PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and tabs

John Stevenson
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Running Firefox 2.0.0.12 on a Win XP box and was Ok up until the last upgrade.
I have open new window as default but since the upgrade I now get some sites opening in new window then going to new tab part way thu.
This site does it. There doesn't seem to be a method to it, might open new windows all night then later it want's to revert to tabs.

Been into options > tools and checked settings but it's always new wondow.

Didn't happen on the earlier version and I don't know if you can go back a version as it's automatic.

I believe there is a config file for Firefox but have no idea where it is.

Any idea's guys ?

Frustrated in the UK :D

mochinist
03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
This add on gives you a lot of control over your tabs and windows
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/1122

also to get into the config files type this in your address bar about:config

dan s
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
John, what link do you click on at this site that gives you trouble?

John Stevenson
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Dan,
i might read the thread on say Tailsock mods which opens up as the same window.
I then back key to the General page and click a new thread and it may open up as a window or it can open up as a new tab.
Hard to say it doesn't follow any pattern.

Just checked the config and in the following screen shot the numbers read 2, 2, 1 when window was selected in tools.
Whan tab was selected it read 3,2,1 so i edited the first one to read 1,2,1 and I'll see how this goes.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/window.jpg

JRouche
03-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Tools, Options, Tabs??? JRouche

Duh!! Sorry, you know the operation already.. Hmm, I would try uninstalling it and reinstalling it... Then rebooting.. Maybe the upgrade isnt all that perfect and a clean wipe of FF then a fresh install.. I know (and way different but still) windows upgrades never really worked well for me. Always had to do a wipe and a clean install. And yeah, its a operating system so that is to be expected and completely different from a simple browser upgrade. Just a thought..

bhjones
03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I just had a hell of a time with the automatic updates on Thunderbird. Turned out it was some file locking problem prompted by my webcam software (Logitech quickcam). Maybe Firefox is having similar issues.

I'd try booting into safe mode and uninstalling/reinstalling the software.

John Stevenson
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh well swapping the 2 for a 1 didn't work.
Half way thru answering replies this morning it wandered off into tab mode again.......

Time to strangle it..................

GadgetBuilder
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I had trouble with the upgrade to 2.0.0.12 also, wouldn't run properly after the automatic upgrade. I removed it and reinstalled and now it works just like the earlier version. Prior to this the auto-updates were flawless.

John

Thomas Staubo
03-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I also have version 2.0.0.12 , but everything is and works normal here.

Here's a link to Installing a previous version of Firefox (http://support-stage.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing+a+previous+version+of+Firefox), maybe that will help you.