PDA

View Full Version : New welding table

dan s
03-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I finished up my new welding table last night. It's the same idea put forth by Bob W. only with a 1/2" plate top.

The only real issue i have with it is that it has a 3/32" bow across the width that i can't get out. I tried everything i could think of, and i currently ;) don't have any tools in my arsenal that can produce enough force or heat to flatten steel this thick.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5452/84248115dc1.jpg

bob_s
03-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I tried everything i could think of, and i currently ;) don't have ant tools in my arsenal that can produce enough force or heat to flatten steel this thick.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5452/84248115dc1.jpg

I think that the machine (that rather large blue colored object) to the left of your welding table would be able to produce enough force ...

torker
03-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Dan..That's easy...you need to add a brace across the middle. Tack it..then make a "U" shaped lug...weld in on the bottom..build a wedge that fits in the "U" and over the brace (angle..or flatbar) and hammer the wege home til the bow is gone. Weld brace to bottom..done deal.
Russ

dan s
03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
I think that the machine (that rather large blue colored object) to the left of your welding table would be able to produce enough force ...

Actually the car was the first weapon i tried. I put a 2x4 on each side, and then lowered the car down onto it. It flattened the plate out, but didn't weight enough to permanently remove the bow.

tattoomike68
03-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Close counts. I dont think I have ever used a truely flat welding table.

BadDog
03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Actually the car was the first weapon i tried. I put a 2x4 on each side, and then lowered the car down onto it. It flattened the plate out, but didn't weight enough to permanently remove the bow.
It's not the lack of weight, but rather that you didn't exceed the elastic limits. If the boards were too close together, or not high enough off the ground, no amount of weight (within reason) is going to make a difference. When straightening a shaft, bending tube for a roll bar, or bending plate to a desired angle (including flat); you always have to allow for spring back by going past where you want to be. How far past is determined by material and structure.

And like Tat said, "close counts". My fab table is 1/2 and pretty darn flat (even after having 1000 lb weldments (well, loaded Dana 60 front axles) tossed up there). But perfectly flat? Nah. Flat enough for fixturing weldments? Easily...

Your Old Dog
03-08-2008, 02:22 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to give for the 1/2 plate? Was it cut for you or did you luck into that size?

BadDog
03-08-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't mind. I had it cut 4x4 and delivered along with material for the table base/shelf/etc, a buggy roll cage and other stuff (well above free delivery amount). It's been a couple of years, back before the worst of the price increases. Fact of the matter is I bought that load (and another, including material for ANOTHER cage and lots of "staple" material) specifically because I could see where things were going and wanted to stock up. I've still got at least a ton or more, and I'm really glad I got it when I did...

Anyway I seem to recall it was around $150? Seems like the whole order was maybe $600. I've got the receipt somewhere in a big folder of such things, but with the rise in prices, it's largely irrelevant...

dan s
03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to give for the 1/2 plate? Was it cut for you or did you luck into that size?

It was cut to size for me. It's 23" x 28" x 1/2" and set me back $75. It was the best i could do locally, I found better deals online, but shipping or travel costs (me driving to pick it up) made this the best deal.

BadDog
03-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Hehe, sorry to hijack, I thought he was talking to me. <oops> For some reason, I thought I read yours was 3/8 earlier, at least that's what was stuck in my head. In that case, at 1/2" the car might NOT have had enough weight to bend it past the elastic limit. Man, I've GOT to start reading less in a hurry and more for comprehension... <sigh>

Edit: Just for grins, I looked it up. $120 including the cut.

speedsport
03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I just bought a 3'x7'x 1/2" piece of hot rolled, plasma cut, $328.00 before sales tax (which I don't have to pay)

dan s
03-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Hehe, sorry to hijack, I thought he was talking to me. <oops> For some reason, I thought I read yours was 3/8 earlier, at least that's what was stuck in my head. In that case, at 1/2" the car might NOT have had enough weight to bend it past the elastic limit. Man, I've GOT to start reading less in a hurry and more for comprehension... <sigh>

Edit: Just for grins, I looked it up. $120 including the cut.

no problems...

Going back and re-reading it my self, I'm not sure who he was asking. :D