PDA

View Full Version : QCTP for Atlas

Rattler
03-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I've run a search on QCTP and read a lot of good info. I'm thinking I would like to use them on my Atlas 12X36 that I'm restoring.

I'm a bit confused though. Which size is appropriate for this lathe? CDCO has two listed.. one for "up to 12", and one "10" to 15".

I'm also assuming that they use the bolt and wedge setup to mount to the tool slide the same as the lantern type.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JCHannum
03-01-2008, 07:57 AM
The 12" lathe is right in between the first two sizes of tool posts, either will work. Choice will depend on a couple of things.

If you don't anticipate purchasing a larger lathe, or adding a larger machine, the smaller is better as it is cheaper and the toolholders are cheaper.

If you anticipate purchasing a lerger machine or adding an additional larger machine, the larger tool post might be a better choice as it can be transferred, or tooling shared between machines.

loose nut
03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I have one of the 10" to 15" models on my 13" lathe and I have never had any problems getting tools set to the right height so the 1" difference on your lathe shouldn't be a problem. The starting cost is a little higher on the bigger model but you can get the holders anywhere and the prices seem to be coming down, if you shop around.

Daminer
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Bought the "up to 12" set for my old Atlas 10" years ago.....When I traded up to a 12 X 36 like yours, I kept the QCTP because it fit perfectly.....

Jim

tony ennis
03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a lantern-style on mine, and one or two of the tool-bit holders. If I don't find more holders for cheeeep somewhere, I'll probably be looking at a QCTP.

Your Old Dog
03-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Tony, nothing I've brought into my shop has helped my work as much as the QC toolpost in going from the lantern style on my SB9. I'd move it to the top of the list of things you need!

barts
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Tony, nothing I've brought into my shop has helped my work as much as the QC toolpost in going from the lantern style on my SB9. I'd move it to the top of the list of things you need!

I'll second this; the Dorian I picked up at a swap meet (+ more phase-II holders) made my 10" Atlas a much nicer machine, and sped up work
considerably.

- Bart

sch
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
One other difference between the two sizes of QCTP
is that the larger one will hold 5/8" tools where the
smaller one is limited to 1/2" tools. OTOH for the
minority that buy 'cheap' name brand 1" tools and
mill dovetails in them to mount on the QCTP, the
slightly smaller dove tail of the smaller post is an
advantage.

Rattler
03-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Since I don't plan to move to a larger machine any time in the foreseeable future, I'll give the smaller one a try. One of my main concerns was making sure the tool centered correctly without a lot of shimming.

One thing that got me thinking about this is when I called Clausing with the intent of replacing my lantern toolpost. $142.00. Needless to say, I didn't purchase. I would never have dreamed it could be that expensive. Guess I'm a bit naive.

The original one I have is in pretty good shape except for the screw. If I ever restore it, I'll just buy the screw.

In the meantime, looks like QCTP for me.:)

tony ennis
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Lantern toolposts go on ebay for next to nothing. If yours is tricky it might get you through until you can acquire the QC.

This is for a 10" Atlas which is probably the same as the one used on the 12"

lantern currently $13 + $5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Craftsman-10-Lathe-Lantern-Tool-Post_W0QQitemZ320221864477QQihZ011QQcategoryZ42282 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Rattler
03-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Tony - My toolpost works and is in pretty good shape. I just figured that if they weren't too expensive I would replace it and save the original one. I've seen them also on Ebay. I needed some other parts which prompted my call to Clausing and my shock at the price. Oh well, at this time it's a moot point as I can go with the QCTP from CDCO for less than the price of the lantern replacement.

BTW, when I acquired this lathe, it was of dubious quality. However, after some deep cleaning and gentle freeing up of parts I can say that it now runs fine and has been instrumental in producing some handles that were missing.

I'm still tweaking and making sure all the little parts (ie..washers, bolts, grub screws, etc. ) are all in good shape or not missing.

It is becoming a joyful adventure. Thanks for everyone's advice.