PDA

View Full Version : Logan lathe experts, a question...

Doc Nickel
03-08-2008, 01:31 AM
I have an older 11" Logan, which has a knob for engaging the carriage feed. I've never seen another with it- any others I've seen have a lever.

Would it be possible to retrofit the later (I'm assuming) lever to my knob carriage, with something like this assembly (http://cgi.ebay.com/LOGAN-LATHE-COMPLETE-LEVER-CLUTCH-ASSEMBLY_W0QQitemZ230229508847QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2 5290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)? (eBay auction for apron feed lever ass'y.)

In other words, is it a bolt-in, more or less, or are the apron castings and/or internal gearing different between the two?

Doc.

kendall
03-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Won't say it will definately bolt in, but I had my knob type apart a couple days ago, and that -looks- like it would mount up.

Have you given thought to putting a couple ramped disks under the knob?
While I had mine apart, I thought it looked like it would be fairly simple to do.
One disk thick enough to be hollowed out so as to fit over the retaining nut, with a set screw to hold it in position, the other with a handle on it for engagement.
Don't know if you would need a real 'ramp' or if just a shallow diagonal cut accross a suitable chunk of steel would work, angle would depend on how fast you want it to act, drawback could be that it would be double acting, so you'd have to fab up a stop so you didn't slip it past nuetral and straight into crunch.

Every one I've had used the lever too, and the knob doesn't seem normal to me.

Ken.

Doc Nickel
03-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Well, my knob assembly works fine for the time being, and I'm quite used to it by now.

I've never opened the apron to see how it's assembled, but the knob spins slowly as the leadscrew turns, which means I can't just swap the knob for a lever.

But if this drops in, more or less, I might grab it for a later upgrade...

Doc.

BadDog
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a question for one of the Logan groups. Apparently there was some flack with Scott recently, but the answers are certainly there, maybe even in the archives.

You could also look in the Rockwell 11" manual (available in the Rockwell group files among other places) for an exploded view of how they do it. Same sort of cone clutch, adjusted by screw, but uses and over center cam lever to engage and lock. No rotation... If you want, I could capture that image and post it (so you don't need to sign up on the Rockwell group).