PDA

View Full Version : Stirling Engine for your computer

macona
02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Something kind of amusing. Northbridge chip cooler for you pc that runs off a little stirling engine.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9051/msi_employees_stirling_engine_theory/index.html

kendall
02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
now that's pretty cool, could be pretty much self regulating, faster when warm for more air, slower when its cool.

ken.

dp
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder how well it will self-start once it's collected a lot of dust bunnies as do electric fans. And how long will it run before the tick tick tickety tick noise makes you crazy :)

Even in my own data center down stairs where I keep a dust filter running continuously, enough lint gets pulled into the systems and I need to do an annual cleaning. The systems in my office need cleaning monthly, but that is the cat's fault.

kendall
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
material cut from the wife's panty hose and placed over the intakes catch most of the dust on mine, catch it with a vacuum once in a while to keep that clear and there's no problem with dust buildup inside.

Between the wife and daughter I'm kept well supplied with filter material.
if you don't have a wife/daughter, they're pretty cheap and come in a variety of colors so can be matched to the case (err, nylons that is.)

Ken.

winchman
03-01-2008, 06:03 AM
It's kinda funny how they put the logos on so they block about a third of the fins.

Roger

Evan
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
It's a silly idea. Green is "in" so they will try to cash in on that. The power it saves is infinitesimal and it certainly costs more energy to make the entire unit than a regular heatsink and fan.

JRouche
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Prolly not all that practical but very cool anyway. I love to see odd stuff adapted to not likely functions. Them dust bunnies in the computer are crazy on mine, I must shed alot LOL JRouche

interiorpainter
03-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Unless i am missing something it will be a severe case of coast and burn cousing extreme temperature differences in the cpu.
The heat to run comes from the heatsink which in turn is cooled by this liquid filled? radiator.
Unless there is at some point a magnificent equilibrium with the heat supply and the rate the cpu is working.
No problem with Vista there, even idle it is working full power:D