PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Mill

Al Messer
03-05-2008, 10:38 PM
O.K., I've got my Kelvar helmet and Flak Jacket handy so here goes: do any of you own/use a Micro-Mark Mini Mill?

Tin Falcon
03-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes have and use a micromark.
Tin

JRouche
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
O.K., I've got my Kelvar helmet and Flak Jacket handy so here goes: do any of you own/use a Micro-Mark Mini Mill?

No need for any protective gear, thats a good mill!! MM imports some of the upper end, meaning quality control, of the same mills, and lathes. JRouche

Al Messer
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Many thanks, Tin and J rouche!! The ad I've been looking at does not say what the capacity is for drilling and milling Steel. I know that a Bridgeport is bigger, heavier, etc., but alas, I do not have room to house it, so I am having to look at something smaller, and I think that as I am a hobbiest only, something this size would fit the size of my projects. Thanks again for your prompt replies.

Bruce Griffing
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Al-
This is a useful site when it comes to minimill information. I have three mills, a CNC Bridgeport, a dovetail column table top mill and a minimill. I do use the minimill frequently.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm

Al Messer
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and my head is spinning from all the info that is there. It is very helpful.

Bruce Griffing
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Al-
If space is your only constraint, I would get the slightly larger X3 machine. While I do use the mini mill, I would have a larger one if I had to have only one.
Bruce

DancingBear
03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I've got a mini-mill, mine came from Wholesale Tool but it's basically the same machine, mine lacks the metal gears and has 16TPI screws instead of 20TPI.

They're nice little machines, and there's tons of info about them on the web. The minilathe.com site is a good start, http://www.littlemachineshop.com has a bunch of links as well that will get you started, and is also a great source for parts and upgrade kits. (no affiliation save as a satisfied customer, YMMV)

Do think about size, though. I don't think the X3 was available when I got mine mini-mill (about seven years ago). The X3 is made in the same factory as the mini-mill, so I expect the quality would be similar, and the somewhat larger table and work envelope would be nice.

Walt

wierdscience
03-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I got one,not MM,but basically the same machine.I don't use the dials,just indicators for anything close.

If you get one,get one with the R-8 spindle,much cheaper to tool.

Also the first thing I did was ditch the gears,they suck period.I bought a belt drive kit from LMS and love it.Nice and quiet and the circuit breaker will trip on the mill before the belt slips.

The machines are a kit and will need some work,but they will produce useable parts.I bought mine to do things a B-port won't do easily.