PDA

View Full Version : craftsman horizontal bandsaw

tronica
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
i was looking at this saw today:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922612000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Band+Saws

i was wondering if anyone knew what it came with, you know does it come with blades and such.

Steve Steven
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
This looks a lot like the HF 7" X 12" saw, item 93507, $700.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93507

The HF comes with one blade, has a hydraulic downfeed which the Sears saw does not advertize, tho it looks like there is one there.

Blades are the same, comes with one blade which will need to be replaced with a good bi-metal blade at the start.

Steve

Mark Hockett
03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I think its more like this one which is a geared head not belt drive,
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=137-3195&PMPXNO=953935&PARTPG=INLMK3

Bill Pace
03-01-2008, 04:00 PM
You would be paying a steep premium for that Sears name....this saw, or ones VERY similar, are offered by several other vendors in the $7-800 range, --- as mentioned, Harbor frt, Enco, I think even Grizz is cheaper than Sears.

tronica
03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
true, just looking at all my options first. I've bought harbor freight stuff in the past, and wasn't impressed. but thanks for the info either way.

rockrat
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Looks a bit like the Jet saw that I pulled out of a scrap heap a few years back. Mine has the belt from the motor to the gear box allowing the selection of saw speed.

As for the blades, I think new you get only one. But the Harbor Freight down the way from me carries the size mine takes. How the speed is adjusted on the Craftsman I'm not sure. But if the HF has a belt change, is it worth the extra $$$ for the way the Craftsman does it?

To be honest, I would look at the HF first. I'm thinking that you may be paying a bit more just for the Craftsman / Kmart name.

Just my 2

Let us know what you come up with.

rock-

smiller6912
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
We use a Jet that size at work for cutting structural steel tubing and angles on a daily basis and they are about $700 and seam to hold up very well. The last two that we had lasted 4-5 years in an industrial environment operated by morons.
Also, they make a convertible horizontal/ vertical that I have been thinking about for home. That would give me the ability to scroll cut sheet and plate.
Hey, just my 2 cents................

torker
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Yabut...doesn't Craftsman have 1/2 price sales a couple times a year?
BTW...that is a good useful size saw.
A 4X6 will handle most home stuff but if you're cutting anything of size the 7X12 is obviously better (duh) :D

lane
03-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Just you every day Standard Chinese 7x12 cut off saw Every maker sells one They all the same just different brand names. Some may be put together a little better than others thought.

John Stevenson
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Size for given size the blades are not that much dearer but last a lot longer.

My old 6 x 4 could eat a blade in a week on production work at 7.00 whereas the big saw, 12 x 18 rectangular or 13" round uses a Lennox blade at 34 and lasts about 8 months with cutting rates 10 times that of the little 6 x 4.

Nor deriding the small saw as in it's time it was probably the most used machine I owned and when it was sold on due to lack of use / room it was still working fine.

If I even have to down size back to a hobby environment I'd buy another 6 x 4 in a heart beat.

tony ennis
03-01-2008, 08:30 PM
you may be paying a bit more just for the ... Kmart name.

Ouch! :D

The last two that we had lasted 4-5 years in an industrial environment operated by morons.

lol, I love this place.

rockrat
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Ouch! :D
you may be paying a bit more just for the ... Kmart name.

Yea, sorry, had to throw that on there. Still cant believe that the courts let Kmart go bankrupt and then buy Craftsman after the debt was removed. Oh well, such is life in the big city.

rock-