PDA

View Full Version : Insert

gr8life
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
I have a face mill that takes TPGB-2.521 inserts. Bought it on fleabay and it is one I really like, problem is I have tried everyone from Enco to some of the online sellers on fleabay NG. My question is really two. #1 does anyone have any suggestions for a seller I have missed? #2 Any suggestions for a similar replacement? I can use a larger radius, might even make smoother finishes, don't really understand what a change in rake would do and can not change the size.
thanks in advance for any help

torker
02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I kind of wrestle with that with my cutter that requires TPG inserts. It's just hard to find them here and if I run out..
What I found...corner radius isn't a huge deal. I've used several now. They are TPG inserts so they don't last long anyway.
I've used thinner ones than it's supposed to take and they work fine. Could use thicker ones also if that's all I found.
Russ

ahidley
02-28-2008, 08:28 AM
http://www.carbidedepot.com/DynamicLanding.aspx?CategoryID=3

pcarpenter
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I presume what you are trying to find are the inserts.

TPG's in general are one of the most common inserts out there and that's one of the reasons you can buy the cheap inserts for just over a buck a piece. the presence of that particular hole design (the B in the designation) may be a bit of a limiting factor. The metric sizing (2.521) will also make it less common than the most common fractional designations like 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" I.C.

Enco seems to mostly carry some really common stuff plus some others that happen to fit specialty mills etc. they sell.

You will find that (at a higher cost due to the US make and because they are just more expensive), that Travers, MSC and other big industrial suppliers with larger inventories should carry them.

You should also find one of the charts (in most of the catalogs) with the breakdown of the insert number designations. Often you will find that some other designation will also work. One of the letters describes the hole type and its countersink. If your clamping screw does not require this countersink, for example or maybe you don't even need the hole....you open a lot of other opportunities. TPU inserts are TPG inserts with a different tolerance...another area that may not be critical.

Paul

JCHannum
02-28-2008, 12:19 PM
You did not mention the manufacturer of the face mill. That may be your only source.

Many manufacturers produce tooling that takes proprietary inserts that are only available through them. They will not be inexpensive. There are also loads of tooling that used the flavor of the day insert that is no longer available at any cost.

For those reasons, I caution anyone buying insert tooling to check on the availability of inserts before investing in the tool.

You might find a work around, or not.

BobWarfield
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Are you sure you want 2.521 and not 25.21?

There are a number of TPGB 25.21 inserts for sale on eBay right this minute. It's a very common insert. Just search "TPGB" and scan for one you like.

If it was me, I would also look for TCMT inserts. These are the triangular version of high positive rake CCMT. I have a vague recollection they'll fit TPGB, but I could be wrong. If they do fit, they may very well make a nicer cut. You seem them on boring bars a lot.

Cheers,

BW

ptjw7uk
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Those TPGB insserts must be heavy looked theme up on flea bay and the chap wanted $78 postage to UK
Peter

dockrat
02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh my Gawd Peter !!! Thats a rip off!
I just scored 3 boxes of DCGX from France and the guy only charged me 6 Euros ($9.00) to ship to the west coast of canada

Ernie