X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Hockett
    • Apr 2001

shop tip

I always seem to end up with extra stock from jobs I do. The stuff usually sits around long enough for me to forget what it is. Tonight I decided to make up labels on the computer using stick on mailing labels. I think this will help solve the problem. I made labels for just about every material I use on a regular basis.

Mark Hockett
  • R W
    • Aug 2006

Good Idea.

Comment

• Ian B
      • Dec 2002

Great idea Mark,

My only problem is that I rarely know what the material is in the first place, beyond steel that rusts, steel that doesn't, brass and aluminium. Maybe I can get my scrapyard to use those labels...

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

• ptjw7uk
        • Feb 2006

Good idea.
        Lets hope you can find the labels next time!!!
        Peter
        I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

• pigpen60
          • Oct 2006

colored tape works too but all i have is grey(duct) and black(electrical) pigpen

Comment

• Forrest Addy
            • Oct 2002

My known material is marked with a vibra tool. My small amount of mystery metal is stored out of doors in a couple of bins, never in my shop. Periodically I haul it to the recycler.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
              • Dec 2004

What the hell's the fun in that? I like to mix it up. Find it makes a better machinist out of me by trying to guess by color, sheen and depth of bite marks I have to say I like the colored tape methode as it allows you to spot it anywhere in the shop.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• NickH
                • Feb 2007

I use paint markers on the ends, that's what manufacturers and suppliers use so I follow their codes where possible so offcuts & new stock tally,
                Nick

Comment

• sconisbee
                  • Aug 2006

I get alot of my stuff coming through with traceability and certs with it and its always stuck one end on like the worlds strongest sticker so i try to keep that end till last, or i use labels like marks.

Comment

Working...
                  X