PDA

View Full Version : Listen up all you new noobies!!!!

torker
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
WOW! There's a bunch of you guys all of a sudden! I think it's great!
Now I'm not the only dummass here :D
It's funny... can't remember who it was...but a noob...his first post...he claimed to be a long time lurker but had decided to post.
I learned something from his first post. That was kinda cool.
We got Peter and Ernie...new guys from BC..Holy smoke..are we a gang now :D
Anyway... I see you pop up in the odd post but it'd be cool if you all would let loose a little blurb here about what you do, what you'd like to accomplish etc.
Of course I'd also want you all to at least send (by PM) me your banking info, house/street #'s etc. All the new guys who come here do that :D
Welcome fellow wannabee machinist type guys!
I have to go out to the shop now but expect a lot of PM's when I get back ;D
Russ
(Pssst..Don't ask ALL the questions please. I have to get way more posts to catch Evan)

rockrat
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Indeed. Post something that you have done recently. It does not matter what it is. Just post it an tell us how you did it. And dont be afraid to admit if there were mistakes (or un-expected design enhancements), I do. :D Besides if something didnt work out, ask. We can give you ideas for next time.

I would venture to say that the suggestions here have always made my work better.

Welcome and Cheers!~

rock-

HSS
02-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi guys,
I'm a real noob. My first time to use a lathe was one job, as in one repair, in 2000 and haven't touched one since, until last November when I bought a Smithy Granite 1324. I am a commercial refrigeration tech and have been doing that for the last 35 years. I plan to slow down some in about 8 years and in that length of time maybe I can improve my machining skills. Right now I am working on a hushpuppy shooter for a friend and a gearbox rebuild for a bandsaw for another friend. The gear box is a real challange as it is metric and the worm wheel is completely worn down and I can't get a blank measurment. I'll be asking questions as they crop up, so I hope I don't ask really "stoopid" questions.
Patrick

2ManyHobbies
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm outfitting a 3-in-1 with lathe tooling. Most of what I do is electronics, computers, or woodwork, all of this is new to me. ;)

I mainly make chips until there isn't any usable stock left and then sweep up. I've made the odd nylon spacer or friction pin, but so far most of my "useful" work is replacing disposable parts on wood working equipment.

Oldbrock
02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Don't put yourself down. There are two dummass things I can think of. One, thinking we would all give you our bank and credit card info.:D and trying to wrestle a rear end out of a pile, How's the back? Liked your mod on the band saw, going to copy your idea if it's ok. Just been browsing PM and I feel more at home here. I'm a newbe here but have been machining for 60 years, give or take, and I think I can help once in a while.Started in Flint, N Wales. I still get new ideas from this site and enjoy the virtual company. Could pop in to see you on the way to Alberta sometime. TAKE IT EASY. ;) Peter

JohnWFoster
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I am a noob and a lurker. I am also an armchair machinist who has read tons of books, is generally fascinated with all trades woodworking, woodcarving, woodturning, welding, blacksmithing and machining. I have a Logan 200 that I putter on , with no high degree of expertise. My youngest daughter is going into high school next year, so I am counting the years until I don't have to work 55 hour weeks, and can devote more time to my creative hobbies. I am totally fascinated with Victorian engineering and modelling of the same, someday I would like to get into doing some model building. I am in Ontario, Canada; and an ultra liberal politically, socially and theologically (yes some of us ulta liberals actually work long hard hours); being in a rural area and a member of a conservative church I am very out of step with my neighbours and don't really care. I visit this board daily and find it very educational and entertaining; thanks to all the regular posters and site maintainers.

mwechtal
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, I have a Sherline Lathe with many accessories and including the milling column. I also have an Atlas 9" lathe with wear in the ways and the tailstock casting. So, that's a long term project. Yes, I know it's not a heavy duty machine, but it's nearly identical to the one my uncle used to have. So, it's what I wanted.

I've made quite a few simple things on the Sherline - bushings - jigs - 4" flanges for a 6" X 0.010" diamond blade. The flanges just cleared the bed when I cut octagonal plates and then filed the corners off. I've recently been making some pens and duck calls, and the Sherline works surprisingly well for wood turning. The little sucker will do just about anything a manual lathe will do, as long as you limit the size of your parts.

Mike

oldtiffie
02-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Excellent idea Torker.

Not all new posters are new members and not all new members are new to machining.

I expect that some have been members for quite while and have been hesitant to post lest they "look silly" either in their own eyes or the eyes of others. That is unlikely to happen now, and if it happens just say that you disagree.

There are plenty here that will see that you get a fair go.

I'd think too that some new members and posters have very extensive machining experience but are a bit inexperienced in either posting either by responding or contributing within a thread or perhaps creating a new thread for a new topic. There is plenty of help here.

Others may have difficulty in posting an image from a digital camera or scanner (they are called "pics" here). It is easily mastered and you will get lots of help here.

We are all equal here - from day one - no "ifs" and no "buts" about it.

We all make mistakes on the forum and get "pulled up" for it. I can vouch for that!! But it is all meant in the right spirit, so take it in the spirit in which it is intended.

This forum is as much a tool and source of reference as any other tool or book or link in your shop and are to be used as such. It is a great resource.

The biggest and best resource of this forum is its members - great people who will help in any way they can.

And the new member or new poster is one of them and is very welcome.

mochinist
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
they are called "pics" here

lmao

oldtiffie
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
OK.

They are referred to as "pics" by some on this forum.

Mcgyver
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Way to go Russ! I nominate you as chairman of the member ship drive committee :D seriously though, its good of you to encourage people to speak up and I hope more do so; makes it a better place with more activity.

Forrest Addy
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I gotta deliver an ass-kick here. There's no shame in being a "noob". You don't have to hang back like mice waiting for crumbs to fall from the table of loftier beings.

I was a noob once, We all were. People took us under their wings and fed us the stuff we needed to know then when ready to fly we were kicked from the nest - and not gently either. Enough metaphor. This is how craft and trade knowledge is perpetuated and propagated: from older hand to younger.

I strongly urge you noobs and lurkers to take as active a part in machine shop message boards (this isn't the only one) as you feel comfortable. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that stuff.

If your questions start simplistic they won't be that way forever. You will learn. Some more experience people may snap at you but there are grouches everywhere. Be patient and persistant. The only thing that stands between you and successful projects is fear of seeming foolish.

dockrat
02-27-2008, 10:58 PM
total newbie both to here and to machining. I spent my last 30 years running an electric mining shovel. the kind you will see in open pit mines or the tar sands.
Its just been in the last 3 years that I have owned a lathe and 1 year for a milling machine. I retired last year so have lots of time to play at this now but mostly in the winter. In summer its mostly sailboats and motorcycles but I love being able to make bits and pieces for the boat and the bike myself. I get a kick out of finding a piece of scrap and seeing something in it then cutting away all the bits that dont look like what I see. I also make a lot of "Tools For My Tools" as the better half keeps saying :D Also make a lot of decorative candle holders and oil lamps. Keeps the Xmas present bill down.
Stuff like this

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/cndscrw3_1Small.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/oil_lamps2Small.jpg

Its been a real learning experience for me and sure fills in my time over the winters now that I have retired

Ernie
Ashcroft Brtish columbia

38_Cal
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
New to the list, have been a gunsmith for the last thirty or so years, twenty of them with the toy company down the street, where I designed quite a few tools that are still in production today, and a few that haven't hit the catalog yet. Oh, well...

My shop is transitioning from a warm weather hobby shop to a year round (hopefully!) paying business. I have a 6" Atlas and an 11x24" Rockwell for lathes, just got an Enco 10x54" mill that I'm hoping to have running in a couple of months. Have to build/insulate some walls in the garage, and get the wiring done for an rpc that was ordered this week. I'll have a separate dirt room for the Baldor buffer, belt sanders and grinder, and hopefully soon, a sandblast cabinet. Main shop will have the lathes, mill, desk and workbench. It'll be cozy, but should work ok.

I can see that I'll be picking your collective brains a lot as I go along with this endeavor...All viewpoints gratefully listened to!

David
Montezuma, IA
I may be a know it all, but I don't know it all!

tony ennis
02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Ok, I'll bite. (http://tony-stormcrow.blogspot.com/)

torker
02-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Tony...quit monkeyin around...you aint a noobie round here no more :D
Good to see you all post up!
Peter..if you want I could send you all the part numbers for Princess Auto to get those bits. They are pretty reasonable.
Russ

tony ennis
02-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Until that damned lathe makes a chip, I'm a newb.

I did acquire a breaker box, breakers, Romex, plugs, boxes, etc last weekend. Pretty soon the shop area will be wired!

torker
02-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Tony...you CAN crank them lathes with a big pipe wrench on the rear of the spindle you know. Makes for slow turning but you'd make chips. Ahh geez...now the purists will flame me :D

Forrest Addy
02-28-2008, 12:23 AM
If Tony was pure he'd run that lathe with an overhead lineshaft driven by a stationary steam engine.

oldtiffie
02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Tony...you CAN crank them lathes with a big pipe wrench on the rear of the spindle you know. Makes for slow turning but you'd make chips. Ahh geez...now the purists will flame me :D

You are pretty close to the truth "Torker"/Russ.

As lazlo pointed out in another recent thread, one of the problems with many "Chinese" lathes - mine included - is that the lowest speed is too high sometimes for form-tooling and large or multi-start threads. My lowest speed is 110 RPM. I'd like it to be say 55 or 15 RPM at times.

I sometimes just leave the half-nuts engaged and rotate the headstock either by grabbing to chuck or with a crank on the outer/back end of the head-stock spindle.

It sure does cut out the "slip", "dig-in" and "chatter" - especially with larger threads on tough material. The chips just peel off beautifully.

I can get down to as slow as I like - better than a back-gear, but I sure as he*l wouldn't want to do it too often.

The "purists" can say what they like - but it works.

As needs must.

torker
02-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Tiffie...the hand crank idea...I like! My 14X40 goes down to 70 rpm. That's not slow enough as you say. I sorta miss my ol SB9...I think low end was 36 rpm with the setup I had.
There's a little oufit here that builds miniture locos and such. One of the machinsts does the most beautifull small ..and i mean small...brass fittings etc. The threads are so small I can barely see them. He does all this by spinning the chuck by hand.

IOWOLF
02-28-2008, 06:19 AM
And don't forget to fill out your info. area.

Or just where you are from, In general if you must, Just do it.

Your Old Dog
02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Torker, I'm not so sure this is a good idea to encourage all these noob's? You know what this is going to do to the cost of used and new machines once these guys find out what they are missing out on?

Forrest, yea, you were once a noob like I was once a Pope. Dumb-me-knows per Biscayne :D

Evan
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Here a little something to help all the newbies get adjusted to the forum. :D:D;)

http://www3.telus.net/metalshopborealis/Posting.swf

camdigger
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Russ
As to hand cranking lathes... IIRC the Sherline threading set up is all about hand cranking. Also there was an article in our sponsoring mag a few years ago (10?) by one of the more respected contributors of the day (Frank Maclean???)that included a hand crank (of about 12"? length) for his roughly 1440 sized lathe.
Cam

strider
02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah, another noobie, to this anyway. I've also been a 'lurker' and finally am posting. I've learned and relearned a lot from you guys, and I'm sure other lurkers have also. Good forum, in spite of the heavy preponderance of kooks and eccentrics:) - just kidding. Can't post any projects yet as I just finished tyhe lathe bench construction and managed to shoe horn the thing into the garage.

HSS
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Evan, for the link. I will post as suggested in the link so as no to offend or confuse.
Patrick

Kurt Loup
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I recently joined the forum after buying the below South Bend 9" Jr. the week before Christmas as a Christmas/birthday present to myself. I've always wanted a lathe to suppliment some of my other hobbies- woodworking, canoe and kayak building and bamboo fly rod making. Buying a lathe and refurbing it without actually knowing how to operate one may seem crazy to some, but it hasn't stopped me before. I've played around with it a bit on some aluminum using the tooling that came with the lathe. However, I decided to invest in a quick change tool post and the appropriate tooling for it since I didn't have much tooling with the lathe. Any reason I shouldn't turn the tool post nut on my lathe rather than having it machined retaining the original shape? Good thing I didn't pay that much for the lathe, because I have spent more on tools and accessories. My worst fear is buying all the stuff for the lathe to find out something is wrong with it that can't be fixed. Surprisingly, I didn't have any surprises during disasembly and cleaning. I did discover that the jaws on the 3 jaw chuck I purchased on ebay are worn in the front. I'll have to try grinding them flat as discussed on a recent thread in the 3rd hand section.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/before2-600x451.jpg

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/refinished-600x394.jpg

tony ennis
02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
That's a nice refurb you did there. I don't want to haul mine back upstairs and outside for painting, so it's going to stay crappy looking for the foreseeable future.

Forrest Addy
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I used to make a lot of oddball camera lens fittings in aluminum; delicate easily squashed rings with threads at each end. The threads are fine (1mm pitch or so,) very short (three or four threads from engagement to shouldered,) and have a small relief. You could cut them in 4 or 5 passes.

It was as easy and less nerve wracking to spin the chuck by hand to cut these threads and reverse back.

dilligaf
02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I have been a member here for a while but yet still a complete noobie.I have many many projects i want to do but have only done a few. I as well as many others have learned alot from everyone here(including the other noobs). I will try to get pics of some of my work so you can see just how new i am.

Jason

dockrat
02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
We will all be Noobs untill we get the "clumsy Bastid" thing from Sir John :D

mjm3xs
02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
yeah ok,i'm new to posting here and have been reading a lot of posts, theres alot of good advice here and i think i'll keep this as my favorite site. been a machinist now for a few years but the hobby of metalworking is what grabbed me. i bought a sherline mill,emco unimat 3,rockford lathe,and now just aquired a benchmaster mill.no pics yet have'nt picked it up.been doing alot of woodworking past 5yrs.all an all i think there is a lot of great people on this forum and also encourage more to post.oh yeah forgot to mention i'm wor1king on the snow engine, i have gotten a sfar as making the pedestals and the cylinders and sleeves.

mwechtal
02-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Russ
As to hand cranking lathes... IIRC the Sherline threading set up is all about hand cranking. Cam
That's absolutely correct. You actually have to remove the motor to set up the change gears and attach the crank.
Mike

oldtiffie
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Oops.

Further to my previous post on this matter, I neglected to say that I put the geared-head head-stock into "neutral".

This was/is to both avoid "back-driving" the gear-box and motor and thus lightening the load/effort, but also to ensure that the spindle did not start if the motor was inadvertently started.

tigmusky
02-28-2008, 09:58 PM
the NFG /noobie . I bought logan 920 lathe and us burke/millrite vert mill a few months ago off craigslist for no reason other then I allways wanted mill and lathe. I guess I felt I needed another hobby. hunting( duck,deer,elk) fishing(musky,walleye,pike)shooting trap, reloading ,archery , dog training, welding ,bluilding a street rod, genral repair for everyone that i know(free) home remodeler for me and everyone else also(free). That's wasn't enough for me so I bought a mill and lathe , more stuff i can do for free. I'am starting to feel a need for a old tactor to restore,a dirt track racecar to race a bluild from the ground up. what things can you make with a surface grinder.. I may need one...Someday I will learn how not to make blue chips and chatter marks. Great site!! daye

BUY HIGH SELL LOW

Dragons_fire
02-29-2008, 11:02 AM
im still somewhat of a newbie here too. im from calgary and work for the phone company here. i picked up a import 10x18 lathe about 2 years ago, then just got a rf-30 mill about 3 months ago. if you take a look at http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/dragons_fire_photo/ there is some pics of some projects ive done. theres also a pic of my finger after a fight with a 1/2" endmill...

Duffy
02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Although I have posted before, I am sure a newby! I am a retired engineer of various sorts and live in Gatineau, (across the river from Ottawa.) I bought a Logan 820 about four years ago. It had surely "bin rode hard and put away wet," since it was built in 1946! It came with the seller's best wishes, an apron full of swarf instead of oil, and a motor full of swarf. Knowing no better, I took it apart and replaced most of the bushings after carrying the bits down to the basement. Some time later I found Logan Actuator and bought a parts manual and cross- and compound-feed nuts. Only yesterday I learned that I had assembled the feed control backwards, but the lathe is pretty stupid and doesnt know. I acquired an Atlas 7B and repaired it and built a power hacksaw. Proof that I was working in isolation, I painted my lathe RED and my shaper the WRONG shade of grey with RED moving parts! It is doubtful whether anyone in those two groups will talk to me. I am a reasonably competent woodworker an built a pretty faithful interpretation of a Gerstner machinist's tool chest. Again I was working in isolation so I used a fairly exotic African wood, (that I had brought home from another story.) I finished it only to find out that the company was celebrating its centenary with, you guessed it, exotic wood "limited edition" chests. they were selling these for about three grand a pop-I nearly died! Last spring I answered an add in HSM and bought eight steam engine casting sets as a lot. I am still working on the first, (simplest,) as I get sidetracked to build a hydraulic press, (8-ton,) and assist a grandson to build a model steam crane, and to compete a coke-fired crucible furnace so that I can try my hand at casting, (aluminum first, then gunmetal, and eventually iron.) I sure enjoy this forum especially you Russ, and Evan's odd little thoughts on everything.
IF IT LOOKS RIGHT, IT PROBABLY IS RIGHT--THE COROLLARY ALSO APPLIES

IOWOLF
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Russ, I can't believe you started this.:)

Well you have done it, You put a Quarter in a couple of our Newbies , One has started 4 new Boring threads.No pun intended.

Start out slow guys , Don't try to overwhelm us or win us over.

jstaff
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
From another one:
I just found this group and I like it a lot. I'm school trained, degreed in Machining Technology, with almost two full hours of practical experience. When I retired from the Army I wanted something to do so I went to school nights for about 3 years, got a two year degree, and took a job as a truck driver. Go figure. I plan to retire in the fall of this year and then I want to make a bunch of curly little chips. Don't have much in the way of machines, and a very small shop, but there's not much better than standing in a pile of chips, sipping a cool one and admiring a bolt I just machined the head off of. So far that's about all I've actually made but pretty soon I'll be able to spend more time and hopefully convince my wife that I didn't waste all that money. Everyone here seems very pleasant and willing to help, and I will be a regular lurking member. Already I have had some good advice and help with my first question.

If you're in NC, stop by anytime and share a story and homebrew.
Jerry

tiptop
02-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Well folks I am definetly a newbie also. I have been a member for about a year and been collecting and playing with my machines for about a year and a half. The last six months or so I have been busy working on the last room of a whole house remodel so I have not been machine much. When I get done with that I have a couple of horizontal mills, an old G&E shaper, three camel back drill press', and a T&C grinder I have been building, that all need serious attention. But I don't expect to be done on the house till the middle of next summer. I will be keeping an eye on you all though during this time. If you are into wood working at all visit my photobucket site, under the catagory of library and enjoy. Here is a link. :)
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/jaytiptop/Library/

hmcl281
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
new member here just trying to learn how to use my milling machine better. i mainly machine paintball markers, mainly autococker. just a good forum i came upon searching for milling info.

clint
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm a "Noobie" as well, just getting my feet wet and soaking up as much info as my little brain can. I have always been fascinated with machine work, and at the age of 32 I decided it was time to see if I could make some of the things I always said " if I had a lathe I could make that"

I purchased a Logan lathe ( didn't have a quick change gear box)to begin with, it was not in the best shape, however it was better than the chinese mini lathes I thought, I owned that lathe about a week. I was looking around and ran into a Clausing 4912 in great shape, so I picked it up for little more than the chinese mini lathes... (not not trashing the mini lathes, just what I wanted for myself)and off I go into learning how much it cost to tool up a lathe just to get started!! With about a year under my belt I have learned some things for sure, I make some bolt handles for Ruger 10-22's, mag releases etc. I hit a learning curve face first being I was working with Titanium 6AL-4V, and knurling it to boot. I have a good friend however that has helped so much when I get stuck, in over my head, or my brain is racked out from over use. I also have learned that I will not just throw this hobby down, I have picked up a few hobbies and tried them, liked them but just not something I wanted to keep doing, tinkering around on a lathe is one that will stay with me for sure. Another hobby that is very expensive is anodizing, I done that for some time, however to compete with the commercial guys is something I could never come close to, and the work you get is the stuff the commercial guys would not touch, or substrates that did not give a good finish... etc

A few of my projects
My 10-22 mag with Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel had a compensator which I do not care for, I replaced with a end cap and made a recessed fake muzzle crown. I didn't have any stainless on hand, so made it from Titanium 6AL-4V
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/rclint/10-22mag003.jpg

Couple pics of the bolt handles I make
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/rclint/10-22tianiumbolthandle033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/rclint/10-22tianiumbolthandle016.jpg

Patch
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Hwody fkols,

Tihs is my frsit psot heer and I tkihns it is a pttery good stie.
I hvae been lkoiong at it qiote aihwle.
Aywnyas, jsut syiang hlleo.

For the ploepe taht wnat to get bnet out of sahpe baucese of my
siepllng, I say tkae yuor bset soht. I mkae to mcuh mneoy to let you
behtor my snsees. For all ohrtes prheaps I will be of smoe aisstsnae.

If I solhud see somenoe pttunig dwon ahtneor pseron for akisng a
smilpe qsituoen the watrh of my bnieg wlil flal uopn you.

I mkae ciphs of mtael and wood. Wkerod bteter tahn 15 yreas for a
mifauancrutnig cnamopy, got liad off, tehn srated my own cnamopy
bliundig cosutm hemos. Lfie has been garet.

Ayawnys, ncie to be hree. :D

Patch

hornluv
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Hwody fkols,

Tihs is my frsit psot heer and I tkihns it is a pttery good stie.
I hvae been lkoiong at it qiote aihwle.
Aywnyas, jsut syiang hlleo.

For the ploepe taht wnat to get bnet out of sahpe baucese of my
siepllng, I say tkae yuor bset soht. I mkae to mcuh mneoy to let you
behtor my snsees. For all ohrtes prheaps I will be of smoe aisstsnae....

Good Lord, I hope that's a joke. I read a little blurb about a year ago that said as long as the first and last letters are in the right place and the correct letters of a word are jumbled around in the middle, a paragraph is perfectly readable.

For those of you who are looking to gain experience on your machines, don't discount your local community college. Most of them will have at least a few machining courses (most likely labeled "Industrial Technology" or "Manufacturing Technology") and generally speaking, the cost isn't all that much. I've been taking them at my local school and tuition and the lab fee (pays for the stock) came out to only $191.00 per class. It's worth every penny too. There's only so much you can learn by reading about something on a forum or in books. Neither one is truly a substitution for actually seeing it done and having experienced individuals to bounce ideas off of. Plus I get to make whatever I want in the schools very well equipped shop.

CINCI585
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Another newb here . I've twisted wrenches and fabricated steel most of this misbegotten life. Always wanted to learn the art and skill of machining.

I work for an old line asphalt paving company (founded 1945) in Atlanta. I repair all the rolling stock, pavers. rollers. loaders, trucks, even a bulldozer or two. In addition I maintain the asphalt plant (1973 model!!).

As you might imagine they've accumulated a LOT of machinery over the years.
Last December while poking around in the bone yard I found an old trailer covered with weeds and vines. Being a curious type i pried open doors. In the dark recesses were:

1. Kearney & Trecker Model K #3 Vertical mill (1942 with War finish tag)
2. Kearney & Trecker Model 2B Horizontal mill (1918-20 vintage)
3. Bradford 18x50 Conehead lathe (early 1920's vintage)
4. Hendy 15" shaper
6. boxes of misc. cutters, arbors, etc.

Much to the amusement of my co-workers, i drug this old iron into the shop and started started tinkering. Old Iron Disease claims another victim. So far i have the horizontal mill, the bradford lathe and the shaper all running. That 9000 lb Model K vertical mill is sitting there just daring me to try and fix it!! (grin) One intimidating beast.

These machines were bought at auction by my boss's father (the founder of the company) stored away and forgotten. The boss has given me the okay to set up a small machine shop to replace the one that burned to the ground before i came here. How cool is that?

The Bradford lathe is a restoration project, sooo we picked up a nice Carrol & Jamison 16x50 Gearhead Lathe. Nice machine.

I stumbled into maching, literally and figuratively. It's a steep learning curve but I'm loving every minute of it. This forum and others like it have been an invaluble resource.

Lee

J. Randall
03-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Patch, that kind of spelling won't bother me a bit, because I will just skip it, as I suspect most people will.
James

torker
03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Patch...yer a pretty funny guy...this time ;D

slugger
03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I haven't posted here before- have been on PM for about 4 years. I retired last year from a Police Dept where, among other things, I was an armorer and firearms instructor. My main interests are in guns but I am pretty much all over anything that is a tool- especially if it makes metal chips!

I have a Hauser Jig borer, and a few miscellaneous belt grinders, buffers, grinders, welders and a very small lathe- that I have no idea what it is.

I had a Frejoth 13x40 until about 8 months ago which I sold so that I wouldn't have to move it with the rest of my stuff. I am building a new house which has an extra garage that I am making my shop. Once I get the house done, I will buy a new (or possibly used) lathe and start doing stuff again.

I mostly use the jig borer for making knife parts. I have been making knives for about 10 years. I mostly used the lathe for repair work. The chucks were in bad shape and runnout was horrendous so I didn't do any gunsmith work with that lathe-

I hope all that will change when I get the next one (I am looking at a 16x40 size to get the spindle hole I want)

Dennis

Oldbrock
03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey Patch, that's quite a talent you have there, pretty tough to misspell every word. You must have read the university study about first and last letter. If you speed read it, it makes perfect sense. Welcome to the group, just joined in Dec last. I think you will annoy too many if you do it again though. You have quite a lot of experience so pitch in and help the noobys. Peter

ProGunOne
03-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Good Lord, I hope that's a joke

I think somebody is trying to rouse the spelling police? :eek: :D

Patch
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Great posts by everyone and I feel I have received a very warm welcome.

My jumbled post was deliberate. In a sense I was testing the water. A new forum to me is no different then say a business meaning when presenting yourself or product to a group of people you've never met. The first passing moments after a leric has been said you learn much to the responses of people and thus able to capitalize the mood and final direction you wish to persue.
So be it here.

Once again, it will to great to be here.

Patch

(are there really spelling police here?);)

oldtiffie
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Great posts by everyone and I feel I have received a very warm welcome.

My jumbled post was deliberate. In a sense I was testing the water. A new forum to me is no different then say a business meaning when presenting yourself or product to a group of people you've never met. The first passing moments after a leric has been said you learn much to the responses of people and thus able to capitalize the mood and final direction you wish to persue.
So be it here.

Once again, it will to great to be here.

Patch

Welcome Patch.

Sure are - they spit and growl (grumble a lot too) but don't (can't??) bite and unlike any other cop, they can't put you away for a spell either. We just poke sticks at 'em in their cage/s.

Might have a few thought police too when "Asian/Chinese" machines are mentioned - but let 'em growl - they are pretty harmless too - and they eventually settle down.

IOWOLF
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I hope you don't go into a meeting speaking Nonsense.
You would look like an even Bigger Idiot.

-------------------------

Spelling Police.

Patch
03-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I hope you don't go into a meeting speaking Nonsense.
You would look like an even Bigger Idiot.

-------------------------

Spelling Police.

Believe it or not my friend, I find your post amusing.

Please tell me, I hope you put as your signature "Spelling Police" at the bottom of your posts for my sake alone.:p

IOWOLF
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I really don't care How you find my Post.:mad:

See you around.:rolleyes:

J. Randall
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Welcome Patch, in case you have not figured it out yet Iowolf is what I would term our resident troll, for lack of a more fitting term. Although possessing knowledge that could be helpful, he would rather insult old and new alike apparently just to get a reaction.
James

Patch
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
I will not add insult to your injury.

I offer you my handshake and say, It's good to meet you IOWOLF.

Patch:)

oldtiffie
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome Patch, in case you have not figured it out yet Iowolf is what I would term our resident troll, for lack of a more fitting term. Although possessing knowledge that could be helpful, he would rather insult old and new alike apparently just to get a reaction.
James

Wolfie is our resident Inspector General al la Danny Kaye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inspector_General_%28film%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041509/plotsummary

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041509/

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=inspector+general&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

torker
03-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Bump.. I think we haven't flushed them all out yet.. :D

torker
03-11-2008, 02:09 AM
What I thought...it's midnight...there's 5 noobies on here as I nod off...all with 0 posts.
Get with the program guys. This offer could be pulled at anytime :D

IOWOLF
03-11-2008, 06:25 AM
We have had enough Noobies for a bit, Russ.

Geez, If I have to read another Stupid question.....;)

keyman2005
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
ok iam a newbie to moden day lathes and mills, my first job was at the work bench in a Locksmiths, we had a myford lathe and a Formoco piller drill, that was our total machine collection, even our key cutting machine's were hand driven,and all the keys were hand finished.....my job...and were inspected by the boss :eek: Its now 30+ years on and iam still a locksmith, now iam relearning lathe and milling work for todays market and getting involved in lock design. That why sites like this are so inportant to us newbies and for the flow of information that we do not have.....Keyman 30yrs+ locksmith in the uk.:)

kmccubbin
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I've posted a few times, but never introduced myself. I'm a hobbyist, been learning with a 10" Logan for several years. Recently bought (stole) a Clausing 12 x 36 for which I'm saving money to tool up. Got a good deal on a 9x42 Enco mill a couple years ago, still on the steep end of the learning curve on that one. Also have a 7" shaper which I've yet to see make a chip, and a shiny new red TIG welder which is much more capable than I am. I'm fortunate enough to be employed at an R&D firm where I have access to many experienced minds. I check this BBS several times daily to see what I can learn and enjoy the humor. I got into machining to feed my automotive habit. So far, my crowning achievement in machining is a set of threaded coil-over spring perches, nicely anodized. So far I've invested about 10k and saved about 500. Am I doing it right?

Kerry

Forrest Addy
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I was a noob years ago - machine shop wise. I'm still a noob in a couple subjects I'm working on. Noob is an early stage on the path leading to knowledge and competence.

It aint a disease. We're all noobs at different things in life. It's fun for us old experts to watch as the noobs make progress. There's many rewards in life and sharing knowledge is among the finest of these.

torker
09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
So far I've invested about 10k and saved about 500. Am I doing it right?

Kerry
Welcome! Ya...you sound like you're on the right track. The next step...invest $20,000 and save $600...once you get there you know you're doin good :D
Russ

lane
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Torker needs a new name. Call him the Pied Pipper. Calling all newbies.
Don`t be asking for a new lathe and mill now Torker you may get it.

doctor demo
09-05-2008, 12:26 AM
I gotta deliver an ass-kick here. There's no shame in being a "noob". You don't have to hang back like mice waiting for crumbs to fall from the table of loftier beings.

I was a noob once, We all were.

Forrest, when You were a noob the computer was an abacus.:D .
Name, address,bank info witheld

Alguy
09-05-2008, 01:53 AM
I have been at this a little while and will always feel like a noob , I have not made any chips all summer. Been busy doing other things current project is house painting (arrrgh) an old 2 story , its all done except the porches (3) floor. Hopefully as the leaves fall i will be back in the shop ( actually a corner in the basement)
Nice to see wolfie and to thank him for quck answers to a couple questions i have posted in the past.
Someone asked me what i make with my lathe and mill ,,,, my reply was to repair a couple parts made a couple parts for friends, by by far most of my time is spent making (often making good metal in to scrap) tools for my tools . :rolleyes:

Greg Parent
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I have been a member for awhile now but only recently got my own lathe. I had access to a machine shop up until my father retired. With his retirement I became tool challenged. Lurking on this site gives me my metal working fix so to speak.
The first project on my "new to me" lathe was a high visibility follower for a Winchester pump action shotgun. I made it out of white nylon and sold it to a guy on a Canadian based firearms forum. I must admit it was quite the thrill making money from something that brings me so much pleasure.

This site is a great source of information for the newbie and the not so new.

bond77
09-05-2008, 03:54 PM
It's funny... can't remember who it was...but a noob...his first post...he claimed to be a long time lurker but had decided to post.
I learned something from his first post. That was kinda cool.

Not to be completely self-centered, but that kind of fits me doesn't it... :)
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=26702&highlight=steady+rest

Well, what should I say... Still farming... still repairing machinery... still building a bunch of thingamajigs for the farm/shop. I mainly post on the swedish machineforum www.masknisten.net For that reason I don't spend that much time here... :eek: I have made a little list on projects I have presented on the site, here: http://www.maskinisten.net/viewtopic.php?t=1422 There are plenty of pictures! The current project is a gantry crane for the shop.;)

hoof
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Well, Sort of new here, Joined about a year ago. Been doing the collecting stuff thing. Finally picked up the basics, 10" Rockwell lathe, 8250 Clausing mill and a 6x12 surface grinder. Been looking at them waiting to be inspired to make something from time to time and not much has hit me yet. Mostly I have been keeping an old beat-up MF255 tractor running. Funny thing is I'm not quite sure why I needed that. Worked about 20 years in paper mills as an electrician and just got a job in a manufacturing facility with 1100 plus machine tools. It fun to see how they really make chips. Not anything like I expected. CNC equipment every where and it all does single operations with form tools. I never would of guessed I would see ATC's that could hold 40 tools and they would all be the same tool for the same operation. Industry amaze's me from time to time.

Hoof

Davidhcnc
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Time to say hello from UK.

I find places like this to be valuable resources. Always finding advice for my latest project. Many a relaxing hour spent absorbing

Closely watching this thread and hope to give it a rattle

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=30139

Here's a recent project on my retrofitted cnc mill, caseback key for a vintage watch

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hull35/CNC/caseback%20key2.JPG
...and another, the stamp for a makers mark.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hull35/CNC/flax%20stamp1.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hull35/CNC/flax%20stamp.JPG

Looking forward to contributing and learning

BFN David

milwright
09-08-2008, 11:04 PM
well maybe i was the lurker /new poster was hoping for some help felt i was kind of ridiculed but know that some of the postings were from experiance hope to post more and learn more ...right on for bc members...