PDA

View Full Version : Build an air tool rack...

BobWarfield
02-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Here's a quick and easy project if you have a bit of angle iron laying around and a 5/16" end mill to cut slots with:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Workshop/P1010284.JPG

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Workshop/P1010285.JPG

They hang real nice by the quick disconnect coupler. I used to have 'em all in a draw full of junk. Now they're right handy by the air hose. Grab, connect, and go!

Cheers,

BW

HSS
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Great idea! I got some stainless angle laying around, just might build me one of those for my wife.

Oldbrock
02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Great, I'll have me one on the wall tomorrow, thanks, Peter

BadDog
02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Yea! Another idea to steal!

BobC
02-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Don't have too many air tools but a great idea. Thanks.

mechanicalmagic
02-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Nice idea.

But, in my shop I'd fill them with dust and chips.
So, I will need a chip guard.

Thanks for the idea.
Dave

Your Old Dog
02-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Great idea Bob! Think I'll look for a short piece of angle aluminum. Don't want to have a lot of slots to feel compelled to fill :D

PTSideshow
02-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Very nice indeed, and chip/dust cover shouldn't be a problem:D

Luke55
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I will made one too. Its a good reason to buy some more air tools

pcarpenter
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Its very simple and yet so handy so long as you park it somewher where you don't bump into your air tools and knock them out of their grooves. Those fittings don't seal well after they have been dinged. My problem is that I have almost my entire shop lined with stuff around the walls (machines, welding hood, cabinets etc), making it hard to find a place to hang something like this that is still reasonably accessible.

Speaking of messing up the fittings, is that aluminum angle? The reason I ask is that the face of the air fitting that rubs on the groove in the holder is the one responsible for the seal if I recall correctly. You wouldn't want to scratch it up.

Paul

BobWarfield
02-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Speaking of messing up the fittings, is that aluminum angle? The reason I ask is that the face of the air fitting that rubs on the groove in the holder is the one responsible for the seal if I recall correctly. You wouldn't want to scratch it up.

Paul

There's little cause for worry there. All but 3 of the tools are cheap HF knock offs. All the couplers are cheap. Nothing seals well anyway!

LOL,

BW

PS I did take some time with a file on each slot to make sure it was smooth and burr free.

A couple things I want to add:

- A little shelf for air tool oil. Be nice to put a drop or two when I grab a tool first thing in the day.

- I want some kind of arrangement to tie all the chuck heys and wrenches to a string that is attached to the rack. They're forever getting lost and searched for. They seem to be like socks. Nobody knows where they all go, but they frequently go missing and are not heard from again!

- Some sort of cover above the couplers would be nice to keep chips out.

- Should've painted it red, but didn't have any paint on hand!

Alguy
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Good Idea Bob. I noticed your media blast cabinet , I believe i have an identical one that i use glass bead in , mine seems to leak around the seams on the bottom of the hopper, have you had same problem?

Dragons_fire
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
im picturing aluminum square tubing, with the 5/16 slot in the bottom and a 1/2" slot in the side so it would cover the ends from dust and chips. then maybe an elastic (or something) that needs to be lifted to pull the tools out, then they couldnt be accidentally knocked off.

kendall
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Paul

Actually, That's the spot that the detent balls press against to hold it in place. The seal itself rides right around the end near the hole.

For my air line, I keep about 150 feet on a garden hose reel, the hose passes through the hub on the reel. After trying out a few different purpose designed swivel fittings, I settled on a regular 3/8 coupler.

The coupler lets the hose swivel and provides a good seal. Only real maintenance issue is that roughly every year, depending on use, I have to change the male end. I haven't had to change the female end in approximately 9 years. I use a dab of silicone grease on the seal area, the wear is right on the underside of the 'ring' he's using to capture the fitting on the rack

The purpose designed swivel fittings would start hissing when feeding hose after about six months, and constantly hiss after a year, so I looked for alternates. Decided to try the coupler when I noticed that two coupled short hoses don't snarl up like one long hose does.

Ken.

dragracer
02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
To keep tools from falling or getting knocked out, simply bend the edge up at some angle. This will keep them in place until you need to use them.
:)

pcarpenter
02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
To keep tools from falling or getting knocked out, simply bend the edge up at some angle. This will keep them in place until you need to use them.

Yeah....if I owned a press break several feet wide and capable of bending the last 3/8 or so of the edge of a piece of steel 1/4 inch thick, a guy would be all set :D

regarding the cheap couplers...I got so tired of listening to air tools hiss and wasting wear and tear on the compressor through un-needed cycling that I started buying brand name couplers even for my HF tools. It may seem a bit silly to put a $2 coupler on an air drill I bought for $9, but its a lot less annoying.

Paul

miker
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
:)

or put a spacer on each bottom wall fastener to tilt the whole rack.

Oldbrock
02-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Before you cut the slots, counterbore half way through with a drill the major dia of the fitting. better still, drill the counter bore first then the small hole, no chance of the larger drill grabbing and going all the way through. Should be less chance of tools falling off. Could use a keeper bar across the whole lot too. Peter;)

Ed ke6bnl
02-29-2008, 03:51 AM
wouldn't work for me, every tool end will have been filled with wasp mud dobbers. the fill every thing I have with what ever they fill them with including the exhaust on my motorcyle..

Mcgyver
02-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Yeah....if I owned a press break several feet wide and capable of bending the last 3/8 or so of the edge of a piece of steel 1/4 inch thick, a guy would be all set

you don't need a big brake, just a torch and hammer....a little ding on end of each slot would create a small detent...working carefully it could be neatly done. I made my file rack to the same idea, piece of angle iron with a bunch of slots. the files occasionally rock/walk of the rack - the slightest of barriers would stop this. angling it slightly is also a good idea, the 'shelf' part of mine is just wide enough for the file handle so i can't really bend up the corners of the slot.

BobWarfield
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
wouldn't work for me, every tool end will have been filled with wasp mud dobbers. the fill every thing I have with what ever they fill them with including the exhaust on my motorcyle..

Ed, you're not getting out to the shop often enough, fella. I'm hearing the crickets chirp and seeing the tumbleweeds roll through!

Must be heck cranking up the lathe only to have an angry swarm issue forth from the spindle bore...

Cheers,

BW

Ed ke6bnl
02-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Ed, you're not getting out to the shop often enough, fella. I'm hearing the crickets chirp and seeing the tumbleweeds roll through!

Must be heck cranking up the lathe only to have an angry swarm issue forth from the spindle bore...

Cheers,

BW

I work in the shop daily for fun and hobby, the mill and lathe are in a water tight cargo container that is free of rats mice and even the those pesty wasps. I does seem hard to believe and the guy at work who never does anything and live a few miles away doesn't have the same problem. I went to wire up a camper shell for my dodge and left overs from the wasp were in the spiral rap I was going to use to cover the wires. .I guess I am the only one with this problem so it is a non issue.

by the way I do like the idea of the hanging air tool holder sorry to get off topic Ed

rmuell01
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I like the idea. My garage is my workshop, and in the spring-summer, I leave the doors open, thus the need for some security. I will build a swinging gate the same size as the rack so I can clamp all the tools together and put a lock on it. small security item, but enough to keep the pesky fingers from the quick run and grab. which is what happened to my bass and effect amp heads.http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Rob