PDA

View Full Version : OT: Check out this plane trying to land in high winds

cuemaker
03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
http://boortz.com/more/video/030308_hamburg_plane.html

tattoomike68
03-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I saw that on cnn. they made it sound like the pilot is some kind of hero and saved everyones life.

I think he is an A$$hole, he damn near killed everyone. He should be fired for being stupid!

Norman Atkinson
03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
You clearly missed the best bits!

5 x20 ton containers came off a freight train- and the driver didn't hear them take off! This was the English Lake District.

We get 140 mph winds as part and parcel of Scotland!
The icicles on my native hills don't grow downwards- ours are horizontal.

Ah well? Must release the dog, it's frozen to the lampost.
Life gets tedious, don't it?

sdeering
03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Wholllley sheeeite. I wonder how many trousers were full. Looks like to one wing tip lost some material to the asphalt grinder.
Naaa we donít need more than one runway we can land in a cross wind.

Nice vid.
Stephen

aostling
03-04-2008, 02:37 PM
I saw that too, and wondered how many regulations were broken. It boggles my mind that the pilot was given clearance to land, twice, under such conditions, unless there was absolutely no alternative. If I'd been on that flight, I think it would have been my last.

dockrat
03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Check this one out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Vf-kW9Eak

sch
03-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Good bit of cleaning of the aircraft seats after that one I bet.

Two similar videos are at the google site: oops
Look on the L side of the list for A321 Cross Wind.wmv
and a little further down the column for a really scary
Boeing 747 extreme landing
B52s were designed to land in cross winds by countersteering
the landing gear.
Others have posted pix from this site before, especially the
Women live longer pix.

aboard_epsilon
03-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I see, they all seam to have some sort of tilt axle mechanism ...to counteract the plane going over on its side when hitting the runway.

all the best.markj

IOWOLF
03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Yep , old news.

No warning about the Sheers, If not a hero, then at least lucky.

Norman Atkinson
03-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Two factors and I have already informed you that the storm was hitting France, Germany and England and Scotland- and no doubt the rest of Europe because I was following that storm. There was simply no where else to go. He clipped a wing but did a circuit or two and put her down cleanly on the next attempt and enough to have very few repairs and it took off again in a day or so.

Let me assure you that I have yet to find a pilot who could land a plane on a cloud and wait for the storm to subside.

kendall
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Was thinking there was some unmentioned reason for them to be landing with such a bad crosswind.
Seemed like if it was just a scheduled stop, they'd have re-routed.

One of my favorite fishing spots was near the SF airport when I was younger, and I'd see a few planes land in what I thought of as dangerous conditions

ken.

Timleech
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Another little problem we had in the UK with the same winds:-

http://www.harwichhavenshipsandyachts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324

It took me a couple of views of all the pics to work out what had happened.

We had a big beech tree, not on our property, come down, hit the 11kV overhead lines in our garden & take out the power, now there's a few tons of logs waiting for someone with a chainsaw. That was friday night, we were off to a wedding 100 miles away next morning, my wife & daughter were in the middle of sewing & ironing preparations when the power went off. Guess who was at the wedding in trousers with one leg ironed & the other not? :rolleyes:
:D

Tim

Norman Atkinson
03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
LH44 had only come from Strauss Airport, in Munich- 70 minutes away.
It was the second pilot who was driving and no doubt, couldn't forget the 'Tritsch Tratsch polka' or was it 'Perpetuum Mobile'?

( note this is real music and not from a 2 or 3 pin plug)

Spin Doctor
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
We were landing in Covington KY one time on a little twin prop commuter plane and you could look out the side windows at the the center of the runway

lwalker
03-04-2008, 10:09 PM
But remember this is just an extreme example of what pilots are trained for. I wish I still had the URL, but I used to follow the flight test blog for one of the Boeing 777 mods and the test crew often had to leave at a moment's notice (almost literally) to rendezvous with certain weather conditions to test aircraft performance.

I was once a student private pilot and while I never encountered conditions with such a strong crosswind, my home airport was near the sea and often had very gusty winds. After a while it becomes normal and you find yourself dealing with it automatically.
Although private pilots are normally taught to slip when landing in a crosswind, my instructor had me crab in a few times and then straighten out at the last moment like this plane does and it sure ain't easy to time it right! But passengers get nervous when a airplane is sideslipping, so airliners tend to not do that.

Norman Atkinson
03-05-2008, 02:20 AM
I spent my formative years with military pilots, many of whom continue to fly in 'civvy street' upon retirement. I could continue and say that I had no option but to fly in any conditions.

Unashamedly, one does separate the people whom one can trust in a difficult situation and one's that one wouldn't. It was interesting to assess the correspondents regarding the criteria demanded of those who have the responsibilities in life and the one's who haven't.

I wonder where you place yourselves.

dp
03-05-2008, 02:38 AM
I've been obliged to land in hellacious cross winds and you can't not succeed finally - you bloom where you're planted or die. It's not like you can just toddle off to another runway and try again. At some point you have to stop flying. All runways in a geographical region are similarly aligned and you have to deal with cross winds. It's just a flying fact of life.

This one came out ok - nearly dragged a wing but he got it on the centerline initially and aligned with the centerline before being blown into the weeds. He didn't have adequate weight on wheels to keep it pointed down the runway and that is because of the gusting problem. Not at all unusual. Still, a good recovery. There's a lot of interesting air at ground level with gusting high crosswinds and these things happen.

The science of flying in such conditions guarantees every landing won't be pretty but if you're good they can be safe. All of mine were but I can recall like it was yesterday one in 1983 that was really not pretty - got slapped hard on the back with a downdraft on the at Vantage in the Columbia Gorge. It's not like you can see those coming, but it resulted in a pretty hard setdown - cleared the fence, though, and that's what counts.

If you have never flown yourself you can't know what the dynamics are.

aostling
03-05-2008, 02:53 AM
I wonder where you place yourselves.

My apologies to Ground Control.

Evan
03-05-2008, 05:25 AM
I landed my Cessna 140 at Mill Bay strip once when according to the wind sock there was a mild crosswind. It turned out to be right at the precise limit of control possible with that aircraft and the landing was made with full rudder deflection and opposite aileron. As I came to a standstill the aircraft weather vaned into the wind but stayed on the wheels. It was interesting. Much more interesting is landing float planes when the choice of direction is limited and you have wave action to deal with as well as the wind.

The off hand description of the airline pilot's job is often stated as being 1000's of hours of utter boredom puntuated by moments of sheer terror. He had his moment that time.

Wirecutter
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
This was always one of my favorites. I went to upload it on YouTube, but found that at least one person beat me to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fjW6yK1eho

Perhaps the effect is enhanced by zoom and camera angle, but in any case, this is a pretty hairy landing.

-Mark

dockrat
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM
The off hand description of the airline pilot's job is often stated as being 1000's of hours of utter boredom puntuated by moments of sheer terror. He had his moment that time.

Evan...the same has been said about sailing...been there

tony ennis
03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
There an airfield in Hong Kong Kai Tek with a terribly reputation for crazy crosswinds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI).

Here's a few random x-wind landings. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h332SJGkW0E)

Norman Atkinson
03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Tony, funny enough my Lodge was having a talk about aircraft carriers on Wednesday night and we were 'shooting the sh1t' about carrier decks, filling them with quick setting concrete and pushing guys off to get five minute swim in a sea survival rate of 4 minutes.
All went well- I'd been collecting kit bags with a walking stick and all that sort of jazz. You know the QBI boards out in the December afternoon- and a converted B-26 came in on 1026 yards over the railway embankment in the 10/10 cloud and half dark. Saw gap and an unlit- wrong airfield! Bingo and a troop of Greek kids came out to shop in London!

Fine, the port was making things hazy and Jim, armed with sword announced that he had landed a V Bomber full of 'bottled mushroom clouds' stored in the bombbays into HK airport. Time for another bottle of 'vino collapso' or four for our grizzled old farts. Somewhat shamefaced the question came back- 'You went into HK in November, Norm. Well?' I giggled from under a gravy stained bow tie 'Actually, W Master, I was fast asleep from getting on in Dubai until we landed in Honky Konky' but my wife holds the record for falling asleep- with an aqualung on. But that is quite another story!

Cheers

N

Alistair Hosie
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I would say the pilot did a good job no one was hurt and he used his wits to save lives so why is he such a bad guy I could be wrong of course i am no expert but when you think how it could have been I say he did well.Alistair

Norman Atkinson
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Alistair,
You will know as well as anyone else that the North of the British Isles has been persistently subject to high winds since Christmas. If you listened to the 10pm weather - and it's 11pm now, a further storm is heading our way. Meantime. we have had minor storms and severe gales and one of them is rocking my trees now. Further North, the A9 has been under snow in two places since early December. For those who think that Normie is away with the fairies- Google Traffic Scotland for the webcams!
What is less known is that Germany, France and Spain are also being clobbered. The Mistral is howling down the Rhone Valley and the Tramontana is hitting central Spain. Germany has had up to 155mph recorded gusts.
The guy at Hamburg doing the 'Light Fantastic' was only a modest part of a whole scenario. People with nothing more than trying to get their balls in their pockets and with a complete lack of knowledge have been joined by people who think that 'pant ****ting' is the latest craze.
I am sorry, old son, but they cried their sodden eyes out when hit by their own disasters.
Today, whether we like it or not are having have pilots who are going to have to do this like regular military pilots who go out in any sort of weather, day and night- for these so called critics.

It's bit like a car crash, these people crowd around some poor sod and haven't a constructive bit of help.

Whether I have upset their poor little miserable kives means precisely nothing to mean. 134 lives and those of the crew does. This was professionalism of the highest order.

Cheers

N

juergenwt
03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
The Copilot was flying the plane on landing. From what I understand is that pilots train for these side wind landings and they are considered routine.
What happened here is that at the last second just before touchdown the plane got hit by a strong wind gust on its starboard side. This is what pushed the plane to the left and had the wing touch the runway.
The pilot took over from the copilot, pushed the throttle forward and the plane became airborne again. Also a fairly routine maneuver and practiced again and again. He finally landed on another runway.
Still pretty scary and if the gust of wind would have been slightly higher it could have been very bad.
By the way - the copilot in control of the plane was a 24 year old woman.
I am sure she will remember this flight for a long time.
I am not a pilot. What I am telling you is what I read in the German press.
juergenwt