 09:22 PM
p.s. i've made welds like that before...;)

p.p.s after another look, i've made welds much worse than that :D

I second that.:)

Spin Doctor
03-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Nice follow rest. Pat your self on the back. Now the other shoe is gonna drop. As a you are a newbie I promise I won't yell too loud. BUT NEVER, EVER USE AN END MILL IN A LATHE CHUCK! If must use an end mill in the lathe spindle it really needs to be held in a collet. Your lathe has a #4 morse taper in the spindle. At least pick up a couple of the common sizes from one of the online tool stores or the ones advertised in the trade magazines. Either that or get a piece of #4 morse taper tooling (a drill with a #4 taper off of ebay would work, the shanks aren't hardened) and make an adaptor to use R8 collets that will fit the spindle. Mount the morse taper part in the spindle for finish machinging to ensure concentricity. Doing it this way will bring the tooling closer into the bearing plane on the front of the spindle increasing tool rigidity. One potential problem though with running end mills in a lathe spindles morse taper is there is no retaining key or pin for the collet. If the collet spins it can screw up the taper. Plus doing small work in a lathe it really benefits from using collets. Your lathe (a BVB-25) has that goofy DIN style chuck mounting system where the chuck is held on with screws from the back side. I know this because I have one in the basement. It is actually similiar to the original Emco chuck mounting system on the Compact 8x14 that the 9x20s are based on. Mine I plan on bypassing the chuck issue by making a new spindle with angular contact bearings and internal 5C collets. Eventually.

dockrat
03-01-2008, 12:59 PM
SpinDoctor Quote BUT NEVER, EVER USE AN END MILL IN A LATHE CHUCK!

Thankew!! :) I'm such a newbie and mostly learning by my F/Up's and whatever I can read. Thats why I am so happy to have found this forum. I made that milling attachment just so I could cut the 1/4 inch grooves in the fingers of the follow rest. I now have a proper mill so that little tool will never be used again. It was kinda fun making that milling attachment tho just so I could make something else with it. My wife says I spend most of my time making "tools for my tools"

tattoomike68
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Never mind the endmill in a chuck deal. It works fine if you go easy and its all you have. Collets suck too. there is nothing to stop it from sucking out of the collet. Thats why people use endmill holders.

Nice looking follower rest..

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/followrest2Small.jpg

Spin Doctor
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I didn't mean to be rough on you but I thought better I said something than have you possibly mess up a chuck. Maybe something like this might help. Drew it up fast in CAD. Anybody that wants to use it feel free. Just don't get mad at me if things go south.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/markandannie/R8Morse4Adaptor.png

dockrat
03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Spin Doctor
I had no feeling of being roughed up at all..There is so much collective knowledge in this forum and any imput is greatly appreciated. I could drive you all nuts with the questions I need to ask. Anyhow as I said...I now have no need to use and endmill in the lathe however that drawing will sure be a help when I attempt to make an over the top ball turner using my R8 boring head. Thankew.:)

Alistair Hosie
03-01-2008, 02:26 PM
is a noob a newbie or new member I am just guessing keep me right guys I could never stand your American patter:DAlistair p s speak Scottish lads

dockrat
03-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Alistair you said in another thread "well I did pay seventeen and six for a licence "

And you expect us to understand THAT?? :D