PDA

View Full Version : Lathe gear Completed!!



viking
02-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I finished my gear in Nylatron and it was both a very good learning exercise and the powerfeed on my lathe is back in service. I will make a phenolic gear when I can round up some flat stock.

I was very happy with my results for it being my first try at gear making.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/chiliviking/DSCN2730.jpg

When I installed it on my lathe it operates smoothly without any vibration or excessive noise.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/chiliviking/DSCN2731.jpg

torker
02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice job there mister! Darn I miss making gears! I can't wait to get my ol' horizontal back in the shop and cuttin some more of my 33 1/2 tooth gears :D

HSS
02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Good lookin' job, Viking. Did you use an involute cutter and if so which one? I am attempting to rebuild a gearbox for a horizontal band saw, but have to make some tooling before I can really get started.
How is the nylatron to work with? Is it stringy like most nylon and teflon?
Patrick

rockrat
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Nice job. Now you can make all sorts of gears for your lathe (within the dp of the cutter of course).

Better than the $500 & sumthin that the other place wanted huh?!?!?
Nice job.
rock-

viking
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes I used a 16 DP Number 4 involute gear cutter. It was about $25 from MSC. Yes Nylatron is stringy and gummy to work with. The biggest problem I had was drilling it to get a hole large enough to use a boring bar to open the center hole up to size to press in the brass bushing. It will sieze on a drill bit real quick as I was warned by experts on the site so I was'nt suprised when it happened.

Carld
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Very nice job Viking. Why can't you make them out of metal?

HSS
02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I turned a bushing to adapt a Minn Kota trolling motor to a Motor Guide bow mount and used some stuff called Poly Plus II. It wasn't gummy but is sure was stringy. Had to stop quite often to remoce strings as they would wind up around the work and all ovet the chuck. Had to use a knife to remove the swarf. This stuff is very highly abrasion resistant.
Patrick

tattoomike68
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
nice work, that one should last a good long while.

lazlo
02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Holy crap Viking -- that was fast! Looks great!

Ho did you get the Nylatron so fast? Did you buy it locally?

Evan
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM
That should work just fine. Looks good. I would still make the gear from phenolic, as you plan.

2ManyHobbies
02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Very nice job Viking. Why can't you make them out of metal?

A weaker gear works like a fuse in the power train. You blow out a cheap and easier to replace part compared to splitting a casting or killing a spindle.

Nice fix, and good work!

Evan
02-27-2008, 11:22 PM
To drill large diameter holes in plastics as prep for boring, especially nylatron, use an ordinary spade bit meant for wood. It won't seize and makes a nice clean hole.

This was cored with a spade bit.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/nylahole.jpg

darryl
02-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Ditto on the spade bits. They can be used to make a pretty good sized hole in aluminum as well. I had no problem drilling out a 3/4 inch hole in some 6061 on the lathe. Started with a pilot hole just a bit smaller than the large part of the tip on the spade bit.

quadrod
02-28-2008, 07:19 AM
along with the spade bits, i found that a hole saw works very well too, for shallow cuts

tiptop
02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Nice looking gear viking. It would have taken me the three or four day's just to figure out which end was up. Glad to see your lathe is up and running again. Jay