PDA

View Full Version : Storage Rack for QC Tool Holders, Ideas?

Paul Alciatore
02-28-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm looking for an idea for a storage rack for my QC tool holders. My holders my design and are about twice the size of the commercial ones. I have a nice big hole in the middle for a peg so attachment is no problem, but where do I put the rack. My lathe table is small and just about as long as the machine so no extra length. I already have drawers below and shelves and a draw section in the rear taking up all the space it can. I would like storage for at least a dozen holders within arm's reach while operating the lathe. All I can think of is a vertical column with a rotating section (perhaps a 4X4 with pegs) or a rack hanging from the ceiling (with pegboard perhaps). No room for a roll-around.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Pictures would be great.

macona
02-28-2008, 02:49 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/DSC03247.jpg

Doc Nickel
02-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Three pieces of 1/8" by 1/2" flatbar, bent, tacked, drilled and countersunk. Took me about five minutes per bar.

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/racks.jpg

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/racked.jpg

Doc.

IOWOLF
02-28-2008, 05:57 AM
This was gone over about a week ago.

NickH
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Over a week ago or about a week ago, you can't have it both ways, and where'd it go? :D

Paul Alciatore
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/DSC03247.jpg

Wow! There's an idea. And I was afraid to use the words "lazy Susan".

I like the flat bar thing, but don't have any wall space either or I would have already installed pegboard.

Sorry, I must have missed the discussion a week ago. What was the subject?

sch
02-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Long thread on CDCO tool holders 2/23, scroll down to page 4 et seq
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27435&page=5&highlight=CDCO+tool+holder

Carld
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Hmm, I like the idea of hanging them on the angle iron but won't that damage the ground surface on the dovetail? I wonder if I could coat it with something like rubber or brass shim sheets.

I have been thinking about a rack for the holders for a while now and I like the angle iron idea.

Scishopguy
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Hmm, I like the idea of hanging them on the angle iron but won't that damage the ground surface on the dovetail? I wonder if I could coat it with something like rubber or brass shim sheets.

I have been thinking about a rack for the holders for a while now and I like the angle iron idea.

Carl...You could get a can of that plastic tool dip, like they use on handles of pliers, and paint it on the bars. The stuff is pretty thick and clings pretty well but you would still have to rotate it to keep it from bunching up. Should work just fine.

pcarpenter
02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Carl-- I would think something as simple (and hillbilly:D ) as duct tape over the bar would keep from scarring up the ground internal surface.

I may make some of these, but will probably mount them to their own board and mount that to the wall since they often have cutting fluid and swarf all over them.

paul

IOWOLF
02-28-2008, 11:50 AM

What are you doing throwing them from across the room?

hang them like a normal person and no dings, Ding Dong.

BadDog
02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Carl-- I would think something as simple (and hillbilly:D ) as duct tape over the bar would keep from scarring up the ground internal surface.
Door edge guard/moulding, or split hose and rubber cement. Or use aluminum flat (or angle) bar.

Doc Nickel
02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
I've been hanging mine on the bare, mild steel racks for upwards of four years now, of near-constant use. The blocks are about half and half factory Phase II and shopmade from 1018, and at best, there's some light scuffing where they contact the racks.

At this rate, I figure in ten years, the wear might be measurable, if I have a good Last Word. :D

If you're worried about it, make the rack from aluminum strip, or just lay a couple of strips of black electrical tape across the top edge.

But considering nobody worries about the wear due to contact with the wedge, piston or post dovetails- which are greater thanks to clamping forces- I don't see why contact with a steel rack edge would be any kind of a problem.

Doc.

jim davies
02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I got a piece of galvanized steel, about 2 inches by 24, bent the top 3/4 inch
of the 2 inches out about 30 degrees or so, and screwed it to the wall. Works great...ASCII below

/
/
|
|
|
|
|

BadDog
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I've been hanging mine on the bare, mild steel racks for upwards of four years now, of near-constant use. The blocks are about half and half factory Phase II and shopmade from 1018, and at best, there's some light scuffing where they contact the racks.
Speaking of which, my R8 tooling has been in a steel rack for something like 1.5 years now. Some of it in and out regularly, but by no means as often as tool holders. Still, I was noticing just recently that even the most used are showing no signs of marking from the dimple-die'd 18ga rack. When I first built it, I got dire warnings from several about how it was going to ruin my tooling, so I periodically hear those warnings echo in my head and checkf or any signs. Nada...

Doc Nickel
02-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Yep. I noted the same thing over at the college.

I've been using their 5C setup on a 15" Colchester for the past couple of weeks, and all their 5C's for the two closer-fitted machines are stored in a single rack. Typical sheetmetal rack with a 6 x 5 grid of holes- not bellmouthed holes, or rolled rim holes, just punched, deburred a little, and cushioned by a layer of paint that's been gone from the edge for over fifteen years now.

Again, this is a college machine shop, been there for over 25 years. Now, I can't say how long that 5C rack has been there, but I do know that the MT5 (or MT7) to 5C Royal nose adapters are showing wear marks where the three collet split lines are.

But the collets themselves, despite being taken in and out of that sheetmetal rack about three hundred thousand times each, show little or no discernable wear from the rack itself.

Doc.

Oldbrock
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Went out to the shop to make the rack for qc holders and couldn't find suitable steel or aly. I overcame everyone's objections and made mine out of a 1 1/4" strip of oak I had. Cut a 60 degree bevel on one edge and screwed it to the front of my overhead shelf. Perfect. Peter

Paul Alciatore
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I looked at the other thread. Nice ideas there but I am real short on wall space so most of them don't help me. So far the only thing that I could use is the lazy Susan idea. Or as I said, perhaps I could hang them from the ceiling.

Thanks to all anyway.

Carld
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Apparently wear is not a problem. I do like Doc's method in post #3 and if I use an alum. bar rather than steel I will feel better.

I have them in a drawer now and it's not very handy. Thanks for the info ya'll.